This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I extend my wi-fi router's range or is it set?

#1HarmonicWavePosted 8/4/2014 12:35:24 PM
I have an Xfinity modem/router that does Internet and phone. It's brand new so it's almost certainly wireless N, but it won't reach to the other end of the house where my bedroom is and we don't get very good 4G reception so I usually connect my phone to wi-fi at home.

Is there a setting that adjusts the range of the wireless that might be set to low and can be increased? I built my own PC but I'm not a wireless/router expert.
---
Video gamer since 1987... before that I actually played outside in the dirt, making mountains and rivers with a shovel and a garden hose.
#2I_Heart_EeveePosted 8/4/2014 12:41:23 PM
Some do have an option to increase the range, but on mine I never actually noticed a difference. Best bet is to buy a range extender. It's just a secondary router that repeats the wifi signal. Or go wired by using one of those things you plug into the outlet and it uses the wires that are already there.
#3WyzeGyePosted 8/4/2014 12:43:03 PM
normally they're already set to max range, you can extend it further by taking it off B/G/N mixed and putting it in exclusive N mode.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg - - http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561198039262606.png
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#4ThisGuy101Posted 8/4/2014 12:44:20 PM
http://youtu.be/aUYGb2JtQYA
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#5wildog2006Posted 8/4/2014 12:47:39 PM
Just build a parabolic reflector to direct the signal to the opposite side of the house. I had to do something similar, router was on one side of the house while I was on the opposite side on a different floor. I went from no signal to full signal, and all it requires is some paper, tape and aluminum foil.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#6HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:08:24 PM
I do have another router that I own and I hooked it up in the living room, which reaches to the bedroom fine, but then I have to keep switching from one to the other. If I'm at my PC with the Xfinity modem I use one network, then if I'm in my room I use the other one. Can I set the one in the living room to be an extender? It's not hooked up to a computer, but I could plug it in to a laptop. Not sure what I'm doing.

The parabolic reflector idea sounds easy too.
---
Video gamer since 1987... before that I actually played outside in the dirt, making mountains and rivers with a shovel and a garden hose.
#7DragnfyrPosted 8/4/2014 1:17:43 PM
Turn off DHCP on the second router and set it to access point mode.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#8SnadadosPosted 8/4/2014 1:45:20 PM
Wireless repeater.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#9SolidManifestPosted 8/4/2014 1:48:14 PM
HarmonicWave posted...
I have an Xfinity modem/router that does Internet and phone.

I'm sorry for you.
---
Buddha says He who is in Continuous Hell never dies. Longevity is a big hardship in Continuous Hell
#10HarmonicWave(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 2:06:55 PM
SolidManifest posted...
HarmonicWave posted...
I have an Xfinity modem/router that does Internet and phone.

I'm sorry for you.

Don't be sorry, the Internet is plenty fast (over 25Mbps) and I don't personally use the phone part, it's for a room mate. I have an Android cell phone and I just want better wifi reception in my room. I own a Motorola DOCSYS3 modem and a Netgear N router in the living room. I just need to set it as a repeater or access point.
---