This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do internet providers advertise in bits and not bytes?

#21SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2014 12:31:41 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ok and Dodge keeps claiming their cars get upwards of 40mpg, which we all know is a lie because thats the mpg the engine gets without a car attached to it.
They aren't wrong, it's just misleading and they get sales because of consumer ignorance.
Is that wrong?

That doesn't compare to this situation.

Why not? They used numbers based on a system no one knows but are still technically correct if you understand where they came from.
And worse yet, those numbers represent the best it will ever do, not what you will most likely get.
Sounds exactly like ISPs to me.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22ivanwind15Posted 8/7/2014 12:32:10 PM
The purpose is to mislead the consumer with a bigger number. It's just like hard drive manufacturers, they advertise 'giga' with respect to base 10 but computers use base 2, so your computer will calculate the total storage as less.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#23Worknofun370Posted 8/7/2014 12:32:54 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Why not? They used numbers based on a system no one knows but are still technically correct if you understand where they came from.

Yeah... not the same situation.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#24SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2014 12:33:08 PM
ivanwind15 posted...
The purpose is to mislead the consumer with a bigger number. It's just like hard drive manufacturers, they advertise 'giga' with respect to base 10 but computers use base 2, so your computer will calculate the total storage as less.

That's a really irritating one.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#25Orestes417Posted 8/7/2014 12:33:21 PM
Seriously though, the distinction is because the number of bits in a byte is not standard. Never has been. If you want to be unambiguous you'd have to use the term octal byte or octet.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#26SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2014 12:34:37 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Seriously though, the distinction is because the number of bits in a byte is not standard. Never has been. If you want to be unambiguous you'd have to use the term octal byte or octet.

There is a byte that has more or less than 8 bits?
---
#27GoldninjaPosted 8/7/2014 12:36:49 PM
So, 56k was kilobits. Which translated to 7 kilobytes, and due to either congestion or what service they got, I was downloading at a swift speed of about 2kb/s.

Was just reminded of the time when I was annoyed that I wasn't getting the reference speed of 56KB/s. The thing is, I wouldn't doubt that most people still don't understand. I mean, they get that they aren't getting 50MB with a 50MB service, but they probably don't get why. Maybe this should be advertised more because I doubt the majority are looking it up.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#28SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2014 12:38:46 PM
Come to think of it, I am pretty sure a megabyte is a virus.
http://reboot.wikia.com/wiki/Megabyte
---
#29monkmithPosted 8/7/2014 12:39:09 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yeah... not the same situation.

now you're lying to yourself, its the same thing. ask any random person on the street the difference between MB and Mb and they will tell you its the spelling!

internet companies, just like any other company that can get away with it, uses misleading advertising to sell their product. they aren't lying, but they are banking on the idea that 50+% of their consumers won't even know the difference.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#30Digital StormPosted 8/7/2014 12:40:31 PM
You people and your conspiracy theories...
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.