This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I maxed out Wolfenstein New Order without any stuttering on a GTX660

#1MuintirPosted 8/4/2014 1:48:55 PM
I keep hearing how higher end cards have trouble maxing Wolfenstein out when I argue that you dont need to go all out on a gpu if you are gaming on 1080p. So I decided to pick it up since I hear good things about it. Well I maxed it out and the gameplay was smooth as silk the entire way through.

Was the "higher cards are having problems maxing it" an old wives tale?
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/4/2014 1:59:56 PM
What framerate were you at, what levels of AA were you using? Also, Idtech works better with Nvidia cards than AMD because it renders in OpenGL and AMD barely bothers supporting it, so many of the complaints were probably coming from AMD gamers, much like what happened with RAGE. Except that Wolfenstein is good, while they weren't really missing out on anything with rage.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#3HighOnPhazonPosted 8/4/2014 2:07:31 PM
AMD Cards struggle with this game without tweaking the settings pretty hard.

I had to d*ck around with the setting and then enable certain things via CCC to make it run smoothly, and I still wasn't able to pull consistent 60 fps in big, open areas with lots of **** going on.

But really though, I doubt you are maxing it on a 660, what is your CPU? Are you truly checking your FPS? Because I was getting 60 fps a lot too until the action heated up and it went down into the mid 40's.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/4/2014 2:10:11 PM
It's not unlikely that a lot of those complaints are from people with high end cards but not the kind of CPU performance to back it up. I see that a lot, actually. Lots of people claim you need a high end graphics card to max X or Y game, and baw baw about optimization, but then you find out that they're using a weaker CPU.
"b-b-b-but cpu doesn't matter for gaming!" "b-b-b-but fx8150 is just as good as intel i7 for half the price!" ect ect.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#5Muintir(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 2:56:41 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
What framerate were you at, what levels of AA were you using? Also, Idtech works better with Nvidia cards than AMD because it renders in OpenGL and AMD barely bothers supporting it, so many of the complaints were probably coming from AMD gamers, much like what happened with RAGE. Except that Wolfenstein is good, while they weren't really missing out on anything with rage.

Not sure about the framerate since im not a FPS counter. However I do know that everything was on the highest settings and everything ran smooth as silk. Here is a pic of my settings

http://postimg.org/image/fc1pe0dsx/

Oh I also have a AMD FX6300 for a cpu if that matters
#6ThePCElitistPosted 8/4/2014 2:59:04 PM
I never had issues with my 780 ti's so I don't know what all the complaints were about.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#7Logical_OnePosted 8/4/2014 3:18:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can't even pick the highest setting unless you have 3GB of VRAM (at a minimum).
---
---
Meh...
#8PhilOnDezPosted 8/4/2014 3:21:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9HighOnPhazonPosted 8/4/2014 4:02:33 PM
Muintir posted...
YoungAdultLink posted...

Not sure about the framerate since im not a FPS counter. However I do know that everything was on the highest settings and everything ran smooth as silk. Here is a pic of my settings

http://postimg.org/image/fc1pe0dsx/

Oh I also have a AMD FX6300 for a cpu if that matters

You can't make a topic boasting that you maxed the game if you don't post your Framerate.

You probably were getting sub 40's and thought it was "silky smooth"

Troll topic
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#10tigerex777Posted 8/4/2014 4:05:54 PM
Yeah 30fps and below can be "silky smooth" to a lot of people. To me it's console level which is unacceptable if you have a rig like mine.
---
i5 4670k @ 4.2ghz / 8GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 770 SLI / Cooler Master GX 750W / Cooler Master CM 690 ADVANCE II case / Asus 24' 144hz / Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 mobo