This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the verdict on Windows 8 now?

#1Dragon NexusPosted 8/8/2014 7:12:59 AM
I've heard about 8.1 solving all the problems, or at least most of them.
How does it compare to 7? I bought a copy of 8 a while back when the cheap upgrade offer was on, or whatever it was, but stuck with 7 because I liked 7 and kinda couldn't be bothered to reinstall everything.

Now I'm toying with the idea of giving my computer a good clean out, both hardware and software, when I get my new GPU. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 8, or should I stick with Windows 7?
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#2SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 7:14:53 AM
Windows 9 is coming out soon, just wait.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3BeerOnTapPosted 8/8/2014 7:15:20 AM
I love windows 8.1.
I don't see any issues with it.
The biggest whining is about the start menu.. And I really don't use it much anyways. I never really used it a ton as it is. It's easy to navigate to anything I need without it.
Win+Q and start typing. Boom it's there.
#4Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 7:15:35 AM
Assume I don't want to buy a new OS and would rather make use of the choices available to me already.
---
#5SinisterSlayPosted 8/8/2014 7:17:32 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Assume I don't want to buy a new OS and would rather make use of the choices available to me already.

Oh, then go ahead and install 8. Other than some strange things like requiring a Microsoft live account to install the system and not letting you join a domain immediately like previous windows installs could, it's fine.
I know in 8.0 you can bypass that by choosing to make a new account, then choosing to use a local account instead. I don't remember if 8.1 had that ability but I think it did.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/8/2014 7:20:32 AM(edited)
Yeah if you already got it then use it if you redoing your computer. Its less bloaty, faster, feels snappier, works great with a SSD, better then 7.

The main difference is on the classic desktop in windows 8, instead of left clicking the start button, your right click it and gives you all the same options as before except the programs list. If you left click the icon you'll go to the programs list which is different in 8 but all good still.

I never use the program list anyway, I always had desktop shortcuts for what I wanted o use.

But if you can handle this one small start bar change, windows 8 will be great for you. This is literally what everyone is crying is about. People cant learn to right click instead of left click. 8 is far superior and Im sure 9 will continue off of 8 so might as well get started early.

Also another great hint, if you ever cant find something you want to do in 8 that you knew how to do in past windows, just hit the windows key + s, type what you want in the box and it'll take you there. Windows has never been easier.
#7Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 7:25:32 AM
I might just give it a try then.

I'm sort of in that camp that likes the complexity somewhat because it feels like I have a handle on what's going on. There's something to be said for making things *too* simple, I guess.

I suppose it all comes down to how much control you're allowed to have. I mean Windows 7 blocks off a few things out the gate until you tell it to tone down the nanny controls.
---
#8Snagg57Posted 8/8/2014 7:31:30 AM
If you really care about the Start button, you can get a program such as Classic Shell, that brings back functionality of legacy windows.

Other than that, Windows 8/8.1 is no where as bad as people make it out to be.
#9Fayt349Posted 8/8/2014 7:34:16 AM
I love windows 8.1
---
Intel i5 3570k||Vengence 8 GIG DDR3 RAM||EVGA GTX 760 ||4 TB WD Black+1TB Seagate + 128 gig Samsung Pro SSD || Corsair 650W |Asus MOBO||CM scout advance 2 case
#10Killah PriestPosted 8/8/2014 7:36:31 AM
I hate having to go back to windows 7 after experiencing how great windows 8 works.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.