This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you want a Mass Effect mmo?

#21kingoffpsPosted 8/4/2014 1:17:11 PM
ME3 destroyed any hope in video game story writing for me. No more ME games should be made.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#22pwnater777Posted 8/4/2014 1:19:57 PM
kingoffps posted...
ME3 destroyed any hope in video game story writing for me. No more ME games should be made.

Okay, I never finished ME3, and I always see so many people saying that the ending was godawful. I was enjoying the game up until the point where I simply didn't have enough time to keep playing it, so what gives? Where did everyone decide to hate on it? If need be, please spoil it for me.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#23BingSanpaoPosted 8/4/2014 1:28:20 PM
The ending is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine a point in time in the future were civilisation regressed to the point where 'we fight or we die' seems like like a valuable military tactic.
#24jaredt13Posted 8/4/2014 1:28:46 PM
pwnater777 posted...
kingoffps posted...

Okay, I never finished ME3, and I always see so many people saying that the ending was godawful. I was enjoying the game up until the point where I simply didn't have enough time to keep playing it, so what gives? Where did everyone decide to hate on it? If need be, please spoil it for me.

<SPOILERS>

Basically, every choice you ever made in the game was utterly irrelevant. The writers pulled some major deus ex machina out of their asses, and had some sentient AI that had been living for thousands of years tell you that you could end the war in one of three ways. Then you walk into a blue, green, or red beam of light ending the game. It was blatantly obvious that the writers ran out of ideas as they were writing ME3, and that they just phoned in the ending. They built up an epic story filled with major choices that heavily impacted events across multiple games, then in the final 30 minutes, they bring that entire thing crashing down, because it all ends exactly the same way no matter what.
---
"We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us." - Friedrich Nietzsche
#25kingoffpsPosted 8/4/2014 1:29:52 PM
pwnater777 posted...
kingoffps posted...

Half of the people will tell you it's because "your choices do not matter", and believe that this is why everyone hates the ending. This is not completely true. I personally didn't care about affecting the overall state of the ME universe.

The issue is the very bad writing full of plot holes.

SPOILER TIME

1) That magical device that you were building throughout the game is actually planted by the Reapers. It turns out that it can either kill all of the Reapers, along with all other synthetic technology (how the **** this can draw the line somewhere is beyond me - does my nice razer mouse stop working or what?), It can allow you to control the Reapers and make them fly away (the least ludicrous), or it allows you to somehow destroy the lines between organic and synthetic and create some "new type". This forces everyone in the galaxy to become this new type so EDI grows a vagina and all of our nice green trees presumably grow copper wiring in them. Or something. This is against everyone's will btw.

2) The Reaper leader dude explains that he exists in order to liquify races which reach certain technological levels in order to bottle them up as Reapers, as otherwise they would create synthetics and ultimately destroy themselves in a war. This is despite *you* possibly creating peace between the Geth and Quarians earlier on in the SAME GAME. Various other problems with this reasoning exist which you don't need me to go into.

3) Your military score throughout the game somehow affects whether the magical beam of light that you choose also kills lots of random innocents or not.

4) The mass relays all get destroyed (in the non-retconned ending at least) which was previously established to destroy solar systems. Everyone is therefore stranded on Earth and will starve to death as the various alien races eat a different type of food iirc.

5) The dark energy plot from the 2nd game is abandoned (this was the original and much better explanation for the Reapers).

Probably some other stuff that I missed. I was obsessed with ME but haven't touched any in 2.5 years.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#26Nineteen99Posted 8/4/2014 1:30:13 PM
MFW people still b**** about ME3's ending. http://youtu.be/moSFlvxnbgk
---
"There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief."
#27AsucaHayashiPosted 8/4/2014 1:30:27 PM
from what i remember all your choices and character progression etc. became moot since the ending bode down to 3 pretty generic choices.

also, the mass effect saga was revealed to be a story told from a parent to his son.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#28kingoffpsPosted 8/4/2014 1:31:06 PM
jaredt13 posted...
pwnater777 posted...
kingoffps posted...

<SPOILERS>

Basically, every choice you ever made in the game was utterly irrelevant. The writers pulled some major deus ex machina out of their asses, and had some sentient AI that had been living for thousands of years tell you that you could end the war in one of three ways. Then you walk into a blue, green, or red beam of light ending the game. It was blatantly obvious that the writers ran out of ideas as they were writing ME3, and that they just phoned in the ending. They built up an epic story filled with major choices that heavily impacted events across multiple games, then in the final 30 minutes, they bring that entire thing crashing down, because it all ends exactly the same way no matter what.

Please see my previous post explaining the plot problems. What you describe is true, but the "choices don't matter" is a very subjective problem. You are right though that the staff misled people before release (I think).
---
#29kingoffpsPosted 8/4/2014 1:32:54 PM
Oh that's it, I remember what I forgot: the cold reasoning behind the Reapers stuff is contradicted by the fact that there is one particular Reaper (called Harbinger I think) who you have a personal beef with since the 2nd game, who wants you to really suffer and is built up as a major antagonist (who you never fight in the end)
---
#30pwnater777Posted 8/4/2014 1:34:54 PM
I was wondering about maybe picking up ME3 again for only $2.69 on Xbox 360, but since it sounds like the ending choices are all piles of cow manure, should I spend that money on ME3 or some ice cream?
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe