This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Damn, I've tried to deny for years but JRPGs are better than WRPGs

#11Kokuei05Posted 8/9/2014 10:07:04 AM(edited)
Almost all JRPG's are very forgettable. They spawn like zerglings and disappear within a blink of an eye.

The only JRPG I believe is still relevant today is Mother. The Mother series hold up. Everything else doesn't.
---
Xeon x3220 @ 3.3Ghz [367*9] | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-EP45-UD3L | Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800 | EA-430W | 1GB 560 AC Twin Turbo II | WD 500 GB | AL1916W | G400s | HTF600-S
#12dementedlullabyPosted 8/9/2014 10:04:55 AM
I like both. Although a lot of the Jrpgs are too lolifest for me today, Hyperdimension Neptunia for example.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#13HighOnPhazonPosted 8/9/2014 10:06:11 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
They can be fun and relatively deep without being overly complicated.

I've tried to remain true to the master race, and while I enjoyed Baldur's Gate and other infinity engine games, planescape torment which is heralded as a masterpiece everywhere is one of the most boring games I have ever played.

Also the characters. Even with all the stereotypes, I can't think of a single WRPG character I like while I can think of dozens from JRPGs. Western RPGs really don't have decent characters or character development [from a story perspective]. The only wrpg with decent characters was the Mass Effect series which not everybody likes and it is s*** on every day by ending haters. I dare you name a memorable WRPG character, I don't think there will be even 10, it's just the truth.

And yeah, you are sacrificing some freedom if you go jrpgs, but I noticed that even with all that freedom that I had, I wasn't taking advantage of it. I don't want to walk into a town and waste all NPCs, it's not fun to me, so I'll take less freedom and a slightly more linear approach over absolute freedom with a dull story.

And inventory, Fallout was a chore to play because its inventory was crap, one of the "best" games ever but it manages to have worse HUD than vanilla Oblivion.

Also first-person dungeon crawlers. Dungeon crawlers on PC are old and wrinkled, archaic. The Etrian Odyssey series [japanese games] breathed new life into the genre. The best Might and Magic game was X and people complain because it's too casual, lol. I'll take fun over pointless complication just to make your game look better just because it is more complex.

Stop heralding RPGs that TRY to be complicated. Having deep but sound mechanics is something good games are good at. Being complicated is not a requirement and not even a sign of a good RPG.

You deserve to be shunned
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#14LikeGoodMorningPosted 8/9/2014 10:07:18 AM
If you are going by last gen I can see why you would like wrpg's better. The ps2 era of the good quality jrpg's killed last gen jrpg's when it came to story quality bar none.
I can only name lost odyssey and Xenoblade for stories I really got into for last gen jrpg's but can name 20 or more from the ps2 era.
#15Hi CPosted 8/9/2014 10:09:15 AM
r7gerrabbit posted...
WRPG's are more about character development. Stats, and building them to suit your needs. You are your character.

JRPG's are about story.

Different genre's entirely. I hate JRPG's because I don't play games for story. I love WRPG's because I can build my character, and even things like persuasion can do things for you.

JRPG's are like all fad based phenomenon with the sheep. It's about being a part of something without actually feeling like you're invested. Some random, probably another sheep,asks you if you like "RPG's" and you say Final Fantasy no is going to accuse you of being a nerd like if you had said D&D or some other pen and paper system. Whenever it gets too uncool, like when a string of FF13 garbage came out, they'll just abscond and find something else.

I don't play games for story. If I want a story I will read a book by an actual author not fanfic/anime level s*** from some wannabe or failed Hollywood wash out. Character, lore, and world interaction are much more important and can carry their own story.
#16Love_Me_SexyPosted 8/9/2014 10:11:05 AM
JRPGs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WRPGs

TC is right.
---
4930k || X79 Deluxe || MSI 760 4GB || 16GB RAM || 240GB SSD || 2x180GB SSD (RAID0) || 4TB SSHD || 1200w PSU
#17AdalwulfyPosted 8/9/2014 10:13:11 AM
Planescape is a top contender for one of the best stories in gaming.
The gameplay portion though...that's a whole other thing.

And I like the Baldur's Gate gameplay, but really can't be assed to ever replay Planescape exactly because of the combat.
---
For anyone confused about what makes a game a JRPG or WRPG, please educate yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8
#18Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 10:34:43 AM
I'm not disputing torment's story, but it IS boring as hell.

JRPGs are often more fun and have more epic storylines. The one WRPG who tried to be that way [ME3] had oscar bait soundtrack to match the tryhard epic story, and it actually succeeded. Best WRPG series.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#19DaedalusExPosted 8/9/2014 10:37:28 AM
When's the last time a JRPG had a 3 dimensional character?
#20NemerlightPosted 8/9/2014 10:37:44 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
planescape torment which is heralded as a masterpiece everywhere is one of the most boring games I have ever played.

I'm not mad just really disappointed

Cant you ban him for saying such things. Such blasphemy should not go unpunished!
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif