This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Damn, I've tried to deny for years but JRPGs are better than WRPGs

#31Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:30:26 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Haeravon posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
planescape torment which is heralded as a masterpiece everywhere is one of the most boring games I have ever played.

Stopped reading after this.

I actually agree with him. It's a great story, and wonderfully written, but it's dreadfully dull and underwhelming in every other regard.

I've given the game 6 tries, just couldn't push myself through it. I'm a big fan of the infinity engine games too.

same here!

I actually tried the game at least 10 times, it's just way too boring which is really sad because the story looks very interesting.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#32Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 3:03:33 PM
Haeravon posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
When's the last time a JRPG had a 3 dimensional character?

Radiant Historia, Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey and Persona 4, going sequentially further back chronologically. That's from what I played. The Last Story and Atelier games allegedly have some good characters too. Too many to keep up with.

Then you have the Rune Factories if you consider those JRPGs.

Lost Odyssey could have been a great game... had a wonderful story and a decent combat system. Then disc one ended and Cooke and Mack took over the game and ruined it. Lots of JRPG games have this problem, they seem absolutely addicted to throwing in some joke/kid/loli character who intrudes into and ruins the rest of the game.

I agree that the stereotype has met its quota, but they're easily endurable as long as they're not like the infamous scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

that whole scene makes me cringe
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#33SythisTaruPosted 8/9/2014 3:04:03 PM
He put a swear word in the topic title, ban him!
#34muchmusic64Posted 8/9/2014 3:08:44 PM
Haeravon posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
planescape torment which is heralded as a masterpiece everywhere is one of the most boring games I have ever played.

Stopped reading after this.

I actually agree with him. It's a great story, and wonderfully written, but it's dreadfully dull and underwhelming in every other regard.

I've given the game 6 tries, just couldn't push myself through it. I'm a big fan of the infinity engine games too.

This will also be me. I tried it based on rep, got 5 hours into it and couldn't do it again. Story seemed pretty damn good, couldn't get past the combat from what I remember.
#35blade6321Posted 8/9/2014 3:13:43 PM
Haeravon posted...
Hell, Mass Effect 2 contradicts you admirably. It has almost no meaningful stats, and it's all about story. If you're willing to consider it an RPG, anyways.

What story.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
Whose eyes are those eyes?
#36chandl34Posted 8/9/2014 3:21:12 PM
I'd agree 20 years ago.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#37HeadEXplodePosted 8/9/2014 3:27:28 PM
I generally prefer WRPGs. There's something about a bunch of characters grouped together standing still while they wait their turn to attack while you go through menus as way too played out.
---
"I started thinking, 'maybe the two of us should blow up this house.' You know, just to get back at them for thinking I might blow up this house."
#38SythisTaruPosted 8/9/2014 3:32:57 PM
blade6321 posted...
Haeravon posted...
Hell, Mass Effect 2 contradicts you admirably. It has almost no meaningful stats, and it's all about story. If you're willing to consider it an RPG, anyways.

What story.

Derp.
#39SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/9/2014 3:37:11 PM
HeadEXplode posted...
I generally prefer WRPGs. There's something about a bunch of characters grouped together standing still while they wait their turn to attack while you go through menus as way too played out.

That's like 70% of WRPGs. Probably 95% up until the Infinity engine games.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#40bluemooglePosted 8/9/2014 3:40:51 PM
Most JRPGs are basically playable episodes of shonen anime. They have flashy stories with an extreme overemphasis on powerlevels and superficial heroism, the sort of things that serve as fantasy-fuel for immature kids and teens. Mix together some tsunderes, emo teen heroes, impossibly large weapons with unrealistically acrobatic fight styles, throw in a final boss with enough power to reshape the universe (yet somehow defeated by the power of friendship), and boom: JRPGs.

I can't think of a single JRPG character or storyline that I couldn't insert into a Dragonball Z episode.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.