This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Damn, I've tried to deny for years but JRPGs are better than WRPGs

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Damn, I've tried to deny for years but JRPGs are better than WRPGs
1 year ago#21
http://i.imgur.com/fsiBSMN.jpg
---
http://i.imgur.com/PUlTENu.png
Iron Within, Iron Without
1 year ago#22
I love JRPG's. Dragon Warrior on the NES is what got me into RPG's in the first place. FF4 on the SNES made them my favorite genre. Some of them do have good stories, and decent character development...sure a lot have the standard cliches in them, but they are still quite enjoyable. I still play the old SNES, PS1, PS2, Genesis, etc JRPG's on em. I have a blast with them.

However, I also like WRPG's. Generally the exploration is much better. Some of their stories are pretty good (Yes PT DOES have a good story, regardless of what the TC thinks). I've spent more time on Morrowind and Skyrim than I have any other game other than WoW. So they can be very engrossing in the exploration and loot.

You CAN like both and survive. You DON'T have to pick one or the other. That's the great thing about gaming lol.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
1 year ago#23
Haeravon posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
planescape torment which is heralded as a masterpiece everywhere is one of the most boring games I have ever played.

Stopped reading after this.

I actually agree with him. It's a great story, and wonderfully written, but it's dreadfully dull and underwhelming in every other regard.

I've given the game 6 tries, just couldn't push myself through it. I'm a big fan of the infinity engine games too.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
1 year ago#24
DaedalusEx posted...
When's the last time a JRPG had a 3 dimensional character?

Radiant Historia, Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey and Persona 4, going sequentially further back chronologically. Trails in the Sky as well, that actually goes way back to 2004 though. That's from what I played. The Last Story and Atelier games allegedly have some good characters too. Too many to keep up with.

Then you have the Rune Factories if you consider those JRPGs.
---
1 year ago#25
Sinfullyvannila posted...
DaedalusEx posted...

Radiant Historia, Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey and Persona 4, going sequentially further back chronologically. That's from what I played. The Last Story and Atelier games allegedly have some good characters too. Too many to keep up with.

Lost Odyssey could have been a great game... had a wonderful story and a decent combat system. Then disc one ended and Cooke and Mack took over the game and ruined it. Lots of JRPG games have this problem, they seem absolutely addicted to throwing in some joke/kid/loli character who intrudes into and ruins the rest of the game.
---
Join the gaming community at www.haeravon.com
Watch gaming videos at www.youtube.com/haeravonfaqs
1 year ago#26
Yes, they are.
---
Xbox|Steam: Call Me A Hero
http://raptr.com/Call_Me_A_Hero
1 year ago#27
Haeravon posted...
DaedalusEx posted...

Radiant Historia, Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey and Persona 4, going sequentially further back chronologically. That's from what I played. The Last Story and Atelier games allegedly have some good characters too. Too many to keep up with.

Lost Odyssey could have been a great game... had a wonderful story and a decent combat system. Then disc one ended and Cooke and Mack took over the game and ruined it. Lots of JRPG games have this problem, they seem absolutely addicted to throwing in some joke/kid/loli character who intrudes into and ruins the rest of the game.

They served there purpose which was to develop the MC, who was their father.

You aren't seeing the forest through the trees. They weren't pointless characters like Quina or that thing from Xenogears.
---
1 year ago#28
http://i.imgur.com/lXBTiVo.gif
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
1 year ago#29
I agree with the TC for the most part. I've never really been into JRPG until I played FFIX a few months back, now it's my main type I play.

However I still like to boot up Skyrim modded to hell and back and just play. Not really for the story because imo it has no story but just cause it's fun. Same with fallout...it has no story or character development bit that doesn't matter.
1 year ago#30
They served there purpose which was to develop the MC, who was their father.

If you're talking about Kaim, he was their (maternal) grandfather.
---
If you can read this, you don't need glasses.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Damn, I've tried to deny for years but JRPGs are better than WRPGs

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived