This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never played any Half-life, should I?

#1alsroboshackPosted 8/8/2014 3:27:15 PM(edited)
Should I buy it? - Results (63 votes)
Yes, it is the best game ever
6.35% (4 votes)
Yes, it is a great game
39.68% (25 votes)
Yes, its fun
20.63% (13 votes)
It is okay, but nothing special
9.52% (6 votes)
No, it was good for the time, but not anymore
9.52% (6 votes)
No, it was never good
7.94% (5 votes)
Half-life 2 was good, but not the rest
3.17% (2 votes)
Half-life 2 part 1 was good, but not the rest
0% (0 votes)
Half-life 2 part 2 was good, but not the rest
0% (0 votes)
Half-life 1 was good, but not the rest
3.17% (2 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm interested in play the entire series, I have no idea about it. I'm thinking of buying it, but I don't know.
---
some people treat life as a game,
some people treat games as life.
#2jake-sfPosted 8/8/2014 3:28:34 PM
HL1 is better than HL2.

Its a great game, regardless of time.

I think the series as a whole is worth experiencing without a doubt.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3NingishzidaPosted 8/8/2014 3:30:06 PM
Half-life is degenerative in that it brought disguised cutscenes into the FPS genre. And by "disguised cutscenes", I mean those extremely boring segments where you had semi-control of the protagonist (mouse-look, move, jump), but had to wait until the segment finished before you could progress.
#4Orestes417Posted 8/8/2014 3:31:18 PM
No such thing as a game that was good at a particular time but not anymore. It's either a good game or it isn't. As for Half Life, it's a decent solo shooter for it's style. It did some things no one had really seen before but we've all seen them a million times since.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#5jake-sfPosted 8/8/2014 3:32:59 PM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
Half-life is degenerative in that it brought disguised cutscenes into the FPS genre. And by "disguised cutscenes", I mean those extremely boring segments where you had semi-control of the protagonist (mouse-look, move, jump), but had to wait until the segment finished before you could progress.

You mean cutscenes where you feel like a part of the world instead of, uh, not?

Thats the whole reason Half-Life is so ridiculously immersive, thats one of its defining trait and why I like it so much. If thats a bother to anyone... yeah, sure, stay away.

Half-Life is a linear FPS done right. I still prefer more opened levels but at least HL made it an experience.
---
#6foodeater4Posted 8/8/2014 3:39:33 PM
Both games are good. HL1 is a little more old school FPS. HL2 is kinda right on the cusp of old school and modern. It has great levels and combat but it also sometimes feels like levels are to long and just repeating themselves, kinda like the Halo Library level. Some people might this, others not. HL2 also stands up pretty well graphically nowadays if that matters to you at all.

Both games are cool. You don't entirely need to play HL1 either to play 2.
#7mullen1200Posted 8/8/2014 3:40:18 PM
Just play the Blackface Mesa mod. It's a remake of the original, except you play as a black Gordon Freeman who throws KFC and pieces of watermelon at your enemies instead of shooting them.
#8jake-sfPosted 8/8/2014 3:43:14 PM(edited)
foodeater4 posted...
You don't entirely need to play HL1 either to play 2.

Might as well butcher the entire first time experience. This is non-sense, no offense.
---
#9NingishzidaPosted 8/8/2014 3:50:34 PM
jake-sf posted...
Ningishzida posted...

You mean cutscenes where you feel like a part of the world instead of, uh, not?

Thats the whole reason Half-Life is so ridiculously immersive, thats one of its defining trait and why I like it so much. If thats a bother to anyone... yeah, sure, stay away.

Half-Life is a linear FPS done right. I still prefer more opened levels but at least HL made it an experience.

Cutscenes are degenerative gaming as they make the player a passive spectator. Disguising cutscenes by giving the player trivial, inconsequential control isn't much better, and any gamer worth their weight in salt would be insulted by this transparent disguise.
#10jake-sfPosted 8/8/2014 3:52:45 PM
Oh noes, I hate cutscenes.

Get out, Ningishzida. You're wasting my breath.
---