This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I seem to be better with controller than K+M!? Isn't that weird?

#1U1gitaroomanPosted 8/4/2014 7:26:21 AM
So, quick history: I've been a gamer for 26 years, since I was 2. I grew up with consoles and didn't have a PC at all until I was, like 13. I didn't get into PC games until I was like twenty.

So i've been playing PC games for about 8 years now and I think it's safe to say I'm "well practiced." I understand the concepts of aiming and the feel of a mouse. I've played many of the big hits on PC, like battlefield 1942, Bad Company 2, Tribes 3, Unreal, etc. I usually do pretty well, not gonna BS and say I always come in first, but I'm usually in the upper half of a match.

However, consoles were omnipresent in my life. I played a lot of MW and CodBlops, along with many, many other console-specific and/or single-player games on consoles: Warhawk, Turok 1 and 2, Timesplitters (man i love timesplitters and miss it dearly).

Recently, though, my gaming habits have switched to almost ALL PC. Thanks to steam sales, primarily, if a game is coming out, I get it on PC. I also just bought a Niiiiice PC ($1,200) and have a nice gaming mouse (Mamba) so it's safe to say I spend a lot of time on PC now, and have for a while.

So now to the meat of the REAL story:

I was playing Titanfall last night with a friend after a bout of Dark Souls 2. I use a ps3 controller for DS2 and it was hooked up while I loaded up Titanfall. I looked down at the controller and was like "why not?" and played a match with the controller. I. Kicked. ASS! I then played with the controller the rest of the night. I know there are tons of variables in a match, but I usually average somewhere between 40-60 attribution points but last night I was averating 60-80! I even beat my grunt kills record, I think, at around 70 kills (without smartpistol, btw).

Oh, for what it's worth, my buddy switched to a controller for a few rounds too and did well. He eventually switched back but made it clear he was surprised how effective the controller was.

So what gives!? I've heard the usual arguments the keyboard and mouse is superior, 1:1 movement ratio, no deadzone, etc. And it's not like i'm a complete total keyboard noob. But once the controller slipped back into my hand it was like wearing an old, comfortable suit! Suddenly everything just felt better.

Now, the thing that really gets me is I was going up against other K+M users who are supposed to have such an advantage over me (if all the arguments for K+M are to be believed) but yet I was scoring some of the best scores I've made. The times I died didn't leave me with a "darn, if only I had my mouse I could had aimed faster!" feeling. I know that with the keyboard and mouse, sometimes, during the heat of the moment, I'll overcompensate when aiming and wind up shooting too far to the left or right of the person I was trying to kill. That doesn't happen with the sticks because of how the aiming works, namely how you have to hold in a direction for the appropriate amount of time rather than moving the mouse so many fractions of an inch.

anyway, I just wanted to get some insight from gameFAQs at large. Any explanation on why? My friend I shared this story with basically said, "Mouse is better. end of story." and insisted that if I kept playing I'd get better with the keyboard and mouse.... I think 8 years of fairly extensive PC gaming is plenty of time to practice in. I imagine i'm about as good as I'll ever be.
---
Listen to me. I'm a sage!
#2Doolz2024Posted 8/4/2014 7:29:25 AM
Doesn't Titanfall have aim assist enabled for controller users?
---
4670K | EVGA GTX 780 | G-Skill 8GB
Full build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Doolz/saved/3RJ3
#3dementedlullabyPosted 8/4/2014 7:52:34 AM
Doolz2024 posted...
Doesn't Titanfall have aim assist enabled for controller users?

Indeed.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#4foodeater4Posted 8/4/2014 8:14:46 AM(edited)
Aim assit and you simply might just be better with a controller, but I think you will eventually reach a cap never get better playing against good KB and mouse people. And using a KB and mouse doesn't automatically make you better then every controller player out there. You still need to be good. Overall I don't think a controller is that much disadvantaged then a mouse if your just playing casually for fun. . People who KB and mouse snobs act like its so hard to aim with a right controller stick, but after playing consoles my entire life in addition o PC's, usuing a stick to aim is perfectually natural to me also. Anyways, play with what you like.

The keyboard is clunky, your using it for something it wasn't really designed for. But the mouse does offer a lot of precision. There are sticks you can buy for your left hand for movement and still use the mouse on your right hand, to me that is the ideal set up.
#5U1gitarooman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 8:24:27 AM
Ah, well I guess aim assist might be a part of that then. Explains a lot.

Ill probably keep playing titanfall with controller as long as it's fun. Because it is. suppose i'll change it up depending on the game then.
---
#6ClashtonnPosted 8/4/2014 8:28:54 AM
Titanfall is fun, but it's far from competitive. Use whatever you find more comfortable. Mouse is required for MOBAs, RTS and competitive FPS. Besides that, who really cares?
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#7jake-sfPosted 8/4/2014 8:39:04 AM(edited)
foodeater4 posted...

The keyboard is clunky, your using it for something it wasn't really designed for. But the mouse does offer a lot of precision. There are sticks you can buy for your left hand for movement and still use the mouse on your right hand, to me that is the ideal set up.

Yeah, no, the keyboard isn't clunky. Dual-stick controls for FPS is a thousand time clunkier and weirder to get used to than using a versatile keyboard for controlling your character.

Keyboard & mouse is obviously better in every way, but if you're so used to the controller, of course you'll do better, but there are clear disadvantages.

I'll keep thinking that dual-stick controls for a FPS feel more like controlling a mech (which is ironically fine for that part of Titanfall I guess? :P), which will always feel more limited than the perfect mouse aiming, and even the straight, responsive and direct feel of keyboard movement.

From what I've seen of Titanfall, I can see a focus on movement and flanking to be far more important than pure aiming -> like most modern, console-based FPS titles.

That means a controller is less limiting, assuming you're good at the rest. But try and deal with multiple people at ridiculously different angle, people that can be above, around, behind and under you in a split second, and tell me that using a controller doesn't make you feel handicapped.

I'd still recommend you train mouse & keyboard because I know its less limiting and thus, once you're used to both, mouse really is just absolute, joyful vision.

I simply cannot imagine how you can ever control the "head" with a controller. Instead, I feel like you'Re forever controlling the "body". A mouse and keyboard feels a lot more like I have the ridiculous agility of even my own eyes. Its hard to describe, but I can't give that "freedom" up anymore.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#8Blobs_Posted 8/4/2014 8:59:13 AM
Basically what others are saying is "If you like using a controller, and you aren't getting your ass kicked, then why the hell not?"
---
is haha
#9U1gitarooman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 9:02:18 AM
And see, this is why I included my history. I was born an raised on console games, so I often find myself occasionally clicking the wrong keys on the keyboard. My hypothesis is that not having been so ingrained to it is occasionally making me make mistakes like that. In either case, I dont find movement to be clunky with the sticks. In fact, foodeater's coment about sticks for the left hand is something i've often fantasized about an will be researching. The smooth movement of analog movement sounds much better than binary "on/off" movement of tapping keys.

I mean i can see that maybe it's this game-type that's workin for me, along with the aim-assist. I admit i can't see myself playing unreal with controllers.

Jake, you suggest I train my K+M skills, but do you have any suggestions for that? Like i said in my OP, I've played keyboard and mouse games for years already. I think im about as good as I'm ever going to get, honestly.
---
#10pothocketPosted 8/4/2014 9:05:14 AM
Yeah, no, the keyboard isn't clunky. Dual-stick controls for FPS is a thousand time clunkier and weirder to get used to than using a versatile keyboard for controlling your character.

You're free to have whatever opinion you want but no, dual analogue is not more "clunky" than a keyboard.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif