This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I seem to be better with controller than K+M!? Isn't that weird?

#11dementedlullabyPosted 8/4/2014 9:08:50 AM
U1gitarooman posted...

Ill probably keep playing titanfall with controller as long as it's fun. Because it is.

Well the point of games is to have fun so I agree. I haven't played Titanfall with a controller but I imagine it is well suited to it. Console was the lead for it after all.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#12HappyHippo04Posted 8/4/2014 9:10:42 AM
U1gitarooman posted...
And see, this is why I included my history. I was born an raised on console games, so I often find myself occasionally clicking the wrong keys on the keyboard. My hypothesis is that not having been so ingrained to it is occasionally making me make mistakes like that. In either case, I dont find movement to be clunky with the sticks. In fact, foodeater's coment about sticks for the left hand is something i've often fantasized about an will be researching. The smooth movement of analog movement sounds much better than binary "on/off" movement of tapping keys.

I mean i can see that maybe it's this game-type that's workin for me, along with the aim-assist. I admit i can't see myself playing unreal with controllers.

Jake, you suggest I train my K+M skills, but do you have any suggestions for that? Like i said in my OP, I've played keyboard and mouse games for years already. I think im about as good as I'm ever going to get, honestly.

You and I are in the same, yet opposite boat. My first ever game was Doom with my dad when I was 3. Have been playing PC games since. Played a bit of sponsored CS 1.6 and CS:S in High School/early college and dabbled in some semi-competitive MW4 (TWL and all that jazz).

Mouse - Keyboard is ingrained for me. I can transfer to a controller fine but it's just not the same for me; and I always do worse. Using what you grew up with will probably always feel more natural and "comfortable". In games like Titan Fall I say stick with what you enjoy.

The only way to practice is to play. You may have peaked, but I think someone can always improve if they have the mind to do it.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#13U1gitarooman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 2:03:49 PM
I wasn't being facetious earlier when i asked out training, I'm totally serious. If anyone knows a definitive way to improve aiming abilities I'd be up for it. Because I've been playing for the 8 years and I'm still not great at it. Haha.
---
Listen to me. I'm a sage!
#14machetemanPosted 8/4/2014 2:45:54 PM
U1gitarooman posted...
Because I've been playing for the 8 years and I'm still not great at it. Haha.

In your first post, you said you played Unreal, Tribes 3, BC2, and did pretty well? I don't see how you can say you are not great at it, but also come in at the top half of the leaderboards in multiple online FPS?

The skill cap for mouse/KB is higher than that of a controller. You are much more likely to run into players who are "better" than you with mouse/KB than you are a controller as well....which makes you look more average.
#15dummy420Posted 8/4/2014 2:52:26 PM
I grew up on consoles as well and prefer controller in most games including single player FPS. I have improved alot on my keyboard skills but still prefer controller when I am not left at a disadvantage by it.
---
Trying is the first step towards failure, so just dont give it a shot and you cant dissapoint.
#16SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/4/2014 2:57:35 PM
Depends on the game. If it's something with extreme aim assist and low health(Biggest examples would be the Modere Warfare games), controller is probably better because you don't really have to aim.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#17U1gitarooman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 3:31:45 PM
macheteman posted...
U1gitarooman posted...
Because I've been playing for the 8 years and I'm still not great at it. Haha.

In your first post, you said you played Unreal, Tribes 3, BC2, and did pretty well? I don't see how you can say you are not great at it, but also come in at the top half of the leaderboards in multiple online FPS?

The skill cap for mouse/KB is higher than that of a controller. You are much more likely to run into players who are "better" than you with mouse/KB than you are a controller as well....which makes you look more average.

Well I meant in the context of "K+M is so much better" and yet I'm doing equally good with controller, therefore I must not be as great as the K+M as I thought.

Anyway, I think we nailed why I'm doing so well at Titanfall, the AA and the genre of FPS it is. If It was quake or unreal, there is no way this would work, I dont think.
---
Listen to me. I'm a sage!
#18The cranky hermitPosted 8/4/2014 4:34:45 PM
Movement with a controller isn't as good an idea as one might think. Pressing keys means instantly moving at full acceleration in a perfectly accurate orthogonal direction. Analog sticks have throw time, and you can't "hit" the desired position with 100% accuracy 100% of the time. For most shooters, being able to fine-tune the degrees of your movement and fine-tune your speed is less valuable than being able to hit the eight orthogonal directions at full speed with perfect accuracy.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#19JockoPosted 8/4/2014 5:44:05 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Movement with a controller isn't as good an idea as one might think. Pressing keys means instantly moving at full acceleration in a perfectly accurate orthogonal direction. Analog sticks have throw time, and you can't "hit" the desired position with 100% accuracy 100% of the time. For most shooters, being able to fine-tune the degrees of your movement and fine-tune your speed is less valuable than being able to hit the eight orthogonal directions at full speed with perfect accuracy.

Use d-pad for movement. Problem solved with better solution?
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#20LoshadtPosted 8/4/2014 5:49:20 PM
M+KB is a better control scheme for first person games because the mouse offers much more precision with aiming, it's really a no-brainer.
---
Scientifically proven.