This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of getting a Chromebook for Linux. But can Linux take advantage of LTE?

#1LyokoNinjaPosted 8/3/2014 3:58:24 PM(edited)
Before anyone says that I should just get a cheap Windows 8 laptop, I want to make this clear:
I'm not looking for a Windows device. I already have a Windows 7 desktop with my long-term sights set on a Surface Pro 3, but currently I'd just like a cheap little portable device for web browsing and minor word processing and such, as I don't have a laptop (and the OpenPandora doesn't count, imo). I don't see the point of having more than one Windows desktop or laptop (which I'll be treating the SP3 as), so I figure I might as well get a Chromebook for cheap and put Arch on it for more features.

I saw that getting a new HP Chromebook 14 will give me a free 200 MB of data from T-Mobile for the life of the device, so it's either $300 or $350 for it depending on whether I want 2 or 4 GB of RAM. If Linux can use it, then I'll be getting a new one of either of those two. Anyone know if it does, or what site I could visit to get this information?

If it can't, then there's also different models of the Acer C720. One of them is only $180 with 2 GB of RAM. All of the previously mentioned models have 16 GB of flash storage and an Intel Celeron 2955U processor. There is also a model of the Acer C720 with 4 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage, and an i3-4005U for $380, which I'll get if Linux can't use the 200 MB of data and I can justify the extra $200.

EDIT: Seems the HP Chromebook 14 with 4 GB of RAM is available on Amazon for $330. If that's what I'm getting, I'm definitely going for 4 GB of RAM.
---
Wanna be the biggest dreamer!