This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The story of the first Mass Effect seems to drag on... should I just start ME2?

#11DaedalusExPosted 8/8/2014 4:14:20 PM
foodeater4 posted...
Most of the side missions are totally boring crap.

Do people realize that these are entirely optional? Seriously, just don't do them.
#12BuyersRemorse55Posted 8/8/2014 4:15:11 PM
Yes TC. The first game is a big low point in the series gameplay wise. Its a good story ruined by crappier gameplay and crappy tech issues like long load times and such.

There are videos you can watch to catch you up but I still don't think its the same as playing yourself.

I'm not sure how far in the game you are, but when you get near the end doing Vmire, next mission, next mission is pretty damn epic.

It really isn't a long game if you stick the main quests.

And yes part 2 and 3 are much better. I think part 2 has the best story overall, but part 3 has the best gameplay.
#13MrMonkhouse(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 4:23:02 PM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
Yes TC. The first game is a big low point in the series gameplay wise. Its a good story ruined by crappier gameplay and crappy tech issues like long load times and such.

There are videos you can watch to catch you up but I still don't think its the same as playing yourself.

I'm not sure how far in the game you are, but when you get near the end doing Vmire, next mission, next mission is pretty damn epic.

It really isn't a long game if you stick the main quests.

And yes part 2 and 3 are much better. I think part 2 has the best story overall, but part 3 has the best gameplay.

It's not at all. I regret watching the whole Last of Us cutscene vid on Youtube and it was ok, but when I played the actual game it was even better. Wished I waited to play the game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/j74SykU.gif
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#14AxtlarPosted 8/8/2014 4:38:26 PM
The first game is the better of the lot, so you'll likely end up disliking the rest. Unless you prefer the focus on linear shooting.
---
PM for 3DS code/Steam ID. http://tinyurl.com/kcqajde
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg
#15calcyclePosted 8/8/2014 4:49:12 PM
The worst part for me about the first game was the mako's environments to travel in. Many times in side quests all you would have for the mako to travel in is mountains and more mountains. Driving up them was harder than it should since your vehicle lost momentum easily going uphill and the maps were way too big, making traveling anywhere really boring. I find the hammerhead solved these problems in the second game, I am saddened they weren't in the third game.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
#16SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/8/2014 6:39:46 PM(edited)
How far are you?

Also, FYI, there is a DLC for the second one that gives you a primer for the first and lets you make some important decisions.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#17SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/8/2014 6:39:09 PM(edited)
Axtlar posted...
The first game is the better of the lot, so you'll likely end up disliking the rest. Unless you prefer the focus on linear shooting.

And don't listen to this guy. Everything they changed from the first one was weak in the first one.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#18Damaged7Posted 8/8/2014 6:42:05 PM
Having not played 1, and staring with 2.....I found it fine. The intro to 2 will blow you out of the water and make you forget all about the first game.
---
Bold Text
#19KarnRX78Posted 8/8/2014 6:58:09 PM
I got into the series after picking up ME2 for dirt cheap in 2010 and was fine. I love the first game though, but it is a bit of a chore sometimes. When I play ME1, I just do the main story missions, the moon mission, Garrus, Wrex, and Tali's side quest. But even then it is a bit of a chore. You can pick up that comic thing that allows you to make the major choices from ME1 if you want.

I enjoy ME2 the most out of the series, and playing on insanity is still fun after all this time. The Renegade options in 2 are the best out of the series.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
#20TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 8/8/2014 6:59:27 PM
Veotax posted...
Psythik posted...
If you don't like the first game, what makes you think you'll like its sequel?

Because the gameplay is pretty different?

I love the Mass Effect series, but man the first game plays like garbage.

Same, the first just felt very clunky. Second and third, while lighter on the RPG elements, play much smoother.
---
Steam: Sydite