This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, could I have some help trying to get Diablo to work with Windows 8?

#1DarkWolf888Posted 8/5/2014 4:30:21 PM
So, a long time ago, I bought a copy of Diablo, but I never really played it. Recently, I've gotten back into PC gaming, and I've dug out my old copy of Diablo to finally give it a chance, but I figure that it probably has some problems with Windows 8. If anyone could give me some help on getting it, and potentially Diablo II and its expansion, to work, it would be greatly appreciated.
#2ShinkodenPosted 8/5/2014 4:59:37 PM
I just tried my Diablo disk just to see if it would work and I had zero issues so far. Put in the disk, told it to install, and it worked even without screwing with any compatibility settings. I'm actually really amazed.

This is on windows 8.1.
#3DarkWolf888(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 5:05:20 PM
Shinkoden posted...
I just tried my Diablo disk just to see if it would work and I had zero issues so far. Put in the disk, told it to install, and it worked even without screwing with any compatibility settings. I'm actually really amazed.

This is on windows 8.1.

I just tried my disc, and it installed without much issue, and it started up fine, but then it had problems when I clicked to start and crashed. I don't know if I'm running 8.1 though, so I might upgrade to that and try again. I probably need to upgrade to 8.1 anyway.
#4rusty12000Posted 8/5/2014 5:08:23 PM
Step One: Format Computer
Step Two: Upgrade to Windows 7
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#5ShinkodenPosted 8/5/2014 5:34:10 PM
DarkWolf888 posted...
Shinkoden posted...

This is on windows 8.1.

I just tried my disc, and it installed without much issue, and it started up fine, but then it had problems when I clicked to start and crashed. I don't know if I'm running 8.1 though, so I might upgrade to that and try again. I probably need to upgrade to 8.1 anyway.

I played it for about 30 minutes and it worked fine. I've never had an old game work that well without some tweaking so I'm not sure if I just got incredibly lucky or what.

Kind of a slow game compared to some now, but still fun. I'll try it again later and will let you know if any problems come up.
#6DarkWolf888(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 6:07:11 PM
rusty12000 posted...
Step One: Format Computer
Step Two: Upgrade to Windows 7

Yeah, I'd rather not format my computer for something as small as this...

Shinkoden posted...
DarkWolf888 posted...
Shinkoden posted...

This is on windows 8.1.

I played it for about 30 minutes and it worked fine. I've never had an old game work that well without some tweaking so I'm not sure if I just got incredibly lucky or what.

Kind of a slow game compared to some now, but still fun. I'll try it again later and will let you know if any problems come up.

Alright, thanks.
#7DarkWolf888(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:44:45 PM
Well, I tried it yet again and this time it crashed before it even got to the main menu.
#8ShinkodenPosted 8/5/2014 10:06:58 PM
DarkWolf888 posted...
Well, I tried it yet again and this time it crashed before it even got to the main menu.

Same problem for me. So try this.

Go to: http://savagesteel.free.fr/diablo/files/patchs.htm
Update the version to 1.09b, download the no-CD file as well. Set compatibility to Windows 95 by right clicking on the Diabo.exe -->properties -->compatibility. I didn't need to change anything else in the settings here.

When compatibility is set for some reason the CD wont read anymore, this is why the no-CD is needed.

With a little luck it should work at this point.
#9DarkWolf888(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 12:52:45 PM
Shinkoden posted...
DarkWolf888 posted...

Same problem for me. So try this.

Go to: http://savagesteel.free.fr/diablo/files/patchs.htm
Update the version to 1.09b, download the no-CD file as well. Set compatibility to Windows 95 by right clicking on the Diabo.exe -->properties -->compatibility. I didn't need to change anything else in the settings here.

When compatibility is set for some reason the CD wont read anymore, this is why the no-CD is needed.

With a little luck it should work at this point.

Did it work for you? I don't have my laptop with me, so I can't try it out right now, but I will when I get home.
#10SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/6/2014 2:56:21 PM
I played D2 and expac no problem on windows 8.1

I still have my disc version but since I almost lost it a few times I actually logged into my battlenet account and added the cd codes there so I don't have to worry about loss. I downloaded the game and worked just fine, no extra fiddling around or anything. Not sure if the download version is the same as the disc version patched up or if there anything newer about it to make it run better on modern computers. Also did the same with the original starcraft.

No idea about D1 though.