This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why you wouldn't want to game on pc

#21LikeGoodMorningPosted 8/9/2014 6:20:21 AM
Clouddx posted...
Yeh and? Consoles have the same problems, I posted builds from $200-$500. All cheaper or as cheap as a new console. The $300+ range will get you something that can compete with consoles on every level and may even provide better quality setting

I am just saying my experience when it comes to average hardware for the time and games crashing because of it has been horrible. If you guys can get by with playing games at just barely over the minimum requirement for a game and have no issues awesome. That just hasn't been my experience.
#22ClouddxPosted 8/9/2014 6:28:58 AM(edited)
Altmadragon posted...
Clouddx posted...
LikeGoodMorning posted...
Clouddx posted...
$200 gaming PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYTMhDoMS8

Can't even get a new console for that little.

and deal with constant game slow downs even with settings low and random crashes from your hardware sucking to much?

Yeh and? Consoles have the same problems, I posted builds from $200-$500. All cheaper or as cheap as a new console. The $300+ range will get you something that can compete with consoles on every level and may even provide better quality settings.

That pc is crap. Might aswell get a 3ds, it more than likely more powerful. Lmao.

Like I said, that's the bare minimum... but at least it can play games. The $300 build will absolutely beat consoles in anything.

My brother has the $300 setup and he plays anything with no problems whatsoever. No crashes, 30-60fps in most games with a mix of Medium-Ultra Settings @ 1080p. More than any console can do, and it's also cheaper than any new console.

For $400 the price of a new console you can own a PC that can play any game on Ultra settings @ 30fps/1080p.

Let's just face it, consoles are getting more expensive while PCs are getting cheaper to build and end up being better all round. Lets not even mention the fact that you can easily make your money back thru Steam Sales and game bundles that consoles don't have.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#23LikeGoodMorningPosted 8/9/2014 6:29:01 AM
Clouddx posted...
Like I said, that's the bare minimum... but at least it can play games. The $300 build will absolutely beat consoles in anything.

My brother has the $300 setup and he plays anything with no problems whatsoever.

I seriously doubt that. $400 for the ps4 would be a much better value when it comes to long term. You're not factoring in optimization and how good games can look on the weak hardware.

Plus the hardware is going to be pretty out of date when the real next gen pc games come in 2015/2016 while the ps4 should be able to play the games much better than the $300 pc can. Also remember that most games on pc seem to never be optimized well which lowers the value of these cheap pc setups a lot imo.
#24ClouddxPosted 8/9/2014 6:34:52 AM(edited)
Clouddx posted...

My brother has the $300 setup and he plays anything with no problems whatsoever.

I seriously doubt that. $400 for the ps4 would be a much better value when it comes to long term. You're not factoring in optimization and how good games can look on the weak hardware.

Plus the hardware is going to be pretty out of date when the real next gen pc games come in 2015/2016 while the ps4 should be able to play the games much better than the $300 pc can. Also remember that most games on pc seem to never be optimized well which lowers the value of these cheap pc setups a lot imo.

You don't know what you're talking about. My brother owns the system, I can attest to its capabilities. Console games for the most part aren't even close to 1080p. And in a year or two 1/2 way thru the consoles life cycle a PC that can match or beat consoles will be even cheaper.

Please what this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtLVktnzO2M

Also, here's a video of the system playing Crysis 3 with no problems whatsoever on higher settings than consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4pwKrvfKBs

So if you wanna sacrifice a little FPS instead of having 50+, you can bump up the settings and run it at 30fps all while looking way better than any of the consoles.
---
#25LikeGoodMorningPosted 8/9/2014 6:35:30 AM
''This also is one of the best gaming pcs that you can build if you are going to get into pc gaming''

How can I take the video seriously when it says that in the description? There is no point to buying a gaming pc right now anyways when the Geforce 800 series is 2 months away.
#26ClouddxPosted 8/9/2014 6:41:31 AM(edited)
''This also is one of the best gaming pcs that you can build if you are going to get into pc gaming''

How can I take the video seriously when it says that in the description? There is no point to buying a gaming pc right now anyways when the Geforce 800 series is 2 months away.

