This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2?
2 years ago#1
So after work tomorrow, I'm picking up one of these lovely devices and would like some last minute input or thoughts. Due to some sales and people I know, I'd be able to get a SP3 i5 128gb for 800 w/ keyboard vs a Yoga 2 i5 128gb for 750. I'd use it for my last semester of classes and then bring it to work after should I accept the offer I have.

I'd expect it mainly for notes, browsing, using a lot of excel, and light games (Deus Ex, Minecraft, Emulators) and the lightness of the Pro 3 would be nice since I like to read (don't have a nook or anything) and the digitizer in the Surface would be great since I love to draw and I tutor Korean and Japanese language classes, so plugging into a display could be great for showing characters and grammar.

The yoga 2 also has some nice features, namely that it has a built in keyboard, more than 1 USB port, and I could still use it for my language tutoring, but it wouldn't be as fine as a digitizer pen.

I'm really torn and I could always make use of Bestbuy's 15 day return policy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-2-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-black/6071000.p?id=1219184622013&skuId=6071000&st=hp-and-lenovo-laptops-124160&cp=1&lp=4

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-pro-3-128gb-intel-i5-silver/6243045.p?id=1219198824874&skuId=6243045&st=surface%20pro%203&cp=1&lp=2

If anyone has first hand experience with one or the other, I would love to hear! Thanks everyone! (sorry for wall-o-text!)
Atari2600 NES SNES N64 GC Wii GB GBC DS PSP PS3 PC
2 years ago#2
I have the 11 inch version of the Lenovo. It's weaker than the one you are looking at but I have found it to be quite a good little machine. I haven't made much use of the touchscreen. And to game effectively I had to disable palm check.

Pretty sure it has HDMI out so you could plug it into a display if you needed. Unless the more powerful version for some reason left that out.

I would say test drive each for the two weeks and go from there. You might find something about one that no one mentions.
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
2 years ago#3
I was between the exact same choices 3 weeks ago and I test drove the SP3 first... I enjoyed it enough that I didn't even try the Yoga and have been a happy MS fanboy since, got a MS sculpt mouse and everything.
~~ The self-appointed Immortal Iron Fist of the C&GN Board. ~~
2 years ago#4
BuMp
2 years ago#5
We have Yoga 2 Pro's at work and I can say that they're pretty fantastic machines. We have the i7 and 256GB SSD model. I've heard good things about the Surface 3 though.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.
2 years ago#6
If you can get over the lack of a digitizer, I would go with the Yoga.
[M18X_R2 i7-3630QM SLI GTX680M 16GB RAM 240GB mSATA SSD 2x750GB 1x320GB HDD]
[GS70 i7-4700HQ GTX765M 16GB RAM 2x128GB SSD Super RAID 1x1TB HDD]
2 years ago#7
unclee posted...
We have Yoga 2 Pro's at work and I can say that they're pretty fantastic machines. We have the i7 and 256GB SSD model. I've heard good things about the Surface 3 though.

Do you know if there are any heating issues with the Yoga? That's something with the Pro 3 that makes me a tiny bit cautious.
2 years ago#8
Fischpi posted...
unclee posted...

Do you know if there are any heating issues with the Yoga? That's something with the Pro 3 that makes me a tiny bit cautious.

None of us have had any heating issues as far as I can tell. I use it from the sofa when I'm at home and it's never had any heating problems.
2 years ago#9
My wife has a first-generation Yoga 13 which is pretty much the same design, no heat issues, I can't imagine the Yoga 2 Pro and its Haswell CPU having any heat issues either.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
2 years ago#10
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm going to play around with both 1 more time but I am slightly leaning towards the Pro 3.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived