This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does a 1.1MB/s download speed from Steam destroy my 10MB/s Internet?

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does a 1.1MB/s download speed from Steam destroy my 10MB/s Internet?
10 months ago#1
Maybe this is a stupid question. If it is, I'm sorry.

It just seems strange to me that I can pay my ISP for a 15MB/s connection, and have speed tests tell me I've got a 10MB/s connection to the WLAN, yet see Steam at 1.1MB/s absolutely destroy my Internet connectivity to the point where I can't even load up Google.

I get that the other machines on the network are constantly using up some bandwidth--but none of them are active right now. So what's the deal? Do routers limit bandwidth based on the number of machines assigned IPs or something funky like that?
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
10 months ago#2
10mb/s=1.1 ish mB/s

You're demolishing your connection because that's all there is to be had

Somebody will be around shortly to explain the difference between bits and bytes
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg - - http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561198039262606.png
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
(edited by WyzeGye)
10 months ago#3
You sure you don't mean a 10mb/s connection? Because that'd be about right for saturating it if you're downloading at 1.1MB/s
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
10 months ago#4
Do you have a 10MB connection or 10Mb, because those numbers are completely different. 10MB=10 Megabytes, 10Mb=1.25
Megabytes.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
10 months ago#5
According to the ISP, the new package is 15MB/s, old was 10MB/s. Not that I can ever actually see those extra 5 bits when I check, though.

So is each machine on the router only allocated 10% of the bandwidth?

EDIT: even with Steam down to 200kb/s stuff is slow and sluggish to the point where simple websites fail to load. Like I'm back on dial-up. Maybe I just have a terrible ISP.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
(edited by Mwulf)
10 months ago#6
You are maxing out your connection when you download at 1.1mb
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
10 months ago#7
You might want to go ahead and figure out what the actual units of measurement are broham
10 months ago#8
Mwulf posted...
According to the ISP, the new package is 15MB/s, old was 10MB/s. Not that I can ever actually see those extra 5 bits when I check, though.

So is each machine on the router only allocated 10% of the bandwidth?

No, you're confusing bits and bytes. Your ISP tells you what to expect in bits, you're expecting that in bytes.

1 byte is 8 bits
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg - - http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561198039262606.png
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
10 months ago#9
No, megabytes (MB) and megabits (Mb, how carriers/providers advertise their service) are just completely different. A megabyte is 1000-1024 bytes, depending on who you ask. A megabit is 1000 bits, a bit being 1/8 of a byte.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
10 months ago#10
Just show us a speedtest.net result so we can see if you really mean 10MB/s or 10Mb/s.
---
Steam: Sydite
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why does a 1.1MB/s download speed from Steam destroy my 10MB/s Internet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived