This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why so many people try to go for "stable" overclocks

#1CatholicChurchPosted 8/8/2014 4:57:37 PM
I've had CPUs that when overclocked to 4.4 Ghz for instance, they'll fail a stress test after 30 or so minutes, but when playing a PCSX2 game that utilizes your CPU to 100% as well, won't crash at all no matter how long you play. I think people get too caught up in having a CPU that performs well on stress tests with calculations that no CPU would ever perform under any circumstance (except within the stress test of course).

To me, if I can get a lower voltage that allows me to do the tasks that I enjoy on a day to day basis rather than a higher voltage that allows me to "pass" some arbitrary stress test, I'd choose the lower voltage any day.

Thoughts?
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
#2shadosnekoPosted 8/8/2014 4:59:40 PM
I'm not sure what you're saying. You're not sure why people don't just keep their CPU's at a voltage/heat level that can damage it?
---
http://backloggery.com/shados http://last.fm/user/ShadosNeko
VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!
#3HydroCannabinolPosted 8/8/2014 5:01:19 PM
Thoughts are if its not stable you're susceptible to BSODs and other crashes.

If it doesn't happen while you're playing a game then I guess its fine but a lot of people like the peace of mind that the PC won't crash due to instability.

It also means that technically your overclock could either be higher with proper settings or remain the same but tweaked for more stability.

Personal preference really...
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#4fataliPosted 8/8/2014 5:05:13 PM
Because not everybody uses their PC just for games, some people make important work that would create a big problem if the information was corrupted.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#5Edavy89Posted 8/8/2014 5:08:54 PM
fatali posted...
Because not everybody uses their PC just for games, some people make important work that would create a big problem if the information was corrupted.

If you are doing a lot of important work on your PC, why risk overclocking it to begin with?
#6PsythikPosted 8/8/2014 5:09:30 PM
fatali posted...
This. An unstable OC could f*** up your Excel spreadsheets when it miscalculates the math. Or cause glitches & artifacts when rendering video. Or even cause strange bugs in games that you might assume were just bad programming. It might not seem like it to you, but doing the calculations properly is important.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#7PsythikPosted 8/8/2014 5:12:54 PM
Edavy89 posted...
fatali posted...

If you are doing a lot of important work on your PC, why risk overclocking it to begin with?
So that you can get your important work done faster. OCing is relatively safe even for critical work so long as you do it properly.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#8CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 5:15:16 PM
to me I wouldn't even overclock a computer if I had to use it for something as important as work. A lot of people would share my sentiments. There's just too much risk involved, even after "passing" a stress test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking#Stability_and_functional_correctness

"A large scale field 2011 study of hardware faults causing a system crash for consumer PCs and laptops showed a 4x to 20x increase (depending on CPU manufacturer) in system crashes due to CPU failure for over-clocked computers over an 8 month period."

I'd bet a lot of those hardware faults were from "stable" CPUs that passed stress tests.
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
#9fataliPosted 8/8/2014 5:16:54 PM
You ask why people want a stable OC, that is one of the reasons. I guess you thought there wasn't a reason and now are upset that I give you one?
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#10CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2014 5:18:45 PM
fatali posted...
You ask why people want a stable OC, that is one of the reasons. I guess you thought there wasn't a reason and now are upset that I give you one?

My point is that there's no such thing as a stable OC. You could pass one stress test and then fail another. And over time an overclock becomes unstable, so there's no way to tell when it crosses from "stable" into "unstable" or if it even ever was stable in the first place.

Too many people get hung up on stress tests.
---