This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do internet providers advertise in bits and not bytes?

#81SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 8:13:34 AM(edited)
Goldninja posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
Goldninja posted...
They aren't actively misleading people, but they are taking advantage of the misinformed. They are a business. That's how marketing works.

Curious, how are they taking advantage of the misinformed? Since every single ISP advertises the same was (As well as every single piece of networking equipment) where is the advantage coming into play?

Yes, they all advertise the same way. They are all taking advantage of the fact that "bigger number equals better!". We just recently had a topic with a guy thinking he was going to get 10MB with his 10Mb connection. That's why he got the 10Mb connection in the first place, I would assume. I get what you're saying, but the advantage lies in that people STILL don't know the difference. They don't have to actively do anything, but people still don't get it. It's an advantage. Bigger is better. They should be forced to advertise it, but they don't have to and they won't, because it would be less beneficial to do so.

http://www.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/#plans

People can easily think, "Oh, we could get the 5MB download speed." Sure, they aren't technically misleading, but you can't tell me that it's not advantageous for them to advertise in this manner.

That link shows this
.5 to 1 Mbps Download
384 Kbps Upload

They used the lower case b.... I always forget which is which which is why I always spell it out as .5mbytes so I am very clear what I am talking about.
That's one terrible download but damn, I don't even get that upload speed with cable....
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#82OreoBoy206Posted 8/8/2014 8:14:41 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
That actually is pretty much exactly what misleading is.

Calling a spade a spade is not misleading man. Calling a megabit connecting megabit (which, as I mentioned utilizing bits for network speeds is standard in the networking world) is not misleading at all. Only to the ignorant is it so.

If they did nothing but use mb/s (which, I haven't really seen) while never saying megabits anywhere... that's slightly misleading.

Ok and Dodge keeps claiming their cars get upwards of 40mpg, which we all know is a lie because thats the mpg the engine gets without a car attached to it.

Pretty sure the EPA requires a car to be attached to the engine before a MPG rating is established. If that wasn't the case then every vehicle that shares the same engine, whether it be a bigger heavier vehicle or smaller lighter vehicle would have the same exact MPG rating.. Just saying...

They don't, honest.
The MPG for American vehicles is determined while the engine is on the stand without a car attached. The figure is what the motor could do based on an estimation.
That's why you see BS advertising like trucks getting 40mpg
But my favorite... The dodge Dart gets 59mpg in Canada, 39 in America according to the TV advertisements.... LOL
I don't own one but it's a dodge, so I am betting it gets the dodge 25-35mpg that every dodge car seems to get.
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg//bymodel/2014_Dodge_Dart.shtml
^^^yep

Yeah that's odd, it might be a possibility that Canada rates the fuel economy the way you describe but in USA the vehicle is attached as explained in the link below..

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/28004-epa-fuel-economy-explained1.htm
Link^^^
#83Worknofun370Posted 8/8/2014 8:14:46 AM
Goldninja posted...
People can easily think, "Oh, we could get the 5MB download speed." Sure, they aren't technically misleading, but you can't tell me that it's not advantageous for them to advertise in this manner.

I can... because i'm still not really seeing the advantage here.

If anything, what you just described is a disadvantage, people paying less for less internet because they believe it will fit their needs when it ends up not.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#84GoldninjaPosted 8/8/2014 8:16:14 AM
Yeah, they used the lower case b. I can probably count the people I know who get that on one hand.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#85SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 8:19:46 AM
OreoBoy206 posted...

Yeah that's odd, it might be a possibility that Canada rates the fuel economy the way you describe but in USA the vehicle is attached as explained in the link below..

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/28004-epa-fuel-economy-explained1.htm
Link^^^

Oh look, its MPG is down to 41.
http://www.dodge.com/en/dart/
And it's still lying as it gets 35 at best like every other dodge for the last 10 years.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#86GoldninjaPosted 8/8/2014 8:20:57 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Goldninja posted...

I can... because i'm still not really seeing the advantage here.

If anything, what you just described is a disadvantage, people paying less for less internet because they believe it will fit their needs when it ends up not.

Or if they knew the actual download speed, they may not buy into it at all because the higher speeds would be too expensive for them. I've known plenty who were disappointed with the speeds, yet kept the service because why not.
---
#87El MagnificoPosted 8/8/2014 8:23:07 AM
Goldninja posted...
Yeah, they used the lower case b. I can probably count the people I know who get that on one hand.

OK, so if the ISP said "5 megabits per second" instead of "5Mbps" there aren't any problems, right?

#88Worknofun370Posted 8/8/2014 8:23:25 AM
Goldninja posted...
Or if they knew the actual download speed, they may not buy into it at all because the higher speeds would be too expensive for them. I've known plenty who were disappointed with the speeds, yet kept the service because why not.

Is that the only scenario where you can show an advantage? Situations where the lower speeds won't work for someone and the higher speeds are too expensive so they don't get anything?

That's it?
---
hasa diga eebowai
#89SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 8:25:27 AM
El Magnifico posted...
Goldninja posted...

OK, so if the ISP said "5 megabits per second" instead of "5Mbps" there aren't any problems, right?

That makes it a bit better but most still have no idea what a megabit is and will think it's another name for megabyte.
They will still be confused when they download a file and see it's a lot slower than what they thought they would get.
---
#90GoldninjaPosted 8/8/2014 8:28:23 AM
El Magnifico posted...
Goldninja posted...

No, I'm saying they should explain it.

Worknofun370 posted...
Goldninja posted...

Is that the only scenario where you can show an advantage? Situations where the lower speeds won't work for someone and the higher speeds are too expensive so they don't get anything?

That's it?

That's it? That's quite a chunk of change. The number of misinformed people+the MANY people who buy things without doing any research. Businesses thrive on that stuff. it is indeed an advantage. I'm not saying they're scum bags for letting it go. I am saying that they should advertise actual download speed in MB with their plans. 50Mb connection should have "6.2MB download speed" somewhere in there. Hell, I'm not even saying it will make a huge, vast difference, but people should be informed and let's face it, they aren't going to actively look it up.
---