This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bios CPU temperature vs HWmonitor.

#1Famous-KPosted 8/8/2014 11:50:09 PM
I don't get it. Why is it that my bios show me that my cpu temp is 66C on idle , but when i go into windows and use the HWmonitor software and do a stress test , the maximum that i can get is 55C on my CPU.. Something is not right.

66C on idle is impossible... That wouldnt make sense in my opinion. My CPU is NOT overclocked or anything.. So does that mean my BIOS temp is somehow false and the true CPU temp is the one that i see on the HWmonitor? Thanks.
#2MyDogSkipPosted 8/8/2014 11:53:31 PM(edited)
Something is definitely up with the temperature your bios is reporting. I'd almost be inclined to say it's in Fahrenheit (19 C), but that's unlikely unless your computer is in a very cold room. Still, high 20s to low 30s (C) is common for idle CPU temp.

If it's an Intel CPU and you're not OCing, 55 under load sounds reasonable.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#3Famous-K(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:00:26 AM
MyDogSkip posted...
Something is definitely up with the temperature your bios is reporting. I'd almost be inclined to say it's in Fahrenheit (19 C), but that's unlikely unless your computer is in a very cold room. Still, high 20s to low 30s (C) is common for idle CPU temp.

If it's an Intel CPU and you're not OCing, 55 under load sounds reasonable.

Yes. On HWmonitor i get around 25C on idle and 55 max with a 10 minute stress test. Is it possible that there is two temperature sensor? One on the motherboard and the other one on the CPU? Maybe the one on the motherboard gets hot quicker i don't know lol.
#4MyDogSkipPosted 8/9/2014 12:04:06 AM
You should be able to see all of the sensors in HWmonitor. Both your motherboard and your CPU have temperature sensors.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#5Famous-K(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:17:29 AM
MyDogSkip posted...
You should be able to see all of the sensors in HWmonitor. Both your motherboard and your CPU have temperature sensors.

Yes the BIOS CPU temp is listed in the motherboard section as : tmpin0
#6phy2jshPosted 8/9/2014 4:58:23 AM
I would guess that power saving features don't get going until windows loads. So, your cpu is under more load when in the bios.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#7ClouddxPosted 8/9/2014 4:59:12 AM
BIOS puts almost full load on the CPU therefore raising temps dramatically.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#8RadarPosted 8/13/2014 9:02:46 AM
phy2jsh posted...
I would guess that power saving features don't get going until windows loads. So, your cpu is under more load when in the bios.

This. AMD Quiet and Cool doesn't kick in until Win is loaded.

In the BIOS it's running at full FBS/Multiplier so the temps jump up. Run a virus scan or something low usage, enough to fully power the CPU, and see if the temps match.
---
{missing_var_sig}
#9dementedlullabyPosted 8/13/2014 9:41:49 AM
My bios temps aren't the same as my temps when using monitoring programs like speedfan, corsair, etcetc. (Maximus VI Hero ROG board) I figure the monitoring software is correct since different programs report the same temps. I've read other people have the same issue.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death