This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I maxed out Wolfenstein New Order without any stuttering on a GTX660

#11HighOnPhazonPosted 8/4/2014 4:07:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#12MarikhenPosted 8/5/2014 4:34:57 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's not unlikely that a lot of those complaints are from people with high end cards but not the kind of CPU performance to back it up. I see that a lot, actually. Lots of people claim you need a high end graphics card to max X or Y game, and baw baw about optimization, but then you find out that they're using a weaker CPU.
"b-b-b-but cpu doesn't matter for gaming!" "b-b-b-but fx8150 is just as good as intel i7 for half the price!" ect ect.

Aye, well, the id Tech 5 engine is actually pretty damn phenomenal on CPU utilization, at least on my Phenom II x6 1090t. I'm not saying I get 60 FPS at maximum settings or anything like that, but the in-combat average only drops to around 40 FPS at minimum. Likewise CPU utilization runs at 60% or more almost all of the time.

Given that in the past only Aion has hit that high a CPU utilization percentage on normal gameplay, and that even then that "normal" gameplay was only in a major city hub, I feel justified in saying that this game has phenomenal CPU utilization. The second best game, in terms of overall utilization, was Metro 2033 at 42%-44%.

That said, while I'm sure that an Intel CPU will outperform an AMD CPU with this game the CPU utilization on my system would at least suggest that AMD users will have less to b**** about with id Tech 5 games than they would with UE3 or, worse still, Gamebryo games.

Logical_One posted...
I'm pretty sure that you can't even pick the highest setting unless you have 3GB of VRAM (at a minimum).

Unless the highest settings are higher than the ones posted in that picture you don't need a 3GB card to pick them. My 1GB HD6870 suffices.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#13BuburibonPosted 8/5/2014 4:40:24 PM
So, which of your two cards "maxes" W:NO, TC? The GTX 660 or the 1GB HD6870?
---
Now Playing: Infamous: Second Son | Astebreed (PC) | Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | Mario Kart 8
#14MarikhenPosted 8/5/2014 4:51:18 PM
Buburibon posted...

There is a (Topic Creator) under a poster's name if they were the TC. You might want to check for that so that you don't confuse people.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#15BuburibonPosted 8/5/2014 4:54:15 PM
Marikhen posted...
Buburibon posted...

There is a (Topic Creator) under a poster's name if they were the TC. You might want to check for that so that you don't confuse people.

Thanks very much. You've answered the question I had in mind. :-)
---
Now Playing: Infamous: Second Son | Astebreed (PC) | Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | Mario Kart 8
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/5/2014 7:54:47 PM
Marikhen posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's not unlikely that a lot of those complaints are from people with high end cards but not the kind of CPU performance to back it up. I see that a lot, actually. Lots of people claim you need a high end graphics card to max X or Y game, and baw baw about optimization, but then you find out that they're using a weaker CPU.
"b-b-b-but cpu doesn't matter for gaming!" "b-b-b-but fx8150 is just as good as intel i7 for half the price!" ect ect.

Aye, well, the id Tech 5 engine is actually pretty damn phenomenal on CPU utilization, at least on my Phenom II x6 1090t. I'm not saying I get 60 FPS at maximum settings or anything like that, but the in-combat average only drops to around 40 FPS at minimum. Likewise CPU utilization runs at 60% or more almost all of the time.

Given that in the past only Aion has hit that high a CPU utilization percentage on normal gameplay, and that even then that "normal" gameplay was only in a major city hub, I feel justified in saying that this game has phenomenal CPU utilization. The second best game, in terms of overall utilization, was Metro 2033 at 42%-44%.

That said, while I'm sure that an Intel CPU will outperform an AMD CPU with this game the CPU utilization on my system would at least suggest that AMD users will have less to b**** about with id Tech 5 games than they would with UE3 or, worse still, Gamebryo games.

Logical_One posted...
I'm pretty sure that you can't even pick the highest setting unless you have 3GB of VRAM (at a minimum).

Unless the highest settings are higher than the ones posted in that picture you don't need a 3GB card to pick them. My 1GB HD6870 suffices.

In my experience, Bad Company 2 actually does a really good job of scaling across cores. I hit some 90~% on a Phenom quad, which aught to be around 60% on a hexacore assuming the worst.
IIRC, though, IDTech5 has a lot of background overhead on streaming textures and resource management, so it probably does get pretty CPU demanding.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross