This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember when games only mapped the arrow keys for movement?

#11Orestes417Posted 8/4/2014 7:31:54 AM
You recall incorrectly. DOOM had mouse support, but not freelook. It's referenced in it's manual. Don't recall if Wolf3D did or not.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#12MonkeymagePosted 8/4/2014 7:37:11 AM
Orestes417 posted...
You recall incorrectly. DOOM had mouse support, but not freelook. It's referenced in it's manual. Don't recall if Wolf3D did or not.

Wolf3D also had mouse support, but you couldn't use the keyboard and the mouse concurrently, if I recall.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#13FaPaThYPosted 8/4/2014 7:38:25 AM
Nothing wrong with arrow keys, unless you're right-handed. I used them up to BF1942 and still wrecked people.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#14BeerOnTapPosted 8/4/2014 7:54:37 AM
Pretty sure UT99 had arrow keys by default.
But I always played it at my friend's house so maybe he had changed it?
#15MonkeymagePosted 8/4/2014 10:24:14 AM
FaPaThY posted...
Nothing wrong with arrow keys, unless you're right-handed. I used them up to BF1942 and still wrecked people.

I used to use the arrow keys as a kid. When I got back into PC gaming as an adult, I found using the arrow keys extremely impractical, as the amount of buttons required to play a game greatly exceeds the buttons required for simplistic shooters of yore.

I think for a while I was trying to play BF:BC2 with the arrow keys for movement, shift for sprint, Ctrl for crouch, Numpad0 for melee, Numpad1 for reload, PgDn for grenades, etc. Just forces your hand into unnatural positions.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#16ClashtonnPosted 8/4/2014 10:32:45 AM
I have a friend who, after thousands of hours of Counterstrike, STILL remaps keys to use arrows instead of wasd
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#17superbowl54Posted 8/4/2014 11:18:40 AM
I have no idea how I used to play with those old controls so much.
---
360: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence; Steam: superbowl54
MS needs to patch out the uselessness called Kinect.
#18LordSeiferPosted 8/4/2014 11:25:22 AM(edited)
the real problem wasnt arrow keys , it was having only 2 buttons on your ball mouse(and no scroll wheel)
---
^ this
#19DC07301981Posted 8/4/2014 11:28:05 AM
I vaguely recall playing some games back in the 90's that used the arrow keys for movement but can't recall which ones. If you've ever played the older Elder Scrolls games, you used the mouse for movement by clicking and holding on the edges of the screen. Now that is a pain. I'm glad you are able to map movement keys now with those games.
#20rainedownPosted 8/4/2014 12:02:29 PM
I was not the biggest PC nerd at the time so I may have missed other games that released at the same time, but Quake was the game changer for controls in my group. Literally went from using full keyboard for FPS games to using (split) wasd and arrows with mouse (which had to be enabled with +mlook in the console iirc!).

I think the mouse played the biggest conversion factor to was, too, as it gave most of us more comfortable space to work with rather than being crumpled up on one side of the desk. Not to mention with being able to use the mouse we didn't need the home/end/etc. keys as much.