This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick Modem/Router question

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Quick Modem/Router question
1 year ago#1
So I'm getting prepped to move into my new apartment and am getting, as the Comcast Rep recommended, a "DOCSIS SURFboard 3.0 by Motorola" and this is what I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407569589&sr=1-1&keywords=docsis+surfboard

A bit over what I was thinking I'd pay, but not too bad. My current access point is pretty old so I was going to buy a new one as well, when I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-SBG6580-Packaging-570763-006-00/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

It is a bit more expensive, especially when I seem to be able to find decent routers for $30 or less fairly easily, but I was hoping to get input from someone who knows a bit more about Routers/Modems before I buy. I do have the money to get the second option, and if it as an access point is amazing I won't feel bad about putting that much down, but I rather not spend extra money when I can avoid it.
---
My old sig was removed as people were offended by my board level
Asking for relationship advice from strangers is typically dumb but feel free to ask me anyway
1 year ago#2
Get this combo:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7117534-netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-dual-band-wireless-gigabit-router-r7000-motorola-sb6141-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-for-219-99-back-again

Trust me, it's worth it.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
1 year ago#3
CloudZ1116 posted...
Get this combo:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7117534-netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-dual-band-wireless-gigabit-router-r7000-motorola-sb6141-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-for-219-99-back-again

Trust me, it's worth it.

Hmm, that's even more expensive. While I do want to make sure that I have good wifi, right now I'm looking to have both my computer and console wired to the modem/router. Additionally since my apartment is fairly small, I don't think range will be an issue. What advantages will there be for putting down an extra $120 vs the first option and a $30 router?

Hmm, now that I think about it I'll want to have a couple devices wired so I'll need a small router anyway. If the second option in my first post is still really good I'll consider it, though I think I'll look to combo the $70 one with a ~$30 router(suggestion welcome)
---
Asking for relationship advice from strangers is typically dumb but feel free to ask me anyway
1 year ago#4
bump
---
1 year ago#5
CloudZ1116 posted...
Get this combo:

Trust me, it's worth it.

This, Very much this. I had gotten both separately with the Nighthawk being the newer of the two and its great.
---
Desktop: i7-4790k, 16gb Ddr3, R9 280x, Some random HDD's, 840 Evo 250Gb
Laptop: Razerblade 14: i7-4702HQ, 8GB Ddr3, Gtx 765M, 256GB Msata SSD
1 year ago#6
hk7111 posted...
CloudZ1116 posted...
Get this combo:

Trust me, it's worth it.

This, Very much this. I had gotten both separately with the Nighthawk being the newer of the two and its great.

Could someone then explain why it is so great? My apartment is 1-bedroom so it doesn't need great range and the two devices that would benefit from good speed will be wired.
---
1 year ago#7
Bump
---
1 year ago#8
I still see no practical reason to throw down an extra hundred for the above bundle, so I'm just going to get the $70 modem and whatever router I can find.
---
1 year ago#9
The SBG6580 is a not a bad modem/router combo, I used it for a few years. The router part of the modem doesn't do to well with torrents, after a while the config page would get laggy and so would my games. After a reset, everything was well until I used torrents again... Its best if you can get a modem and router separately.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
1 year ago#10
WerdnAndreW posted...
The SBG6580 is a not a bad modem/router combo, I used it for a few years. The router part of the modem doesn't do to well with torrents, after a while the config page would get laggy and so would my games. After a reset, everything was well until I used torrents again... Its best if you can get a modem and router separately.

I think that's what I'll do, thanks
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Quick Modem/Router question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived