This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of getting into a MMO

#1unknowninfo775Posted 8/4/2014 9:33:02 AM
I remember my entire early teen years being sunk into runescape. I would come home from school and literally play it till I went to sleep. I've always been more of an indoorsy video game person moreso than an outdoorsy person so MMO's are just right for me I guess.

I think I'm kinda of torn between WOW and ARR. (I bought wow but as I was a stupid kid I made and account then forgot the password. I did this 3 times (I bought a new copy each time).
I turn 17 this Saturday and I'll be getting a job soon enough so I'll be able to pay the monthly fee easy enough I just don't know which one to get.
---
Two milkmen go comedy
-Official Isa of the Kingdom Hearts 3 board-
#2nellyfan804Posted 8/4/2014 9:36:43 AM
WoW is so far past its prime its sad really, then again it's still the #1 MMORPG to date......
On the other hand, ARR is fantastic but has no end game..........
---
Psn-JillValentine Xbox Live-KulaXDiamond Steam-Medicman11
#3DawnshadowPosted 8/4/2014 9:54:49 AM
If you're prone to over-indulgent gaming habits you might not want to get into an MMO. They're fun, but they can also eat your life if you let them. But with school and a job, you should be okay; just remember that school and work are more important than getting that next upgrade. :)

Do you know what user name or email you used for WoW? https://us.battle.net/account/support/identify-account.html?requestType=PASSWORD_RESET

Presuming you used your actual name and address for the account and have an ID, you might-- MIGHT--even be able to get your account(s) back by talking to Customer Support and sending them a scan of your license or passport. It can't hurt to try, and it will save you $20 or so.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#4KURRUPTORPosted 8/4/2014 10:15:53 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't play an mmo. You said yourself how you used to sink pretty much all your time into it. Don't go down that road again brother. This comes from a former mmo addict.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#5NemerlightPosted 8/4/2014 10:41:37 AM
I would go with WoW. Atleast you know that game wont go F2P like most MMOs that come out nowdays.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif
#6Puckswack12Posted 8/4/2014 10:50:38 AM
I enjoyed tera quite a bit. It was refreshing that they made the combat more action oriented. The game has some pretty big flaws though, like most mmos. (Especially free ones)
---
Yup
#7acangialPosted 8/4/2014 11:04:22 AM
Do whatever makes you happy at the end of the day. MMOs can be addictive, but so is alcohol. Some people get addicted and some don't. If you can manage work/life balance then there is nothing wrong with playing a MMO vs. any other video game.

WoW is still king of MMOs despite what anyone will tell you. Most people who rag on it have spent 1000s of hours in it and are bored. They should just move on and stop giving people bad advice. I myself am starting to get bored with it, but I can't deny it was a great experience.

I also played a lot of Guild Wars 2. I gave up on it last year as I got bored of it and it doesn't have extra long legs to keep it going unless you get into a good guild that is competent at WvWvW. I still highly recommend it as the time I spent there was great.

I played FF14 ARR to max level and it just bored me to tears. There is very little endgame and the quests are the worst ones in RPG history. In addition, the community is mostly toxic unless you can get into a good guild. It's got great graphics and very well done UI, but not much past that.

I also put some time in SWTOR, but aside from the interesting quests in the beginning it's a copy/pasta of WoW. I was looking at to be the MMO KOTOR and it just didn't live up that expectation for me.
---
i5-3570K, GTX660 2GB, ASRock Z77 EXTRM4, CV 8GB DDR, Samsung 840 120GB, WD Caviar Blk 1T, XFX PRO750W, CM HAF 922, CM Hyp 212 EVO, Logitech G13 & G700
#8SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/4/2014 11:06:06 AM
Wildstar is the best new MMO out there.

If you don't like sci fi theres a crap ton of generic fantasy mmo's to pick from.

But I guess I would WoW, Guild Wars 2 or ESO.
#9jake-sfPosted 8/4/2014 11:09:15 AM
KURRUPTOR posted...
Do yourself a favor and don't play an mmo. You said yourself how you used to sink pretty much all your time into it. Don't go down that road again brother. This comes from a former mmo addict.

I support this post.

Around 17-18 years old myself I started playing WoW heavily, to the point where nobody would see me every week-end, because I had "raiding responsibilities" (are you ******* kiding me, when I think about this)

I hope you know yourself well enough. I could control myself now but I couldn't then. Just don't get trapped.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#10unknowninfo775(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 12:22:01 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...

I feel like I could control myself a little better. I mean I was like 11-12 back then with nothing more to do (didn't really have that many friends). I'm pretty much set that gaming is going to take a back seat to collage and work as much as it saddens me and I enjoy RPGs a lot.

Looks like WoWs winning in the votes. How much is the monthly fee btw? And is there plans like ARR?
---
Two milkmen go comedy
-Official Isa of the Kingdom Hearts 3 board-