This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never played any Half-life, should I?

#11PsythikPosted 8/8/2014 2:54:16 PM
If you decide to play the original Half-Life, you should play Black Mesa instead. It's a remake of Half-Life using the Source engine. Graphics are almost as good as HL2, especially when compared to the blocky mess HL1 was.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#12Blobs_Posted 8/8/2014 2:55:54 PM
I like Ningishzida.
---
is haha
#13DiviDudePosted 8/8/2014 3:05:45 PM
Blobs_ posted...
I like Ningishzida.

No one likes Milhouse!
#14YombieePosted 8/8/2014 3:08:07 PM
If you take those "cut-scenes" as an improvement to scripted sequences instead of as an improvement over what narrative sequences already were, then you can really discern the impact Half-Life had overall in gaming.

Yes, HL did improve how stories are presented, however what it did better was implement scripted sequences in a way which progressed not only the story, but the gameplay as well. And during most of these instances, you were in full control.

Granted, there were moments when the game STILL implemented cut-scenes that panned out to other perspectives and removed player interaction.
#15JohnnyKoochPosted 8/8/2014 3:10:02 PM
Does Black Mesa do a good job of retaining the original feel while being on source / updated textures?

From my experience, it did the intro the exact same, but I forgot about it and ended up deleting it.

Assuming the Black Mesa remake is consistent, I would suggest playing Black Mesa instead of the orginal to avoid dampening the experience by looking at dated textures and playing a dated engine.

I'm not ragging on older games though. I can deal with old games fine, I grew up with most of them.
Some people can make room in their judgement and ignore most faults, horrible textures, and sounds, by chalking it up to "old age".

Some people don't feel like experiencing something that is more of a hassle to play and stare at / hear, instead of games that stepped over those boundaries years later.
#16BuyersRemorse55Posted 8/8/2014 3:16:18 PM
Black Mesa isn't even done yet so I wouldn't hardly call that an option
#17jake-sfPosted 8/8/2014 3:16:49 PM
JohnnyKooch posted...
Does Black Mesa do a good job of retaining the original feel while being on source / updated textures?

From my experience, it did the intro the exact same, but I forgot about it and ended up deleting it.

Assuming the Black Mesa remake is consistent, I would suggest playing Black Mesa instead of the orginal to avoid dampening the experience by looking at dated textures and playing a dated engine.

I'm not ragging on older games though. I can deal with old games fine, I grew up with most of them.
Some people can make room in their judgement and ignore most faults, horrible textures, and sounds, by chalking it up to "old age".

Some people don't feel like experiencing something that is more of a hassle to play and stare at / hear, instead of games that stepped over those boundaries years later.

You see them as boundaries, but they provide a specific feel and experience through them, if you don't just take graphics as face value. This is more true in games like Silent Hill 1 on Playstation, which seems only improved tenfolds by its limited gritty graphics and weird creepy music capabilities that are wonderfully used.

In the end, a game is an art, and was designed the way it was, and thats that. I don't dismiss pretty graphics, but games like HL1 works just fine how they are.

I don't even encourage using the terrible high-definition pack for it. Just having those unfitting models and sounds kills the entire experience to me.

As for Black Mesa, it was in my opinion, sub-par. If one can truly appreciate HL1, they can see it for themselves. Its inferior in many ways, but is worth a play later, just to see what things look like in better graphics.

Magic is in the details, not pumping shiny pretentious graphics. Despite the fact that Black Mesa took a lot of time to "look" so presentable, it didn't feel right in many ways.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/