This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand why so many people try to go for "stable" overclocks

#31CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:51:52 PM
Rud3Bwoy posted...
but hey i guess people like to fool themselves in thinking there oc is stable when in reality it's not

irony
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
http://i.imgur.com/QZMyhoo.jpg
#32Fade2black001Posted 8/9/2014 12:56:58 PM
Rud3Bwoy posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...
Thoughts are if its not stable you're susceptible to BSODs and other crashes.

If it doesn't happen while you're playing a game then I guess its fine but a lot of people like the peace of mind that the PC won't crash due to instability.

It also means that technically your overclock could either be higher with proper settings or remain the same but tweaked for more stability.

Personal preference really...

I don't think so. All the time I had my CPU (2 years) I never had it "stable" in stress tests and never had any problems with it. Its fine doing everything else. running intensive things (not stress tests) are fine and it is stable in everything I do.

if it's not stable in a stress test it would crash eventually on something like folding at home not one oc i had ever stood stable outside of a unstable stress test.

but hey i guess people like to fool themselves in thinking there oc is stable when in reality it's not

Are you on crack? Wait... I already know the answer is yes. So don't bother answering that... Why would any trust what you have to say anyways? Your credibility on here is none at best.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#33rainedownPosted 8/9/2014 1:54:53 PM
CatholicChurch posted...
rainedown posted...
By this logic there's no reason to use a condom, they're only 99.99% effective, just go bareback, its the same thing.

Not really a valid analogy. The consequences of not wearing a condom far outweigh the consequences of undervolting (which are easily solved by just going into your BIOS and incrementing your vcore).

I think it's a perfectly valid analogy, and the answer to your question if you're not just trolling. People use stable over clocks because the chances of something going very wrong and making you regret doing it in the first place are much smaller with a stable OC.

Like a condom.
#34CatholicChurch(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 1:58:40 PM
rainedown posted...
I think it's a perfectly valid analogy, and the answer to your question if you're not just trolling. People use stable over clocks because the chances of something going very wrong and making you regret doing it in the first place are much smaller with a stable OC.

Like a condom.

you'd have more of a chance of messing up your system with increased Vcore resulting in higher temperatures and a lower CPU life. But what do I know if I'm trolling
---
PM me to hear more about Jesus Christ and the wonderful things that can happen to you as a result..TODAY!
http://i.imgur.com/QZMyhoo.jpg
#35R i c kPosted 8/9/2014 2:52:42 PM
You don't understand why people don't want to risk their computer randomly crashing? I should think it's pretty self-explanatory.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded and others. Tune in!
#36Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 3:02:42 PM(edited)
CatholicChurch posted...
rainedown posted...

Like a condom.

you'd have more of a chance of messing up your system with increased Vcore resulting in higher temperatures and a lower CPU life. But what do I know if I'm trolling

yeah which is why people buy after market coolers when they oc or wc there system but hey what do we know huh,anyway again don't take any type of advice from someone who says they're stable in games but not stress test lmao.
#37Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 3:02:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAKdpmzcm4&list=PL8CD45DF75C685E65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWfZK3I7zU&list=PL8CD45DF75C685E65

both of my previous systems and many more which was oc including the gpu to the max it could handle never had a issue,3-5 years later sold the system with still no issues at all to new buyers
#38kobalobasileusPosted 8/9/2014 3:03:02 PM
I don't understand why people overclock at all. If your processor isn't good enough to do what you're trying to do, replace it with one that is.
#39Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 3:05:01 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
I don't understand why people overclock at all. If your processor isn't good enough to do what you're trying to do, replace it with one that is.

because more bang for your buck,it's easy to oc esp with asus mobos that has the automatic oc feature for you.
#40Rud3BwoyPosted 8/9/2014 3:06:36 PM
CatholicChurch posted...
I've had CPUs that when overclocked to 4.4 Ghz for instance, they'll fail a stress test after 30 or so minutes, but when playing a PCSX2 game that utilizes your CPU to 100% as well, won't crash at all no matter how long you play. I think people get too caught up in having a CPU that performs well on stress tests with calculations that no CPU would ever perform under any circumstance (except within the stress test of course).

To me, if I can get a lower voltage that allows me to do the tasks that I enjoy on a day to day basis rather than a higher voltage that allows me to "pass" some arbitrary stress test, I'd choose the lower voltage any day.

Thoughts?

of course lower voltage is always better but if you're temps are in check and you're not pumping crazy unsafe voltage then it's fine but if you lowered your voltages and you're crashing on stress test yes you'r oc and system is unstable and will eventually crash and i smell bs coming from you telling others it don't crash outside of stress testing