This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What kind of programs/software do you guys use to protect your pcs from viruses/

#21ThatOneGuysHairPosted 8/7/2014 9:03:16 PM
How much do you know about your OS?
How secure do you want your machine to be?
How hands-off do you want to make the whole experience?
What do you want to use the machine for?

All of these are important questions when you consider PC security... and really, on gfaqs, all I ever see are product recommendations or vapid trolling

trusting some magic bullet piece of software is about the dumbest thing you can do. it's best to try to learn a bit about how some of this stuff works.

if all you do is play(not host) games on a modern and supported windows machine, behind a router, you probably don't need any additional security software. Still, download any security patches... aka the common sense enterprise edition free updates.

If you browse only mainstream, vetted websites like gamefaqs, there's a small and unlikely chance you could catch something...say, if the host or one of their advertising partners gets compromised.

If you use a sandboxed browser like chrome, it's extremely unlikely you will catch anything via the web: any malicious code that the browser tries to load is trapped in the "sandbox" the process was created in. Sandboxes can be broken out of, but it makes the process far more difficult and therefore increases security.

If you like to explore the internet a bit more than that, sandboxing your browser is recommended, even better would be using something like noscript to keep bad scripts from loading altogether... but noscript requires a bit of knowledge and can cause compatibility issues and headaches.

Do you like to download weird executables? do you really want to see if snowflake.exe will give you the snowflake screensaver you've always desired? Executables can generally be sandboxed, but sandboxing can disrupt the desired function of the .exe. Antivirus software helps here.

AV protection is obviously popular, and extremely hands-off, but it's not perfect, and some scanners are much much better than others.

An antivirus could scan the file for bad code and let you know if it's safe, but this is not always a sure thing. AV heuristics are only so good at determining what you, the user, does or does not want being run, and AV definitions are only useful against predefined malware.

speaking of users, it's best not to run every single piece of software as the administrator account, for obvious reasons. there's a reason UAC exists. Please, use it.

there's plenty of more to talk about here, and various other types of protection (outbound/inbound firewalls, filesystem protection, whatever else I missed someone else will add, etc.

anyways... I use comodo free with that sweet, sweet, sandbox/HIPS, panda for on-demand scans, jotti/virus total for on demand scans of small files, firefox with various extensions, chrome for ordering pizza, windows update, and my router.
#22indicaPosted 8/7/2014 10:42:17 PM
Avast and Malware bytes
---
There is no good. There is no evil. There just is.
#23phantasyPosted 8/7/2014 10:52:49 PM
No matter how careful you are with your internet habits, there is still a chance you will goof up. Having some form of anti virus is just like insurance, you might not always use it but it sure is handy when you really need it.

I used Kaspersky Internet Suite for the last couple years couple with malwarebytes. And of course noscript.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#24BoswerLKPosted 8/7/2014 10:57:57 PM
common sense and mvp's hosts file

in the rare occasion that anything slips by those, malwarebytes, then google the specific infection if it fails to remove it completely
---
My reviews: http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
Valar Morghulis
#25OMGWYATTPosted 8/7/2014 11:11:06 PM
Rud3Bwoy posted...
jedinat posted...
Rud3Bwoy posted...
none perks of being a new mac owner

"I never get into any car accidents because I don't drive a car. I hop everywhere on a pogo stick. It hurts a lot when I unbalance and fall onto concrete, but I never get into any car accidents."

facts are facts bruh don't be mad should of gotten a mac

Macs aren't any less susceptible to getting viruses, they're just such a tiny share of the market "hackers" don't waste their time.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#26ChromaticAngelPosted 8/7/2014 11:12:39 PM
OMGWYATT posted...
Rud3Bwoy posted...
jedinat posted...
Rud3Bwoy posted...
none perks of being a new mac owner

"I never get into any car accidents because I don't drive a car. I hop everywhere on a pogo stick. It hurts a lot when I unbalance and fall onto concrete, but I never get into any car accidents."

facts are facts bruh don't be mad should of gotten a mac

Macs aren't any less susceptible to getting viruses, they're just such a tiny share of the market "hackers" don't waste their time.

no, they're also less susceptible to getting viruses because they are Unix based which is inherently more secure than Windows.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avernum http://www.gog.com/game/avernum_the_complete_saga
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/Mk2YM7aD
#27driver892Posted 8/7/2014 11:58:27 PM
I pretty much use Norton. Got it last year and worked pretty decent on my PC for the most part (btw, it's an HP with Windows 8.1, about a year old with a couple dents on it, a small crack on the side of the screen and I spilled pepsi in the keyboard and it got stuck for a few weeks). Any viruses that get detected by it, I can get rid of it in a couple minutes at most, and I have yet to have suffered a crash or blue screen.
---
So many games to play, so little time to play them, so many things to do.
#28hk7111Posted 8/8/2014 12:10:16 AM
MSE
MalwareBytes
Common sense?
---
Desktop: i7-4790k, 16gb Ddr3, R9 280x, Some random HDD's, 840 Evo 250Gb
Laptop: Razerblade 14: i7-4702HQ, 8GB Ddr3, Gtx 765M, 256GB Msata SSD
#29ArkonBladePosted 8/8/2014 12:12:23 AM
Norton
---
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#30Flen15Posted 8/8/2014 12:12:58 AM
I have Windows 8.1, I keep it up to date, and I use Google Chrome.

That's all the security I have.

In the 20+ years I've been using computers I've never caught a single virus (that I'm aware of).

In the past 3 years of me trying out not having any virus protection software, everything still seems shipshape.