This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Damn, I've tried to deny for years but JRPGs are better than WRPGs

#41revolverPosted 8/9/2014 2:48:16 PM
I will agree that jrpgs have more memorable characters and some pretty classic music. Aside from that, wrpgs are more deep and have better gameplay.

If you're not a weeaboo it's hard to take most new jrpgs seriously.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#42capgamerPosted 8/9/2014 2:51:38 PM
I dare you name a memorable WRPG character, I don't think there will be even 10, it's just the truth.

Challenge accepted!

Mr. House - Fallout New Vegas
Fargoth - The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
The Bard - The Bard's Tale (PS2, XBOX, PC)
Handsome Jack - Borderlands 2
Marius - Diablo 2
David Serif - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Morte - Planescape: Torment
The Illusive Man - Mass Effect 2
Geralt of Rivia - The Witcher
Shodan - System Shock 2

I made it a point not to pick games from the same series, btw.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#43SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/9/2014 2:55:56 PM(edited)
I like anything where I throw stats at stats to get more stats to throw at bigger stats.

"I guess I just like liking things" -Abhed, Community
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#44capgamerPosted 8/9/2014 2:54:00 PM
bluemoogle posted...
I can't think of a single JRPG character or storyline that I couldn't insert into a Dragonball Z episode.

I can't either but I think it's because Dragon Ball Z incorporates elements of magic, sci fi, history (Hitler is in an episode and he tries to recruit a couple of Super Saiyans for crying out loud), and basically you can throw anything into it and it would work in some way.

I love that show. :)
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#45BlueswordsXPosted 8/9/2014 3:00:42 PM
I do of often play RPGs for story first and foremost, and I don't think that's a JRPG vs WRPG thing. Isn't story what a lot of people here tend to stress when the whole debate about what qualifies as a "roleplaying" game pops up? It's a matter of acquired taste at times. I hated Etrian Odyssey II the first time I played it because of the lack of story, yet utterly loved EOIII and solo'd the game when I played it a few years later due to a changed mindset about what I'm looking for in the RPG, and now I have difficulty motivating myself to play the new story mode in EO Untold because of not customizing my own characters.

For me, there's something else I originally loved about JRPG that clashed with some core philosophy of WRPG though. A lot of WRPG fans love stressing choice and creation, but being brought into gaming by Pokemon first and foremost (which is why I originally ignored any game genres that weren't RPG), my mindset for a long time was driven by a desire to "catch 'em all", or 100% completion. I could not motivate myself to play FF7 anymore after I realized I missed a summon permanently, so again this isn't just about WRPG; the fact that you practically need to be glued to a walkthrough if you don't want to miss anything permanently are one of my least favorite aspects of the Final Fantasy series to this day. This mindset made it difficult to enjoy many of WRPG I played at first, especially if they tried emphasizing character builds or meaningful choices. I originally instinctively equated "choices" with "how many New Game + runs I'd need to grind through to get everything" and it bothered me when that wasn't an option. I guess that's why Elder Scrolls was the series that really sucked me into WRPG and made me give the other games another go, as it whetted my collector nature while the choices didn't really mean much in the long run as I could do almost everything anyways no matter how ridiculous it was to be the chosen one ten times over (sorry, that wasn't meant as a burn against the series!). Also I played Morrowind first so that actually impressed me with its story and huge amount of lore. I wonder what would have happened if I played Skyrim first instead...

I've also come to enjoy lighthearted, silly stories and lovable, wacky characters, so while a lot of people complain about silliness, loli, lack of "epicness", ect in some of the more niche JRPG series, that's generally a plus for me. If they make me laugh, I'm entertained, and entertainment was what a lot of game companies used to stress back in the day! What I've come to dislike in some are the angsty stories that try too hard to look cool, going on and on about revenge and destiny to the point I become desensitized.

By the way, Rune Factory 4 is one of my favorite games in years, incorporating a silly anime setting with lots of charming characters with lots of my favorite elements from Elder Scrolls games! Skill level increases everywhere, be it eating, walking, or bathing!
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!
#46bluemooglePosted 8/9/2014 3:01:53 PM
capgamer posted...
bluemoogle posted...
I can't think of a single JRPG character or storyline that I couldn't insert into a Dragonball Z episode.

I can't either but I think it's because Dragon Ball Z incorporates elements of magic, sci fi, history (Hitler is in an episode and he tries to recruit a couple of Super Saiyans for crying out loud), and basically you can throw anything into it and it would work in some way.

I love that show. :)

Haha yea, that's true. I like the show, too, up until the Majin saga at least. Then it got pretty stale for me.

I like a lot of JRPGs, too, for that matter. I made the comparison mostly because the TC brought up story and characters in JRPGs. But to be fair, a lot of WRPGs are about as deep as a 90s "dark age" comic book. And to be fair to both, not every game needs to be exceptionally deep to be a fun, memorable game.

But it does irk me when people use characters like Sephiroth as an example of how "awesome" JRPGs are.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#47SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/9/2014 3:07:36 PM
Sephiroth was wasted potential.

Jenova would have been a better villain.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#48clowningPosted 8/9/2014 3:26:48 PM
I hate the old WRPGs (BG, PST, etc.). I also hate JRPGs. I find all of those games mind numbingly boring, and always wonder why people consider something like BG is for smart people. It's so brain dead easy.... All of those games are. Only in more recent years have RPGs become fun for me, with a faster pace and third person/first person perspectives. And those are WRPGs. The JRPGs are just as lame as ever.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#49jessica73Posted 8/9/2014 3:38:30 PM
That's great tc; for me the tide turned to wrpg earlier, but I was already into D&D and fantasy beffore I touched my first non JRPG. I was maybe 9 when I played Shadowrun GEN/SNES and (at the time before I played the real version, the awesome) Ultima The Black Gate SNES, and that was the beginning of the end; once I finally got an xbox and a decent PC in the early 00s, I picked up Morrowind, KOTOR, FO1/2, BG2, PST , and Arcanum. I like choice and consequence, I like open worlds, custom characters (or at least breadth in dialog choices to customize personality, and preferably nonlinearity, so yeah, I found my true RPG love @_@

I like some JRPGs a lot; I like Suikoden, Dragon Quest, Rune Factory (over 200 in RF4 already @_@), Earthbound, Grandia, Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade, stuff like that; but more and more they are turning into fanservicy nonsense like Conception or Hyperdimension Neptunia. No f***ing thank you to that, but then there are WRPGs like that too like current Bioware. V_v
---
http://i.imgur.com/uAzPe.jpg http://steamsigmaker.de/bg/thebotqueen.png
http://raptr.com/badge/thebotqueen/ach.png
#50SpazH3dPosted 8/9/2014 3:42:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]