This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have any next gen games been confirmed to use more than 4 cores?

#1darkus_fPosted 8/7/2014 3:48:43 PM
Or multithreading for that matter.
Are i5s still the best bang for your buck when it comes to just gaming? With a decent GPU of course.
---
2DS: 0447-5073-6549 | Rig: i7-3770, 12GB, GTX750, 700W
NP: Pokemon Y, Pokemon MD: GOI, TES: Skyrim, Dissidia Duodecim.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/7/2014 4:30:52 PM
I think planetside 2 uses 6 now, they improved its threading in tandem with the PS4 version, though it may have just been up to 4. An i5 will still do better than a 6300/8320/50 in it though.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3dragon504Posted 8/7/2014 4:49:20 PM
We don't know anything about next gen yet.
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/dragon504
http://followmy.tv/u/dragon504/time_wasted http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/dragon_50469/myguns2-1.jpg
#4godplaysSNESPosted 8/7/2014 5:01:06 PM
Crysis 3 uses more than four cores/threads. Battlefield 4 reportedly do too, but it's hard to properly benchmark that game.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5thefabregas22Posted 8/7/2014 5:14:16 PM
"next gen" is a funny buzzword
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: AdmiralClassy
#6SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2014 5:21:56 PM
Doesn't using hyper-threading essentially slow down the real core so it can process two threads at the same time?
If true, then 4 maxed cores on an i5 should roughly equal 8 maxed cores on an i7 when a game is being considered.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7KURRUPTORPosted 8/7/2014 5:31:03 PM
Some games already do use more than 4, as time goes on it will probably become more and more normal to utilize more cores. The tech is there and pretty affordable so it's silly for game designers to still be coding to only use 2-4 cores, especially since consoles now even enjoy more cores for developers to utilize.

Obviously no one can say for sure what the future will hold but generally tech progresses forward so it wouldn't make much sense for programs to not follow suit and use available hardware to run at it's peak performance.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#8rainedownPosted 8/7/2014 5:47:31 PM(edited)
From what I've heard on the consoles the games don't actually have access to all of those cores, some are reserved for the ancillary things (OS, video recording, etc.). I'll have to see if I can find the information, though it's less relevant and just kind of interesting to see since it does usually have an impact on gaming development as a whole.

:::edit:: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/11/naughty-dog-explains-ps4s-cpu-memory-and-more-in-detail-and-how-they-can-make-them-run-really-fast/ There it is (well, not exactly the same article, but it has the information in it, and it's interesting seeing the PS4s' top tier developers explain using the hardware).

People have already said it--some games do already use more than 4, but none require it, and I doubt they will for a long, long, long, long time. I don't think anyone has even ever showed evidence of a similarly priced 8 core beating a 4 core (as in Intel vs AMD, an i7 will obviously beat an i5 but the cost difference is pretty big), some games just have a smaller gap between them.

The real kicker is the installation base for 4 cores is so huge, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to put out a game that uses more as a requirement (it's along the same reason developers didn't put out many high end games for kinect or move last gen, the installation base was like 5%). The return on profit would be a fraction of the possible return if it worked on 4 cores.

I do think we'll see more used in the future, as IIRC 6 cores are open on the consoles, so developers will get used to being able to utilize more, but they won't require it--and since those Console cores clock in below 2ghz I doubt it will even be worth putting money into more cores unless you're constantly doing other things while gaming (streaming, etc.).
#9ChromaticAngelPosted 8/7/2014 5:43:33 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Doesn't using hyper-threading essentially slow down the real core so it can process two threads at the same time?
If true, then 4 maxed cores on an i5 should roughly equal 8 maxed cores on an i7 when a game is being considered.

Cores and hyperthreading are not really that simple. Multithreading was around before multicore CPUs were. Actually, that's how multi-core CPUs were invented, engineers looked for a way to make hardware optimized for multithreading. it's not like if you have a 4-core 8-thread processor that you can only run 8 threads at once. Your computer already runs more than 8 threads at once when idle.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divinity: Original Sin http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/W5VSkrTC
#10SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2014 5:45:14 PM
rainedown posted...
From what I've heard on the consoles the games don't actually have access to all of those cores, some are reserved for the ancillary things (OS, video recording, etc.). I'll have to see if I can find the information, though it's less relevant and just kind of interesting to see since it does usually have an impact on gaming development as a whole.

People have already said it--some games do already use more than 4, but none require it, and I doubt they will for a long, long, long, long time. I don't think anyone has even ever showed evidence of a similarly priced 8 core beating a 4 core (as in Intel vs AMD, an i7 will obviously beat an i5 but the cost difference is pretty big), some games just have a smaller gap between them.

The real kicker is the installation base for 4 cores is so huge, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to put out a game that uses more as a requirement (it's along the same reason developers didn't put out many high end games for kinect or move last gen, the installation base was like 5%). The return on profit would be a fraction of the possible return if it worked on 4 cores.

I do think we'll see more used in the future, as IIRC 6 cores are open on the consoles, so developers will get used to being able to utilize more, but they won't require it--and since those Console cores clock in below 2ghz I doubt it will even be worth putting money into more cores unless you're constantly doing other things while gaming (streaming, etc.).

If the engines are coded correctly, the game should run on any number of cores, 1 to infinity.
I thought DX11 and 12 added the ability to have multiple threads access to the same framebuffer and issue draw commands together? So as long as the video card can respond to the draw commands as fast as the CPU can provide them it should keep scaling.
In this situation hyper threading would give the exact same performance.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence