This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how are gaming mice superior?

#21R i c kPosted 8/9/2014 4:11:17 PM
Too much BS about optics and whatnot. I've been playing shooters all my life and let me simplify... There are three things that matter in a mouse and they are, in order of importance: comfort, response, buttons.

Comfort is a personal thing. Nobody can tell you X mouse is better than Y mouse if you can't stand using X mouse.

Response depends on a couple factors including sensitivity and weight/friction. Having variable sens is good for a couple reasons like if you have a multimonitor display, you might want different sens for single monitor apps/games versus multimonitor ones and adjusting via the mouse is better than manually tuning all your apps/games. Rough tune via mouse, fine tune via game/app. If you like to switch weapons a lot in games it can help there, too. Personally, I like high hipfire sens and low ADS sens for long-distance weapons but medium sens for both hipfire and ADS for CQC weapons. Depends on preference, of course. Most gaming mice, in my experience have great weight and friction for shooters but if that's an issue some gaming mice have adjustable weights.

Finally, buttons. This is another personal thing. If you want more buttons, gaming mice offer 5, 7, 12 or more buttons. My last mouse was a 9-button and I liked it for shooters. I recently decided to pick an MMO back up that I used to play and when my 9-button started biting the dust I figured I'd get an MMO mouse with the full 12-button number pad on the side. Works great for shooters, too.

So why a gaming mouse? Well, aside from the fact that they're generally better even when stock, the best part is that they're highly customizable. Do you need a mouse with a ridiculously high DPI? No. I rarely even go above 3000 DPI even though my mouse goes up to 8200 but the fact is that I can customize my sens to my liking and I can adjust it on the fly. Having a mouse tuned to your preferences will make it easier to use. Extra buttons are also a lot more useful than most people will admit. Sure, if you're playing a 2-weapon shooter it doesn't make a huge difference but some games it does. I mean, when's the last time you saw a gamepad with only 3 buttons for your right hand to use? Sega Genesis? lol
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded and others. Tune in!
#22Bmvc1Posted 8/9/2014 4:13:04 PM
Laser > Optical.....Does this fact upset your hipster sensibilities?
#23MaxCHEATER64Posted 8/14/2014 10:54:09 AM
The more accurate a sensor, the better the mouse for gaming.

And that means literally everyone should be using a G400(s). I bit the bullet and accepted a slightly worse sensor in exchange for more functionality by buying my G700s. Rick got it right.

---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#24GunmaN1905Posted 8/14/2014 11:15:04 AM
Like 5 years ago, you could've said that optical mice had noticably better sensor than laser ones.

But nowdays, only people with OCD can notice tracking issues with top-tier lases mice because they want to notice it.
Performance difference is maybe 1%.
What's that 1% on zowie fk1 good for when I'm really unconfortable using it.
#25SpazH3dPosted 8/14/2014 11:27:01 AM
What's the greatest laser mouse out right now? Please don't name a razer product or anything with gamer in the name.
---
- My vision is augmented
#26CELTEKKPosted 8/14/2014 11:35:33 AM
I enjoy my Logitech g9x. beast mouse.
---
i long to see their faces...
regardless of the decay
#27YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/14/2014 11:47:13 AM
Response times are another thing gaming mice are better for. I use a $12 mouse that's styled after the deathadder, but it goes into power save moder after, like, half a second of inactivity. When I move the mouse again, the sensor tries to play catch up and guesses how far I've moved it. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's a bit jerky.

Mostly, though, just get a mouse that you find comfortable and has as many buttons as you want and you'll be fine. My mouse has side buttons and they mostly go ignored, unless I'm playing something like FEAR where right click is mapped to something other than zoom, or Red Orchestra 2, where I need to be able to swap fire modes and drop guns easily. It's just nice to have the buttons when I need them.

Really, I'd place more importance on getting a keyboard with high rollover than a gaming mouse.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#28TimePharaohPosted 8/14/2014 11:59:53 AM
cuteboi100 posted...
Let's define a "Gaming Mouse" first, as it is just a nice-sounding marketing term:

- It might have some lights

Must
#29BogePosted 8/14/2014 1:22:24 PM
Features. I like a "gaming" mouse because of the different levels of DPI settings as well as the extra buttons.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#30PraetorXynPosted 8/14/2014 3:14:49 PM
There are optical gaming mice with sensors that do not have acceleration, do not have angle snapping/prediction, do not have z-axis issues, have a low lift off distance, and have a high perfect-control speed. Perfect control speed is pretty noticeable for low sensitivity gamers, as if you are just using a Dell optical mouse (that's what I had like 10 years ago) you'll notice that when you move your mouse too fast the cursor either slows down or stops completely.

All laser mice are garbage though, and that's what most people buy.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png