This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Keep getting blue screens (maybe 1 every 2-3 days). No idea whats wrong

#11BilliePilgrimPosted 8/10/2014 2:31:36 AM
cnfjti3 posted...
I've had that problem before, it's bad ram.

If you are using 2 ram sticks, take one out, try it out. Take the other one out, and try it. If one stick runs stable, you'll know which ram is screwy.

Or do it right and run memtest86+ for each stick.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.2| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#12Xa3r0x(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 9:25:22 AM
Psythik posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
Looks like an unstable overclock. Reset your CPU to stock or increase the Vcore and do real stability testing with Prime95 and Intel Burn Test.
The last thing you want to do is run stress tests on a Haswell chip. They're connected to the heat spreader with thermal paste instead of soldier like most chips, which means that stress testing can cause the paste to dry out, raising temps and potentially destroying your CPU. AFAIK The only way to test a Haswell OC without worrying about frying your chip is to do real-world tests, like a long gaming session. That, or void your warranty and delid it.

I've never gotten a blue screen from long gaming sessions. I've gotten blue screens within 5 minutes of starting up a game though, multiple times. And usually get blue screens when I have two or more videos running at once (Twitch on one monitor, youtube on another). I put my CPU back to default settings. I will try running memtest for each ram stick and see what the problem is. The ram and harddrive are the only hardware I am using from my previous build.
---
i5-4670k @ 4.2 GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 770 2GB | GIGABYTE MX-D3H | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair CX600 | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
#13WerdnAndreWPosted 8/10/2014 9:37:05 AM
Psythik posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
Looks like an unstable overclock. Reset your CPU to stock or increase the Vcore and do real stability testing with Prime95 and Intel Burn Test.
The last thing you want to do is run stress tests on a Haswell chip. They're connected to the heat spreader with thermal paste instead of soldier like most chips, which means that stress testing can cause the paste to dry out, raising temps and potentially destroying your CPU. AFAIK The only way to test a Haswell OC without worrying about frying your chip is to do real-world tests, like a long gaming session. That, or void your warranty and delid it.

So all Haswell cpus are defective? It will be fine if you're within their operating temperature range.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#14DragnfyrPosted 8/10/2014 9:58:37 AM
Psythik posted...
Dragnfyr posted...

No. Stress tests are fine to run. You just don't want to run them on auto-voltage or else you'll get massive voltage spikes which will cause overheating and damage. As long as you set the voltage manually to a reasonable number (usually less than 1.3-1.35V) your operating temperature in Prime95 and Intel Burn Test should be in the 70-80C range which is well within below the thermal limit. That's assuming you have a decent aftermarket heatsink. If you're using the stock cooler you should not be overclocking a Haswell chip.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#15DragnfyrPosted 8/10/2014 9:59:57 AM
Xa3r0x posted...
Psythik posted...
Dragnfyr posted...

I've never gotten a blue screen from long gaming sessions. I've gotten blue screens within 5 minutes of starting up a game though, multiple times. And usually get blue screens when I have two or more videos running at once (Twitch on one monitor, youtube on another). I put my CPU back to default settings. I will try running memtest for each ram stick and see what the problem is. The ram and harddrive are the only hardware I am using from my previous build.

If you're getting BSODs at any point you're unstable. I'm assuming you've done no real stress testing?
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#16ArkonBladePosted 8/10/2014 11:46:01 AM
sounds like it could be a bad stick of Ram.
---
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#17Xa3r0x(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 8:25:57 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the RAM. I put my CPU back to stock speeds and still blue screened.
---
i5-4670k @ 4.2 GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 770 2GB | GIGABYTE MX-D3H | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | Corsair CX600 | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
#18BilliePilgrimPosted 8/14/2014 11:43:43 AM
Xa3r0x posted...
I'm pretty sure it's the RAM. I put my CPU back to stock speeds and still blue screened.

http://www.memtest.org/
---
i5 2500k @ 4.2| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
#19Xa3r0x(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 3:49:37 PM
Ok so I ran the memtest and it passed.. It found no errors. Not completely sure what to do now.
---
#20BilliePilgrimPosted 8/14/2014 9:45:29 PM
Xa3r0x posted...
Ok so I ran the memtest and it passed.. It found no errors. Not completely sure what to do now.

How many times and how long? I ran the program a few times on each stick in my wife's computer before the bad one failed. The whole process took several hours.

Try installing your OS on a different drive. Uninstall your GPU and use on board video.

Basically. Start isolating individual parts and either run your computer without them if possible, test them, or both.
---