This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do internet providers advertise in bits and not bytes?

#111SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 9:19:14 AM(edited)
OreoBoy206 posted...
Yeah, was about to say if you have gears it's not a CVT.. CVTs should actually save gas as they have no gears and can always find the sweet spot for best power to fuel efficiency ratio. It's the reason almost all hybrids uses CVTs or something based off a CVT.

It should but the mitsus get the ratios very wrong during acceleration. It seems to drop to a high gear during acceleration which is incorrect. The primary should go to high gear but the secondary should be based on speed. If it's working correctly, full acceleration should immediately have the car reach max rpm and stay there while speed increases.
On mitsus the rpms are building with speed, I assume to emulate regular automatic transmissions, but that costs performance and gas milage.

In the last cvt lancer I tested, the rpm actually dropped while accelerating, that's very wrong.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#112Killah PriestPosted 8/8/2014 9:26:54 AM
The new one is pretty slow, the 02 destroys it at everything except AWC.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#113rtkamb1770Posted 8/8/2014 9:29:19 AM
After taking four semesters of Cisco networking, I'm confident in saying that marketing has very little (if any) effect on the naming scheme of data transfer. As "confusing" as this is, it's actually not misleading or misinformation at all, it's 100% what you are getting.
#114OreoBoy206Posted 8/8/2014 9:30:26 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...
Yeah, was about to say if you have gears it's not a CVT.. CVTs should actually save gas as they have no gears and can always find the sweet spot for best power to fuel efficiency ratio. It's the reason almost all hybrids uses CVTs or something based off a CVT.

It should but the mitsus get the ratios very wrong during acceleration. It seems to drop to a high gear during acceleration which is incorrect. The primary should go to high gear but the secondary should be based on speed. If it's working correctly, full acceleration should immediately have the car reach max rpm and stay there while speed increases.
On mitsus the rpms are building with speed, I assume to emulate regular automatic transmissions, but that costs performance and gas milage.

In the last cvt lancer I tested, the rpm actually dropped while accelerating, that's very wrong.

^^Wow that's crap. For automatic transmissions I personally prefer DCTs and traditional automatics over CVTs.. The constant engine whine of the engine being in the high RPM band for so long is just a irritating sound IMO.
#115SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 9:39:31 AM
OreoBoy206 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...

^^Wow that's crap. For automatic transmissions I personally prefer DCTs and traditional automatics over CVTs.. The constant engine whine of the engine being in the high RPM band for so long is just a irritating sound IMO.

Well if it's working correctly the rpm should be exactly as fast as you have the accelerator depressed.
If you accelerate hard then let off the rpm should drop and the cvt should change to a high gear for cruising.
I drove a ford 500 that did this correctly on the cvt and it worked very well. It accelerated fast.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#116OreoBoy206Posted 8/8/2014 9:55:58 AM(edited)
Yeah, I guess I'm too use to cars down shifting with traditional gears. Something just feels and sounds odd about the RPGs continually going up as you accelerate without the sensation of gear shifting. Nissan and Honda made artificial gear shifting in their new CVTs because consumers were being turned off by what I described, so looks like I wasn't the only one that felt this way.
#117SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 10:06:53 AM(edited)
OreoBoy206 posted...
Yeah, I guess I'm to use to cars down shifting with traditional gears. Something just feels and sounds odd about the RPGs continually going up as you accelerate without the sensation of gear shifting. Nissan and Honda made artificial gear shifting in their new CVTs because consumers were being turned off by what I described, so looks like I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

That's the thing, the RPM's shouldn't build slowly as it accelerates. They should go right to red line and stay there as long as your foot is to the floor. When you take your foot off the floor, they should drop to the correct RPM to maintain speed (or decelerate as the wheels are now turning the engine). Most 4cyl seem to hover at 2300 for 110kph for normal auto and CVT.
That artificial gear shifting hurts performance and fuel economy, they should make it optional.

If you want to see the system done correctly, you need only look at snowmobiles where CVT has been the normal for a very long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzFmBF_nf2o
This is a very old video I took of my father racing. You can hear the engine reach max RPMs immediately and stay that way until the end of the track. This way, acceleration is constant, speed is changing. That's how CVT is supposed to work. The idea being that you have maximum horsepower immediately and your engine RPM stays where it has the most power when you need it. And drops into a sort of overdrive when you don't need it (Snowmobiles don't do that as there is no computer control)
---
#118ShubPosted 8/8/2014 9:59:02 AM
I get the argument about using bigger numbers to impress people, but now it's just conventional. Had they always used MB/s instead of Mb/s, people would expect numbers in MB/s and be impressed by an upgrade from, say, 5 MB/s to 10 MB/s instead of 40 Mb/s to 80 Mb/s. It's all about expectations. It's possible they began using Mb/s because it was easier to express the bandwidth you were getting in integers, before bandwidths above 1 MB/s became the norm for broadband. I can imagine 3 Mb/s sells better than 0.375 MB/s or 384 KB/s.
I'm undecided on whether it's misleading, though. On the one hand, yes, it's taking advantage of customer ignorance, but on the other hand, I generally think customers who don't do basic research into what they're buying deserve to be taken advantage of.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#119OreoBoy206Posted 8/8/2014 10:08:34 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...
Yeah, I guess I'm to use to cars down shifting with traditional gears. Something just feels and sounds odd about the RPGs continually going up as you accelerate without the sensation of gear shifting. Nissan and Honda made artificial gear shifting in their new CVTs because consumers were being turned off by what I described, so looks like I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

That's the thing, the RPM's shouldn't build slowly as it accelerates. They should go right to red line and stay there as long as your foot is to the floor. When you take your foot off the floor, they should drop to the correct RPM to maintain speed (or decelerate as the wheels are now turning the engine). Most 4cyl seem to hover at 2300 for 110kph for normal auto and CVT.
That artificial gear shifting hurts performance and fuel economy, they should make it optional.

If you want to see the system done correctly, you need only look at snowmobiles where CVT has been the normal for a very long time.

Yeah, that would probably freak the average consumer out though.. People grew up with traditional automatics in cars so the needle going straight to the red line and staying there until they let off the gas would probably confuse people into thinking something is wrong with their car. The sound of a car constantly staying at red line for long perioids doesn't sound too appealing either.

Also, you're right about the artificial shifting hurting fuel economy, Honda admitted this but said they did it for consumer comfort.
#120atopp399Posted 8/8/2014 10:09:38 AM
It's all about marketing.