Nice job selectivly quoting BTW that's not what it says:
This is one of the fastest $400 gaming pcs that you can build right now that will easily acheive 30fps in any game at ultra settings at 1080p.

Now go show me a console that can do the same thing... Oh wait, you can't.

Because ATM it's true, oh btw how can I take you seriously when the Geforce 900 series is coming out in X amount of months... might as well wait for that...

Seriously?

That build is the best you can get for the price, and will perform better than any console out there, as shown in the Crysis 3 video. The fact that the 800 series cards are coming out soon just means you'll get better performance for cheaper. Again making it much cheaper than buying a console.

Holy s*** I shoulda known, you're a troll. Please go back to the console boards if you have nothing of value to say.
---
#27Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 8/9/2014 6:46:20 AM
If I was a Luddite who was afraid to take the handful of hours it takes to learn about how they work, I guess. Then I might be content plugging in a console and calling it a day.

If I was cash strapped to the point where I couldn't afford a PC, I'd probably be more interested in working a second job than spending my free time playing video games.

That's about all I can think of.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#28LikeGoodMorningPosted 8/9/2014 6:51:50 AM
Just because the video says it can play any game at 1080p @30fps and ultra settings doesn't mean it's true and I don't have to believe it which I don't. 30fps on pc means you most likely will get slow down by the way from any dips at all.
#29ThisGuy101Posted 8/9/2014 6:52:02 AM
Clouddx posted...

Nice job selectivly quoting BTW that's not what it says:
This is one of the fastest $400 gaming pcs that you can build right now that will easily acheive 30fps in any game at ultra settings at 1080p.

Now go show me a console that can do the same thing... Oh wait, you can't.

Because ATM it's true, oh btw how can I take you seriously when the Geforce 900 series is coming out in X amount of months... might as well wait for that...

Seriously?

That build is the best you can get for the price, and will perform better than any console out there, as shown in the Crysis 3 video. The fact that the 800 series cards are coming out soon just means you'll get better performance for cheaper. Again making it much cheaper than buying a console.

Holy s*** I shoulda known, you're a troll. Please go back to the console boards if you have nothing of value to say.

FFS shut the **** up. You're the single most annoying elitist on this thread. Go away. A $400 PS4 will have better performance than a $400 gaming PC. This is a fact. Sony cut a deal with AMD to get CPUs and GPUs at a lower rate than you can get them on PC. You simply can't build a rig with comparable specs for the same price.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#30RaikouenPosted 8/9/2014 6:52:50 AM
My reasons for delaying so long are as followed:

1. The few times I played PC games in the past, like Red Alert, RA2, and Morrowind, they were painful installs and setups. You had to know which folders they work best in, how to properly align all extra content, and still hope you got it working right if you are new. Gettin my new computer when I have no internet to download through Steam made this apparent again. In comparison, just pop a disc into a PlayStation and you're playing within seconds, no complications involved aside from maybe a patch and install, all done automatically.

2. Lack of set standard. It's hard for a newcomer to learn what's good and what isn't. Nothing is more frustrating than spending $500 and realizing that a lot of games are poorly optimized for the parts you chose making games play worse than they should. I was thinking of holding out until SteamBox, but they aren't holding any set standards either, it seems.

3. Lack of friends who play. I am a social gamer, and I typically only like playing with people I know in real life. I know a total of two people who play on PC, and one of them just started out this year as well. In comparison, I have about 20 PSN friends and 10 XBL friends who have been playing on those consoles since at least 2009.

4. Controller. I suck with K/M, I've always felt that the mouse was a good part, but the keyboard just made a clunky mess of a game requiring precise movements. Yes, I know some PC games natively use controllers and other you can map keystrokes to a controller, but having every game natively run with the controller desired right out of the box, no extra set up or installs required, was a bonus for me.

That's just my opinions though.