This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why so many people try to go for "stable" overclocks

#21Garage_ManPosted 8/9/2014 1:10:18 PM
Psythik posted...
Edavy89 posted...
fatali posted...
Because not everybody uses their PC just for games, some people make important work that would create a big problem if the information was corrupted.

If you are doing a lot of important work on your PC, why risk overclocking it to begin with?
So that you can get your important work done faster. OCing is relatively safe even for critical work so long as you do it properly.

God no, the work I do represents many thousands of dollars. Sometimes tens of thousands....I am not risking anything to go from 3.4 to 4.0ghz. If I ever need a ton ton more power then it'd time to go serverside.

I haven't overclocked in years. I need 100% stability. Again you couldn't pay me to overclock.
#22CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 1:14:19 PM
Garage_Man posted...
God no, the work I do represents many thousands of dollars. Sometimes tens of thousands....I am not risking anything to go from 3.4 to 4.0ghz. If I ever need a ton ton more power then it'd time to go serverside.

I haven't overclocked in years. I need 100% stability. Again you couldn't pay me to overclock.

b--buuut overclock can be stable BROOO
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
http://i.imgur.com/QZMyhoo.jpg
#23rainedownPosted 8/9/2014 1:24:55 PM
By this logic there's no reason to use a condom, they're only 99.99% effective, just go bareback, its the same thing.
#24LvthnPosted 8/9/2014 1:27:44 PM
So basically, you're ok with damaging your hardware if it's just to game on, but if it's work, it's a bad idea to overclock at all.

Naw, you don't live under a bridge, I'm sure of it.
#25CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 1:29:15 PM
rainedown posted...
By this logic there's no reason to use a condom, they're only 99.99% effective, just go bareback, its the same thing.

Not really a valid analogy. The consequences of not wearing a condom far outweigh the consequences of undervolting (which are easily solved by just going into your BIOS and incrementing your vcore).
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
#26CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 1:29:41 PM
Lvthn posted...
So basically, you're ok with damaging your hardware if it's just to game on, but if it's work, it's a bad idea to overclock at all.

Naw, you don't live under a bridge, I'm sure of it.

Please explain how exactly I'm damaging my hardware. I'd absolutely love to hear this
---
#27Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 1:35:06 PM
yes you may shorten the life span of a cpu but very little,i've had my last cpu over clocked to max running for 4 years up until 2 weeks ago and sold it as i wanted a imac no issues what's so ever same with all my other rigs have all been over clocked and STABLE ACROSS anything i ever did,IF IT WAS UNSTABLE IN ANY APP THAT'S NOT A STABLE OC
#28Garage_ManPosted 8/9/2014 1:35:38 PM
CatholicChurch posted...
Garage_Man posted...

b--buuut overclock can be stable BROOO

I don't care :p

Imagine if I lost a scene in Maya that took me hundreds of hours to make....I'd lose it. I've lost projects before due to cheap hardware and messing with things. I'll NEVER do it again.
#29Fade2black001Posted 8/9/2014 1:36:13 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Thoughts are if its not stable you're susceptible to BSODs and other crashes.

If it doesn't happen while you're playing a game then I guess its fine but a lot of people like the peace of mind that the PC won't crash due to instability.

It also means that technically your overclock could either be higher with proper settings or remain the same but tweaked for more stability.

Personal preference really...

I don't think so. All the time I had my CPU (2 years) I never had it "stable" in stress tests and never had any problems with it. Its fine doing everything else. running intensive things (not stress tests) are fine and it is stable in everything I do.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#30Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 1:41:49 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...
Thoughts are if its not stable you're susceptible to BSODs and other crashes.

If it doesn't happen while you're playing a game then I guess its fine but a lot of people like the peace of mind that the PC won't crash due to instability.

It also means that technically your overclock could either be higher with proper settings or remain the same but tweaked for more stability.

Personal preference really...

I don't think so. All the time I had my CPU (2 years) I never had it "stable" in stress tests and never had any problems with it. Its fine doing everything else. running intensive things (not stress tests) are fine and it is stable in everything I do.

if it's not stable in a stress test it would crash eventually on something like folding at home not one oc i had ever stood stable outside of a unstable stress test.

but hey i guess people like to fool themselves in thinking there oc is stable when in reality it's not