This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how common is online activation for physical games?

#1el_DubblePosted 8/6/2014 3:18:19 AM
i feel like buying a game but dont have the net for a few weeks, probably like dragon age origins goty edition or maybe ARMA 3. maybe even that xcom expansion depending on price.
#2el_Dubble(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 3:19:28 AM
actually its gonna have to be a goty or complete edition so i get the patches on-disk
#3krayziejoePosted 8/6/2014 6:04:47 AM
Online activation is fairly common amongst physical-copy games, but not always there. From memory I didn't have to activate my copy of DA:O when I bought it a few years ago.

Most games will state when an online activation is required on the packaging. Usually on the back, down the bottom, in small print, hanging out with the system requirements
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 8/6/2014 6:07:18 AM
krayziejoe posted...
Online activation is fairly common amongst physical-copy games, but not always there. From memory I didn't have to activate my copy of DA:O when I bought it a few years ago.

Most games will state when an online activation is required on the packaging. Usually on the back, down the bottom, in small print, hanging out with the system requirements

This

New versions of DA:O may require Origin and will thus will require online activation.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/6/2014 6:13:14 AM
It is increasingly common. More in some genres than in others. Though you can always find out whether this is the case from the box/online description. They will always tell you.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | Kingston V300 120 GB | Corsair VX550 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 300r | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Zowie EC1 Evo White
#6SetzeraPosted 8/6/2014 6:18:04 AM
It's hard to say, I'm not sure if Steam allows you to use cd-key's in offline mode or not.

You'd have to check the back of the box, should say near the bottom if activation is required.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#7El MagnificoPosted 8/6/2014 6:49:25 AM
You sort of need to activate Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition. The base game doesn't require online activation, but the DLC content requires you to sign into your BioWare/Origin account in the game to activate them. You can play the base game without signing in and activating the DLC.