This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people here hate Origin?

#21XtremeWRATH360Posted 8/9/2014 5:59:50 PM
This is one thing i never understood about PC users and i can't get behind. Origin seems fine to me i got some games through them and they have free games every now and then, what's not to like......oh wait its EA -_-
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#22MackorovPosted 8/9/2014 6:41:14 PM
YeonGoa posted...
King Pazuzu posted...

1. Competition is good for the consumer.

It's not really competition though. I see it more as EA and Ubisoft just being greedy and not wanting to put their games on Steam cause they'll have less control over the consumer as far as DRM and such.

They're not being greedy. This is business. You know who owns a monopoly in the entire PC platform right now? Yeah that's right, it's Valve because of Steam. And you know how much they profit of EACH and EVERY game on their precious DRM client? It's usually about 30% of the cut they get.
Of course no developer wants that, yet they have no choice since Steam has become the only de facto place to market their games. Ubisoft and EA have their resources, so they're trying to break away from this.
But as expected, you people are so used to Steam you've become pure biased to it. Remember when Steam first came out? It was panned just as much by everyone.
And what's wrong with having one or two extra clients for your games? Are you actually planning to play the games or spend time surfing Origin then later complaining about it?
#23steveboblarryPosted 8/9/2014 6:43:17 PM
Mackorov posted...
YeonGoa posted...
King Pazuzu posted...

It's not really competition though. I see it more as EA and Ubisoft just being greedy and not wanting to put their games on Steam cause they'll have less control over the consumer as far as DRM and such.

They're not being greedy. This is business. You know who owns a monopoly in the entire PC platform right now? Yeah that's right, it's Valve because of Steam. And you know how much they profit of EACH and EVERY game on their precious DRM client? It's usually about 30% of the cut they get.
Of course no developer wants that, yet they have no choice since Steam has become the only de facto place to market their games. Ubisoft and EA have their resources, so they're trying to break away from this.
But as expected, you people are so used to Steam you've become pure biased to it. Remember when Steam first came out? It was panned just as much by everyone.
And what's wrong with having one or two extra clients for your games? Are you actually planning to play the games or spend time surfing Origin then later complaining about it?

There are good business practices and there are bad business practices to maximize profits, EA was doing bad business practices in attempt to get more money from the consumer. regardless though I have been using Origin for a while now its not bad.
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#24x_Alpha_xPosted 8/9/2014 6:53:36 PM
I actually don't give a **** I mean seriously, I could give a **** less about some company politics that I have no control over. If I want to play a game I'll play it, Doesn't matter if its on Steam or Origin. I play games not companies. IMO the moment you start to care more about the politics and inner workings of the company instead of "Is this game fun? Do I like this game? Am I enjoying myself" then you should stop considering yourself a gamer...and that goes for ANY platform.
---
This is why we can't have nice things.
#25DragnfyrPosted 8/9/2014 7:04:39 PM
It's redundant with Steam. The whole point of a game client is to centralize your game collection. Having multiple clients defeats that purpose and just makes everything messier and more disorganized.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#26mjc0961Posted 8/9/2014 7:12:55 PM
King Pazuzu posted...
It uses a lot less memory than Steam (48MB on Origin 150MB on Steam for me)

If 102MB is "a lot less" to you, you're doing PC gaming wrong. The difference is completely negligible when you should have a total of at least 4GB. 48MB is roughly 1.1% of your RAM, and 150MB is roughly 3.6%. Neither one are a strain on your PC, and the numbers only shrink if you have 8GB or even 16GB for whatever reason.

"It uses a lot less memory than Steam" is probably the worst defense for Origin I've ever heard.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#27mjc0961Posted 8/9/2014 7:15:33 PM
King Pazuzu posted...
TropicMoon10 posted...
It's more the idea of Origin than the service itself. I don't want to live in a world where every major publisher mandates its own store to purchase their games. It's already inconvenient enough to log into Steam, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, etc.

If things start getting out of hand I'll quit PC gaming tbh. It's a valid reason as far as I'm concerned.

2. So you will quit PC gaming simply because it takes an extra two minutes to purchase a game? Its a very minor invonvience.

This is also really bad. Origin is not competition when EA games are only available on Origin. If nobody else is selling these games, there is no competition. You either buy them on Origin or you don't play. That is NOT competition at all.

And the fact that Origin is an inconvenience at all is a problem. It shouldn't take "an extra two minutes to purchase a game" and if it does, something has gone horribly wrong.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#28jake-sfPosted 8/9/2014 7:17:18 PM(edited)
x_Alpha_x posted...
I actually don't give a **** I mean seriously, I could give a **** less about some company politics that I have no control over. If I want to play a game I'll play it, Doesn't matter if its on Steam or Origin. I play games not companies. IMO the moment you start to care more about the politics and inner workings of the company instead of "Is this game fun? Do I like this game? Am I enjoying myself" then you should stop considering yourself a gamer...and that goes for ANY platform.

Funny.

I think the exact opposite.

You're not a gamer.

You're just a person that doesn't care about the state of gaming.

Literally. You don't give a ****.

Don't get me wrong, that alone is fine. They're just games, if you're not passionate to a particular level toward them you don't have to care beyond what you do.

But please. Companies like EA is what ruins the gaming industry. People that don't care and buy into them are part of why gaming is at its worst.

Caring about the fate of gaming = not being a gamer = makes no sense to me.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#29machetemanPosted 8/9/2014 7:20:47 PM
x_Alpha_x posted...

amen.

give me a fun game to play and ill play it. im not into this hipster bullcrap likes to stand on their soapbox and preach about gaming integrity and a bunch of other crap. i swear the current gaming population is some of the whiniest bunch of crybabys i have ever seen.
#30mjc0961Posted 8/9/2014 7:21:00 PM
Mackorov posted...
And what's wrong with having one or two extra clients for your games?

For starters, in the case of Ubisoft, I shouldn't have to sign into Steam and UPlay before I can play the damn game. I already bought it on Steam. That's the only account you need to know about Ubisoft, so get the f*** out of my way and let me play. I can't decide which practice I dislike more: EA not selling their games anywhere else but at least I only need to sign into Origin to play, or Ubisoft selling their games elsewhere but keeping their UPlay crap tied into it. They could at least sell a UPlay free version on Steam or just have Steam sell you a key that you go plug into UPlay so you only need to have UPlay, but instead they offer neither and force you to sign into both. Ugh.

And it's not just PC gaming that does it. When MGS4 came out, if you wanted to play it online you had to have your PSN account and THEN you had to sign up for a Konami account too. How about f*** yourself, Konami? My PSN account should be good enough, stop trying to shoehorn your crap into the experience. Console is supposed to be the place where you can get away from garbage like that.
---
AnthonM2 posted...