This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shield tablet

#11ChromaticAngelPosted 8/9/2014 4:46:46 AM
I am waiting for the LTE version to be released.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avernum: Escape from the Pit http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/DUiaHrLW
#12VoelgerPosted 8/9/2014 5:19:07 AM
I have one and love it. I am currently trying to gat a mouse and keyboard hooked up to it so I can play civ and divinity in console mode. I must be honest though, I enjoy tinkering and discovering how to get stuff to work. If you like stuff that is plug and play this might be a little annoying. It does play, but if you want to push the thing and do cool stuff it takes tinkering.
Examples: streaming dolphin emulator, rooting the device, getting a mouse and keyboard hooked up. Optimizing your network speed. And stuff like that.
---
Posted with GameRaven 2.2.1
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/9/2014 6:12:56 AM
I'm waiting for Shield 2/Denver K1.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#14xxtearg0dxxPosted 8/9/2014 6:12:56 AM
I am enjoying my shield tablet, haven't done any 'real gaming' on it with a controller (I didn't get the controller yet). I got it for now to just play 'tablet games'.

Besides that, it's been a smooth fast experience for me. The tablet is much better than any other android tablet I've used before.
#15wizardmonPosted 8/9/2014 6:33:35 AM(edited)
seems there is a manufacturing error in the plastic casing around the sides of the tablet, lots of people have been noticing small micro-cracks forming at the edges near the seams of the bezel. Mine has two really small ones on it.

I haven't removed my tablet from my wall-mount since I opened it so I assume mine shipped with them. I'm not too concerned with this since I just don't plan on ever really moving my tablet so it's not going to be structurally in danger from this as far as I can tell.

Nevertheless I'm going to be watching their forums to see if there is going to be a recall or anything.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#16dark trunksPosted 8/9/2014 8:26:30 AM(edited)
No idea. I won't have it until August 29th.

I'm curious. How do tablets work? This will be my first tablet, and I'm wondering do you need a sim card for it? If I am using my home Wifi, do I essentially have access to all the devices functions, and if I want to use it outside of my home, I either need to connect to outside Wifi, or get a sim?

But I figured I've been looking at tablets for a while now, but I couldn't be arsed pay the prices. However, I can get this from Scan, with the case, and not pay for nine months, no additional cost. As good a deal as any, I guess.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/9/2014 8:51:49 PM
dark trunks posted...

I'm curious. How do tablets work? This will be my first tablet, and I'm wondering do you need a sim card for it? If I am using my home Wifi, do I essentially have access to all the devices functions, and if I want to use it outside of my home, I either need to connect to outside Wifi, or get a sim?

But I figured I've been looking at tablets for a while now, but I couldn't be arsed pay the prices. However, I can get this from Scan, with the case, and not pay for nine months, no additional cost. As good a deal as any, I guess.

If you want internet access without connecting to a wifi network, you'll need a data plan/sim card, just like anything else. Wifi isn't infinite range.
You shouldn't need a sim card or data plan to turn the device on/use it just on Wifi, though.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#18ChromaticAngelPosted 8/9/2014 9:16:17 PM(edited)
dark trunks posted...

GSM 4G LTE requires a SIM card

4G WiMax (which it won't have, and almost no infrastructure for it exists anyway since it was rapidly obsoleted by LTE) does not require a SIM card

CDMA anything, which, I have no idea if it will support or not, does not require a SIM card -- most carriers use GSM.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divinity 2 http://www.gog.com/game/divinity_2_developers_cut
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/9ULqSth8
#19EdgeofDarknessPosted 8/9/2014 10:31:12 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
dark trunks posted...

GSM 4G LTE requires a SIM card

4G WiMax (which it won't have, and almost no infrastructure for it exists anyway since it was rapidly obsoleted by LTE) does not require a SIM card

CDMA anything, which, I have no idea if it will support or not, does not require a SIM card -- most carriers use GSM.

Eh its about 50/50 among the big carriers

Verizon/sprint/us cellular cdma

At&t, t-mobile, strait talk(Well mostly) GSM

Though devices like this usually see less CDMA support
#20Dieinafire1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2014 5:07:39 PM
I got mine on Saturday and so far its more then I hoped. Thing is a beast