This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can pc master race build stronger 1300$ pc than 1300$ laptop from shop?

#21PhilOnDezPosted 8/5/2014 9:29:58 PM
That build will work, it has problems though

I don't think that mobo supports overclocking. Get a Z97 board to be 100% sure but MSI and Asus have released low end boards with OCin capabilities in the not too distant past, not sure about the other vendors though ASRock was actually one of the first. They did it last year I think, a B85 board that would OC, though intel didn't like it at the time.

Powercolor isn't a brand I'd buy, and I wouldn't go AMD, at least not 290/290x, on a personal itx build, though I'd be going a helluva lot smaller than a prodigy which shouldn't have a problem with them.

Onto the prodigy. Fine case, nothing wrong with it, it's just bigger than some MATX cases.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#22blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 10:33:17 PM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
That build will work, it has problems though

I don't think that mobo supports overclocking. Get a Z97 board to be 100% sure but MSI and Asus have released low end boards with OCin capabilities in the not too distant past, not sure about the other vendors though ASRock was actually one of the first. They did it last year I think, a B85 board that would OC, though intel didn't like it at the time.

Powercolor isn't a brand I'd buy, and I wouldn't go AMD, at least not 290/290x, on a personal itx build, though I'd be going a helluva lot smaller than a prodigy which shouldn't have a problem with them.

Onto the prodigy. Fine case, nothing wrong with it, it's just bigger than some MATX cases.

Haha thanks. So better motherboard allows overclocking? Oh, i saw that one i selected had usb 3.0 port...

As with most parts i just chose cheap-ish ones with decent reviews.,, just tried to get 1666hz (1600?) ram and full hd 60hz monitor (1920x1080) with best gpu+cpu combo. Will tune the build accordingly based upon suggestions you all helped me with.

Oh, and what about power supply? Better ones use less electricity and/or produce less heat? Or is it something more to it?

As for powercolor... I saw like 50 options for 290 :D

how to choose correct one? Maybe some are overclocked older cards or something?

@topic

most people seem to suggest

Node 304/bitphoenix prodigy / corsair graphite 380t cases for lan pc's...

Are there any other honourable mentions or are they really that good?
---
Official worst dota 2 boards player. 14-08-26
#23blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 1:25:10 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jW3CZL

changed motherboard (is it overclockable now?), swapped to cheaper cpu (not overkill like last one), swapped R290 for cooler, albeit weaker nvidia 770. Still, dont know if fans/cd writers and stuff are compactible (in size) with my case (its hard to pick a case, just used one most people suggested)

with 230$ amd fx 9370 and my $872 build looks i still got some dollars to spend elsewhere (or just use them to buy games)

what do you guys think?
---
#24MrLostPosted 8/6/2014 5:31:00 PM
That Motherboard is an FM2+ socket. The FX line are AM3+ CPUs. Not compatible. And the FX 9000 series are overpriced and power-hungry. Just an FX 8350 cranked up to a frequency you could probably hit yourself with ease on any decent cooler. Not worth it. 4690k is an outrageously superior product.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xwHxxr

You had a 40mm fan selected for whatever reason. I'm assuming you wanted a 140mm for the Prodigy M's rear exhaust mount. Also switched to a wireless card which has 5ghz band capability. Only a dollar more, definitely worth it. And an SSD because the budget allowed for it, and dem Windows boot times. Got enough room for a few of your favourite games and applications as well.
---
R.I.P. George Carlin (May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008)
The greatest comedian to ever grace the stage.
#25TornarusPosted 8/7/2014 2:31:21 AM(edited)
MrLost posted...
That Motherboard is an FM2+ socket. The FX line are AM3+ CPUs. Not compatible. And the FX 9000 series are overpriced and power-hungry. Just an FX 8350 cranked up to a frequency you could probably hit yourself with ease on any decent cooler. Not worth it. 4690k is an outrageously superior product.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xwHxxr

You had a 40mm fan selected for whatever reason. I'm assuming you wanted a 140mm for the Prodigy M's rear exhaust mount. Also switched to a wireless card which has 5ghz band capability. Only a dollar more, definitely worth it. And an SSD because the budget allowed for it, and dem Windows boot times. Got enough room for a few of your favourite games and applications as well.

*cant post on old account*

thanks!
As said before, i dont know a thing about motherboards and stuff, the site thought they were OK with other components.

As for cpu, i can swear http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html#

shown that amd was a little bit faster, but you may be right. Amd parts are known to get hot...

i chose fans with most RPM, good thing that you saw error. I dont know what parts fit the case (dvd writer/storage) :(

Oh, and i guess you cant get better cpu+gpu combo. But should i invest the left-over money for extra ram/different monitor?

and i asked around and turns out i have to pay 20% duties to USA and 21% +3-5% duties for my country for stuff i buy from usa.

It might be cheaper to buy things here, albeit some parts look suspicious

http://www.skytech.lt/gvn770oc2gd-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-ddr5-256-bit-hdmi-dvi-box-p-152540.html

this is gigabyte 770gtx, costs 407$ in my country. EVGA 770gtx, the one you suggested in partpicker with duties from usa cost 447$.....

dont know what to do. Those cards look totally different in pictures!!!
---
anger
manifests itself in different ways
#26MrLostPosted 8/7/2014 3:35:15 AM
Tornarus posted...
*cant post on old account*

thanks!
As said before, i dont know a thing about motherboards and stuff, the site thought they were OK with other components.

With the other components, yes, but you didn't add the CPU. If you had tried, first of all, it wouldn't show up in the list by default because the site has a compatibility filter. And if you had turned the filter off and added the CPU anyway, it would have given you an incompatibility warning on the list of parts.

As for cpu, i can swear http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html#

shown that amd was a little bit faster, but you may be right. Amd parts are known to get hot...

Passmark is benchmarking software. It takes full advantage of multiple threads during its tests. The FX 9000 line are able to run eight threads simultaneously, where the i5 line is limited to four threads. And as I said, the FX 9000 line are highly factory overclocked versions of the FX 8300 line. They're not bad processors performance-wise, but they're power hungry and run hot (which means you'd probably be paying extra for a REALLY good cooling system just for stock performance) and while I haven't checked, I can't imagine there's much room to push them further with overclocking than what you'd be getting out of the box. They're not efficient.

The i5 4690k is a better processor for gaming. Very few games take advantage of more than four cores, and the current Haswell architecture is much more efficient than AMD's Piledriver architecture. Clock-for-clock, the i5 will wipe the floor with the FX processors in any game or application limited to four threads or fewer.

i chose fans with most RPM, good thing that you saw error. I dont know what parts fit the case (dvd writer/storage) :(

Quick tip: higher RPM usually means higher noise. Smaller fans have to spin faster than larger fans to move the same amount of air, so a 40mm like that one could get quite noisy and irritating.

Oh, and i guess you cant get better cpu+gpu combo. But should i invest the left-over money for extra ram/different monitor?

8GB of RAM is more than enough for most every build right now, unless you're doing serious video editing or something like that. A better monitor might be a good idea.

and i asked around and turns out i have to pay 20% duties to USA and 21% +3-5% duties for my country for stuff i buy from usa.

It might be cheaper to buy things here, albeit some parts look suspicious

http://www.skytech.lt/gvn770oc2gd-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-ddr5-256-bit-hdmi-dvi-box-p-152540.html

this is gigabyte 770gtx, costs 407$ in my country. EVGA 770gtx, the one you suggested in partpicker with duties from usa cost 447$.....

dont know what to do. Those cards look totally different in pictures!!!

What country do you live in? The board might be able to piece together a build for you based on domestic prices using different websites.
---
#27TornarusPosted 8/7/2014 7:05:31 AM(edited)
i live in lithuania, europe. AFAIK usa usually adds 20% fee for exported goods to non-usa (there are some expections, like gifts, personal stuff, ''broken'' things and blah blah).

for example http://www.dutycalculator.com/

said that america should not add duty for gtx 770 (but it may be false info). But european union countries like lithuania add VAT payement (21% in LTU) and sometimes few percent duty for expensive goods. I checked around ebay and prices for 770gtx are even higher... sometimes 450-480$ for 320$ card.

i was willing to pay that 20% for usa, but extra 21% VAT and duties for my country make me think twice. Good thing there are no duties/vats between european union but as said before, parts in UK are usually sky-high expensive.

Maybe there are some nvidia/other component company shops in europe (those usually ask the same price like in usa)? That might do the trick...
---
anger
manifests itself in different ways
#28blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 8:59:33 AM
@mr.lost/pc master race of gamefaqs

Bump...

Dont know what you
meant about domestic prices, but i am still hopefully waiting for it :D
---
#29MrLostPosted 8/8/2014 3:55:58 PM
Well, by domestic prices, I meant checking online stores that operated out of your country, but I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting Lithuania. This one might be tough. PC Part Picker has options for a few European countries. Just use the location selector in the top right and switch to one of them, then go into any category of parts and look for the list of merchants in the filters on the right. See if any of those merchants might be an option to order your parts from, and maybe we can go from there.
---
#30blackwolfLT7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 3:10:55 AM
Noted. As said before, european union countries have no duties (and vat?) for imported goods from other european countries. I will check around to see if there is a service that re-routes/re-sends goods from one country to another; example:

merchant/company is located in germany and only trades within germany. I contact some services and they send stuff from some germany point to me.
---