This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you want a Mass Effect mmo?

#31GynthaeresPosted 8/4/2014 12:42:32 PM
I might play a Mass Effect MMO, if it weren't just a WoW clone / themepark like TOR, but actually innovated a little. Maybe if it was more of a sandbox-type thing.

Also, it'd have to be set post-ME3. I wouldn't play anything pre-ME3.

pwnater777 posted...
kingoffps posted...
ME3 destroyed any hope in video game story writing for me. No more ME games should be made.

Okay, I never finished ME3, and I always see so many people saying that the ending was godawful. I was enjoying the game up until the point where I simply didn't have enough time to keep playing it, so what gives? Where did everyone decide to hate on it? If need be, please spoil it for me.

SPOILERS AHEAD though I'm being rather general.

Basically, the original ending to ME3: Killed your entire squad / crew. Destroyed much of the galaxy as we knew it. Destroyed / killed everyone on the Citadel. Killed Shepard (and needlessly in 2/3 of the endings). Got rid of the whole faster-than-light thing, thus stranding huge numbers of alien soldiers on Earth and its surrounding stars, pretty much dooming the entire region to an age of war for scarce resources (particularly because Earth itself was pretty war-torn). It also rendered some things that happened previous irrelevant (particularly the quarians / geth and the Krogan) due to this.

One of the three endings relied on SPAAAAACE MAGIC to succeed, and forcefully changed every organic in the galaxy, regardless of whether or not they wanted it -- and this was the "best" ending. And regardless of which ending you chose, your previous choices didn't affect anything at all. If you got the Geth to help, or the Krogan to help, or recovered this rare starship, or whatever... didn't matter. All that mattered was getting your "points" up to a certain level.

Also, the handful of endings were color-coded and had very little variation. They were plot hole-filled, and relied entirely on a deus ex machina.

Oh, and the Reapers' entire purpose, the reason they're doing this, makes no sense. Basically, they're wiping out organics to prevent those organics from creating synthetics that wipe out organics. There is... a lot wrong with that line of reason, and aside from just the obvious.

So in a nutshell, that's basically what's wrong with the original ending.

The DLC ending, on the other hand... It fixed some of that. The galaxy's not destroyed, FTL travel / the mass relays still exist. Your squad/crew isn't all dead. The Citadel can be recovered. There's an epilogue that actually provides a slight bit of closure, as far as what happens with the various races (not your crew though).

Shepard still dies needlessly in 2/3 of the endings though. SPAAAACE MAGIC is still a problem. That deus ex machina actually gets worse. The logic is still terrible, there are still a bunch of plot holes / things that make no sense. And worse, they gave us a fourth ending, the "rejection" ending that lets us refuse the deus ex machina's help. And that ending results in a brief cutscene basically saying "Sorry, you lose. Game over, go back and pick a color-coded ending."

Had ME3 been released with the DLC ending, well... It would've still been terrible, but there wouldn't have been the uproar that there was. A lot of people were reasonably satisfied with the DLC ending. And really, as long as you have low standards and don't actually think about it, it wasn't god-awful. But it was just so much worse than anyone expected... Especially since Bioware themselves did a fine job with endings in the past, with both Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age Origins.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#32PhilOnDezPosted 8/4/2014 12:44:28 PM
I have no idea how they should have ended it so I won't harp on its problems from a storytelling aspect. My problem is that it is literally exactly what they said they would never do, that being an off-switch for the reapers. Admittedly, it was more a set of handlebars that Shep grabbed that killed him/her for no reason other than they thought that's what they thought we wanted/expected I guess. They also basically said, in response to how many endings would there be, something along the lines of 'It's not really fair to call it an ending, it's so much more than that, but if we had to call it, 18 or so, though everyone's will be different since no two players made all the same choices'. There were three endings, four with the extended cut, and the game ignored most of your choices through the series, even the big ones like killing the Rachni or letting them live.

As for the mmo, as long as it was basically the ME3 MP but with a persistent world, instances, better character customization (ie armor slots like pretty much every mmo, plus a face builder like SP even if it was more simplified. Body types would be nice as well though that's asking a lot with presumably half a dozen or more species to play as), and a loot system instead of lottery boxes I'd play the hell out of it, especially if they incorporated the trinity from the start like they experimented with with the final MP DLC.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#33protools1983Posted 8/4/2014 12:44:57 PM
Mass Effect is trash. MMOs are trash.
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#34codyorrPosted 8/4/2014 12:54:49 PM
protools1983 posted...

I was going to write something, but your response is much better.
#35CatToyPosted 8/4/2014 12:57:10 PM
I would rather they just make a stand alone version of Mass Effect 3's awesome multiplayer.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#36Edavy89Posted 8/4/2014 12:58:45 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Wyand_Voidbring posted...
specter1717 posted...
Do you remember how bad star wars was?

Star Wars Galaxies was one of the best MMOs ever made.

Until some idiot got the bright idea of chasing WoW's success.

The name you are looking for is John Smedley.
#37ShadowHulkPosted 8/4/2014 1:17:27 PM
SpazH3d posted...
It probably will happen. What race will you play as? I'm leaning towards a Quarian, but they can't really customize their gear, can they? New air filter, 5% resistance to physical damage.

Geth, hopefully one of the larger models like the Prime or Juggernaut.
#38BIastPosted 8/4/2014 2:45:22 PM
protools1983 posted...

Pretty much.

It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll say it. The biggest problem with ME3's ending is how it completely undermined Bioware's reputation as a great story teller. They had announced Mass Effect as a trilogy before the first was even released. That means they either had that POS planned for SIX YEARS or they were writing a trilogy with no idea where they were going. Anyone who can write at all knows you need an outline before you start. You can't write a decent essay without knowing what you are arguing for and they knew what would happen to Walter White long before they wrote the second season of Breaking Bad, let alone the final (and the entire plot of Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire has been outlined for years). The individual episodes/games/ books serve to flesh out the story arc that has already been decided. Bioware doesn't even do that. KOTOR was a fluke.
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
#39pwnater777Posted 8/4/2014 2:53:59 PM
So, guys: ice cream or Mass Effect 3? Still need to know which is more worth my $3.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#40myztikricePosted 8/4/2014 3:30:25 PM
Yes, that doesn't mean if Bioware released one I'd want it though.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.