This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does a 1.1MB/s download speed from Steam destroy my 10MB/s Internet?

#31tyrjal42Posted 8/5/2014 9:38:35 PM
How I mine for more metabites?
#32Spencer5976Posted 8/5/2014 10:13:59 PM
If you are using Hughesnet change isp.
#33TimePharaohPosted 8/5/2014 10:19:35 PM
thedarklordx3 posted...
gtaking5 posted...
thedarklordx3 posted...
why anime loads slowly while you're downloading stuff.

>Streaming

The f*** is wrong with you?

downloading all 300ish episodes of DBZ would take a massive amount of my limited hard drive space, and I'd only watch each episode occassionally, not frequently enough to warrant using so much GB

lolharddrivespace

I download 1080p movies from iTunes...for movies I own. HDD space means nothing
#34jackrabbit1819Posted 8/5/2014 10:39:37 PM
Wait, MB and mb aren`t the same thing!?!?!!?

I guess I have been mixing them up
---
PSN: jackrabbit1819 Steam: raiden1819
#35mrCubePosted 8/5/2014 11:12:29 PM
1.1MB/s is about normal for a 10Mbps connection. I know what the TC means though, I have a 30Mbps connection and when Steam is downloading it will completely saturate my connection in a way that normal browser downloads and torrents don't. I have to limit my Steam downloads to 2.0Mbps make my internet usable. I've thought about messing with Windows's QoS settings to change this, but on the other hand, f*** it.
---
---
#36TheNonBelieverPosted 8/5/2014 11:15:30 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...

a megabyte is and always has been 1000 bytes, a mebibyte is 1024 bytes. Steam download statistics are displayed in mebibytes, not megabytes.

no one uses the term mebibytes,period
---
watching: Smile Precure
anime collection: http://i6.minus.com/iOrOrvBqamum3.jpg
#37tommyrocketPosted 8/5/2014 11:26:59 PM(edited)
I don't think any of you get what this guy's problem is. TC is having sluggish speeds because of his ROUTER. How do I know? I used to have the same issue before we got a new router for the household, and this one has 1 gigabyte bandwidth per connection. This is extremely important as it allows leeway for each computer.

So TC, you're absolutely correct in the assumption that your router is limiting you. I would suggest going for a new router ASAP, preferably a newer NETGEAR brand, they are great. If you don't think it will help, you'll be very surprised as it actually does help more than getting more bandwidth for your internet connection.

Trust me on this and upgrade. Ignore all the other goobers here who have no knowledge about the importance of having a good router.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1161 - 0247 - 6257
Add me/PM me your code as well to exchange codes.
#38arleasPosted 8/5/2014 11:27:28 PM
TheNonBeliever posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...

a megabyte is and always has been 1000 bytes, a mebibyte is 1024 bytes. Steam download statistics are displayed in mebibytes, not megabytes.

It's an attempt to legitimize the hard drive industry using 1000MB = 1 GB which they've been doing since as far back as I can remember.

The only time I've ever heard that used was in reference to hard drives. It's a stupid and confusing term and they should just give up on it. The other rationalization I've heard is that "mega means 10^6" so 1 megabyte should be 1,000,000 bytes and not 1,048,576 bytes.

It's one of those things that they should have made clear back in the 60's and 70's if they wanted it to stick today.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#39HighOnPhazonPosted 8/5/2014 11:27:42 PM
tommyrocket posted...
I don't think any of you get what this guy's problem is. TC is having sluggish speeds because of his ROUTER. How do I know? I used to have the same issue before we got a new router for the household, and this one has 1 gigabyte bandwidth per connection. This is extremely important as it allows leeway for each computer.

So TC, you're absolutely correct in the assumption that your router is limiting you. I would suggest going for a new router ASAP, preferably a newer NETGEAR brand, they are great. If you don't think it will help, you'll be very surprised as it actually does help more than getting more bandwidth for your internet connection.

Trust me on this and upgrade. Ignore all the other goobers here who have no knowledge about the importance of having a good router.

---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#40justchill433Posted 8/6/2014 12:30:09 AM
TheNonBeliever posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...

I have seen Gibibytes used.

arleas posted...
The other rationalization I've heard is that "mega means 10^6" so 1 megabyte should be 1,000,000 bytes and not 1,048,576 bytes.

That's exactly why. People are just stupid and don't know their units. Megabytes as a unit should not exist, but that's a different argument.

And for ****'s sake people, its 8 bits in a byte so the ratio is 1/8 not 1/10.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s LoL: Ikikaea