This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I use a new different motherboard on an eMachines case?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I use a new different motherboard on an eMachines case?

User Info: ShadowofSolidus

ShadowofSolidus
2 years ago#1
Hi, I would like to replace my eMachines stock motherboard with a new different one. I'm just wondering if I can do that. Would I bump into any troubles?
Sending out an SOS. Sending out an SOS. I'm sending out an SOS. I'm sending out an SOS.

User Info: Pepys Monster

Pepys Monster
2 years ago#2
If it's a mATX case, get a mATX motherboard. If it's an ATX case, get an ATX motherboard.
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum

ShadowofSolidus
2 years ago#3
Pepys Monster posted...
If it's a mATX case, get a mATX motherboard. If it's an ATX case, get an ATX motherboard.

How do I tell? I checked the specs on websites but it doesn't say anything about a motherboard form factor.
Sending out an SOS. Sending out an SOS. I'm sending out an SOS. I'm sending out an SOS.

User Info: Pepys Monster

Pepys Monster
2 years ago#4
idk, post a link or give more info. You could get a mATX motherboard and it will work either way. It's just not ideal to have a mATX mobo in a mid tower case because then you get less options for no reason.
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum

User Info: Bowsaa

Bowsaa
2 years ago#5
Unless the emachine case isn't ATX. It's certainly possible.
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
2 years ago#6
if you are going to go to that much trouble, might as well change the ugly case

but yes you can
^ this

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
2 years ago#7
Is the board square or rectangle? I bet it's square and that is mATX.

User Info: mrtywer

mrtywer
2 years ago#8
If it's a stock eMachines computer, you will run into a much larger problem than just motherboard size.

eMachines, and all other pre-built computer manufacturers, use OEM Windows software, which is linked directly to your motherboard. If you change that, your Windows will no longer boot. You will need to buy a fresh copy of Windows too, if you want to change out the motherboard.
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x

ShadowofSolidus
2 years ago#9
Damn, I think I'm going to get a separate new pc case. Thanks, guys!

User Info: link510

link510
2 years ago#10
Why are you changing the motherboard? CPU upgrade I assume? The only things worth reusing on an emachine are the ram (if it's DDR3) and the HDD.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can I use a new different motherboard on an eMachines case?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived