This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why so many people try to go for "stable" overclocks

#11Edavy89Posted 8/8/2014 4:19:08 PM
Psythik posted...
Edavy89 posted...
fatali posted...
Because not everybody uses their PC just for games, some people make important work that would create a big problem if the information was corrupted.

If you are doing a lot of important work on your PC, why risk overclocking it to begin with?
So that you can get your important work done faster. OCing is relatively safe even for critical work so long as you do it properly.

Agree to disagree on that one.
#12HydroCannabinolPosted 8/9/2014 8:23:34 AM
CatholicChurch posted...
fatali posted...
You ask why people want a stable OC, that is one of the reasons. I guess you thought there wasn't a reason and now are upset that I give you one?

My point is that there's no such thing as a stable OC. You could pass one stress test and then fail another. And over time an overclock becomes unstable, so there's no way to tell when it crosses from "stable" into "unstable" or if it even ever was stable in the first place.

Too many people get hung up on stress tests.

There is no such thing as a stable overclock?

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Just stop.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#13WerdnAndreWPosted 8/9/2014 8:26:29 AM
What if it passes all stress tests?
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#14r7gerrabbitPosted 8/9/2014 8:33:29 AM
Unstable overclocks can physically damage the hardware.
---
Sig.
#15Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 8:35:21 AM
actually if you have a stable oc it should be stable across anything you do.
#16ChaapPosted 8/9/2014 8:35:36 AM
CatholicChurch posted...
fatali posted...
You ask why people want a stable OC, that is one of the reasons. I guess you thought there wasn't a reason and now are upset that I give you one?

My point is that there's no such thing as a stable OC. You could pass one stress test and then fail another. And over time an overclock becomes unstable, so there's no way to tell when it crosses from "stable" into "unstable" or if it even ever was stable in the first place.

Too many people get hung up on stress tests.

keep moving those goalposts
---
"Some people are just dumb"
#17ForeverZero2Posted 8/9/2014 8:43:22 AM
my pc once fell off the table after a unstable overclock
---
The topic you selected is no longer available for viewing.
#18lost_withinPosted 8/9/2014 9:45:30 AM
Because an unstable overclock wouldn't be very fun?
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#19CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:02:49 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
There is no such thing as a stable overclock?

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Just stop.

I just posted a link that said overclocked PCs have 4x-20x increase of hardware faults than non-overclocked ones..So it's clear that while some overclocks are more stable than others, there's no such thing as a completely stable overclock.

r7gerrabbit posted...
Unstable overclocks can physically damage the hardware.

Only if you increase the vcore past the limit. But you can't damage the hardware through undervolting. Please know what you're talking about before posting misinformation.

Chaap posted...
keep moving those goalposts

What goalposts? If you people are obsessed with proving others wrong or something you're going to have to pick a different enemy for that because I don't get involved with that crap. I really don't appreciate this attitude.
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
http://i.imgur.com/QZMyhoo.jpg
#20MyDogSkipPosted 8/9/2014 12:07:21 PM
CatholicChurch posted...
I just posted a link that said overclocked PCs have 4x-20x increase of hardware faults than non-overclocked ones..So it's clear that while some overclocks are more stable than others, there's no such thing as a completely stable overclock.

And what's to say that the vast majority of those weren't unstable? If you stress test properly and long enough you can ensure that 99.99% of the time, your CPU is going to be fine under load. For some people, the improvement in performance can easily be worth the slight chance of failure, even for a workstation. There's a balance involved.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93