This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I seem to be better with controller than K+M!? Isn't that weird?

#21rareware101Posted 8/4/2014 6:09:17 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Movement with a controller isn't as good an idea as one might think. Pressing keys means instantly moving at full acceleration in a perfectly accurate orthogonal direction. Analog sticks have throw time, and you can't "hit" the desired position with 100% accuracy 100% of the time. For most shooters, being able to fine-tune the degrees of your movement and fine-tune your speed is less valuable than being able to hit the eight orthogonal directions at full speed with perfect accuracy.

Erm, yea... Really not that big of an issue.
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#22SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/4/2014 6:34:10 PM(edited)
Loshadt posted...
M+KB is a better control scheme for first person games because the mouse offers much more precision with aiming, it's really a no-brainer.

It's no longer a no-brainer with the levels of aim assist we see nowadays. Sometimes it renders precision aiming ineffective.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#23Chaos_MissilePosted 8/4/2014 7:23:31 PM
Clashtonn posted...
Mouse is required for MOBAs, RTS and competitive FPS. Besides that, who really cares?

Mouse is also useful for games like Alien Breed ad Halo Spartan Assault which uses mouse-aiming

It's also useful for overhead RPGs like Diablo, Torchlight, Titans Quest as it gives you a degree of aiming, for both spells and range attacks without moving

It is also much better with third-person game since you can control the camera much faster than using a joystick to drag it around

I'm playing Darksiders 2 now with a Mouse/Keyboard and most of my "deaths" were due to me now completely understanding how the wall-run mechanics work. That and I actually did do some random stuffs like jump into a pit or lava just to see what would happen.

I have not used the aim-mode provided in game, except to check for enemy health, which means yes I am completely controlling the camera with the mouse.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#24The cranky hermitPosted 8/4/2014 7:44:59 PM
Use d-pad for movement. Problem solved with better solution?

Keys > d-pad. The d-pad still requires doing motions with your thumb, and that is still slower and more prone to screwing up than pressing/depressing buttons with a finger on each of them.

Try putting a finger on A, another finger on W, and another finger on D. Press and hold A. You are moving left. Now simultaneously release the A key while pushing D with your other finger. You have instantly switched directions, with zero chance of accidentally moving forward or diagonally, even slightly. You can switch back and forth rapidly too.

Now try putting your thumb on the left direction of a d-pad. Move it right and left rapidly. It won't be nearly as rapid, and you'll likely hit up or down a few times too.

There's also the whole fact that by using the d-pad, you've defeated the entire argument of using an analog stick over a keyboard - the ability to move at precise angles without adjusting your aim and fine control over movement speed.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#25LoshadtPosted 8/4/2014 7:59:18 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
It's no longer a no-brainer with the levels of aim assist we see nowadays. Sometimes it renders precision aiming ineffective.

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit, that would have to be aimbot level aim assist to make up for the lack of precision.
---
Scientifically proven.
#26kobalobasileusPosted 8/4/2014 8:22:32 PM
Keyboards are not meant for gaming. Period.

While you might be at some slight disadvantage using a stick vs a mouse, the OTHER stick that controls your movement and the ergonomic button layout that replaces the keyboard's cluster**** layout more than makes up for it.
#27The cranky hermitPosted 8/4/2014 8:32:46 PM
It doesn't matter whether or not keyboards are "meant" for gaming. And, BTW, some of them are. The bottom line is they're the most effective tool for the job, and that isn't inconsistent with being "not meant for gaming." Computers themselves aren't meant for gaming, but they're as good or better at every aspect of it than anything that *is* meant for gaming.

Using a stick instead a mouse is a HUGE disadvantage. It is almost impossible to exaggerate this. An average mouse user can pull off shots that just aren't possible on a gamepad.

And having an analog stick for movement isn't all that great, for reasons I discussed earlier, but can be summarized as "Moving fast and accurately > moving precisely."
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#28SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/4/2014 8:52:25 PM(edited)
Loshadt posted...

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit, that would have to be aimbot level aim assist to make up for the lack of precision.

Not really. Recently I found out I'm better at hitting criticals on BL2 by just winging the edge of the assist zone and snapping an ADS shot, than I am at actually aiming for the critical zone. And I can do that quite a bit faster than lining up a shot.

Now granted BL2 has extremely generous aim assist, but not that extreme, and the enemies are bullet sponges, but if someone could transfer that kind of skill over to a game like one if the MW or BO game where health is extremely low, they'd more than close the gap with a mouse user.

Haven't you ever heard of quickscoping?

Also, personally, I've never been able to hit flow with mouse aim, but I'm sure some people can. Subjectively, I believe that's easier on a pad.
---
#29SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/4/2014 8:41:29 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
It doesn't matter whether or not keyboards are "meant" for gaming. And, BTW, some of them are. The bottom line is they're the most effective tool for the job, and that isn't inconsistent with being "not meant for gaming." Computers themselves aren't meant for gaming, but they're as good or better at every aspect of it than anything that *is* meant for gaming.

Using a stick instead a mouse is a HUGE disadvantage. It is almost impossible to exaggerate this. An average mouse user can pull off shots that just aren't possible on a gamepad.

And having an analog stick for movement isn't all that great, for reasons I discussed earlier, but can be summarized as "Moving fast and accurately > moving precisely."

Lol, there is no such thing.
---
#30LoshadtPosted 8/4/2014 10:24:21 PM
Haven't you ever heard of quickscoping?

Also, personally, I've never been able to hit flow with mouse aim, but I'm sure some people can. Subjectively, I believe that's easier on a pad.

I don't know about the other ones, but CoD Black Ops 2 does not have aim assist on the PC version, not even with a controller. But yes quickscoping is basically the abuse of auto-aim to get your kills, it's much less prevalent on PC.
---
Scientifically proven.