This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help and advice needed

#1turnip55Posted 8/5/2014 7:47:40 AM
Howdy do everyone. I've been a console gamer all my life and currently own a PS4 but of late I've been interested in delving into the PC gaming universe. The only problem is, I don't have a clue about gaming PC's or PC's in general. I haven't the foggiest when it comes to ram or graphics cards etc so I'm here for a little advice.

I'm looking more towards a gaming laptop rather than a desktop as I have neither the room or funds for such a big unit and have budgeted myself around 500.

I'm most interested in games such as Dayz and ARMA etc so would a 500 gaming laptop manage to play those games? If not how much would I have to spend? Also if anyone could point me in the direction of a laptop around that price margain that could manage those games then that would be a great help.

Hope to hear from you soon :)
#2phy2jshPosted 8/5/2014 7:52:57 AM
You're going to need roughly double that budget to get a half decent laptop. Even if you get a desktop, you'll probably want to boost your budget another couple of hundred quid. Everyone will recommend not getting a laptop, and that will be right except if the portability is critical to you. Even so, if you can afford 1k you'd be better off getting a desktop for 700 and a non-gaming laptop for 300. I'm assuming this budget is going to be a stretch for you though.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#3turnip55(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 8:04:29 AM
I have quite abit of money in the bank but it's all accounted for unfortunately as I'm in my mind 20's I have a lot to pay for. I don't know what to do now tbh. Really wanting to jump on the PC gaming boat but seems I can't afford it
#4phy2jshPosted 8/5/2014 8:35:20 AM
You could probably scrape a budget desktop build for 500 quid if you're willing to build it yourself, but you'd be wasting your money on a laptop. Laptops are considerably more expensive, which you seem to not have realised judging from your first post.

Do you have any parts already you could reuse? Keyboard, mouse, monitor, copy of Windows? This might help if you're interested in doing a desktop build.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#5turnip55(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 2:14:49 AM
As I said earlier I don't have anywhere to put a full pc rig and that's why I'm hopefully opting to go down the laptop route. If I was to buy a laptop for games such as Dayz then glue much would I realistically be looking to pay?
#6turnip55(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 2:15:29 AM
How much*

Stupid phone!
#7ZiggityZagPosted 8/6/2014 2:43:52 AM
Well, I paid $900 (~550) for a laptop that can play all games on a reasonable setting (that I've so far encountered) a couple years ago, and I even spent the extra cash to get the 17" so I can have a numpad, so I can't imagine it being too crazy.
---
FC: 2723-9663-3711, IGN Zappy
http://steamcommunity.com/id/zzzappy/
#8ATARIJAWAPosted 8/6/2014 2:58:23 AM
turnip55 posted...
As I said earlier I don't have anywhere to put a full pc rig and that's why I'm hopefully opting to go down the laptop route. If I was to buy a laptop for games such as Dayz then glue much would I realistically be looking to pay?

For something that's going to last more than 2 years and play demanding games (Dayz, Star Citizen etc...) 2-3 years from now, you're looking in the $1200-1400 range. I don't know how much that is in pounds. maybe 750-900 pounds. Laptops are basically double the price of a desktop, are weaker, and have a far shorter lifespan. I'm on my fourth one and replace it every 2 to 2.5 years when the performance just gets terrible because it can't keep up. Luckily I use them for work too, so I write most of it off on my taxes and it doesn't cost me much in the long run.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#9phy2jshPosted 8/6/2014 4:20:07 AM
I don't have time to actually do any proper searching for you atm. But get some recommendations on laptops and then search for them on UK websites. Take direct $ to conversions with a pinch of salt, as parts are relatively more expensive in the uk, unfortunately for us. I'm still guessing 1k is going to be about the level you want to look at for something you'll end up being satisfied with.
#10turnip55(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 11:52:08 AM
Bump