This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any good routers on sale?

#1MCC1701Posted 8/9/2014 11:15:00 PM
Looking for a router for my apartment, wondering if there are any good ones on sale this weekend. I'm looking in the $30 range, but I'll pay for quality(and looks). Any ideas?
---
My old sig was removed as people were offended by my board level
Asking for relationship advice from strangers is typically dumb but feel free to ask me anyway
#2MCC1701(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 6:33:54 PM
bump
---
Countdown until my wedding: 27 days
#3SnadadosPosted 8/10/2014 6:45:27 PM
If you're in an apartment you're going to want to look into a 5ghz router as it is likely all the 2.4ghz channels are flooded with several signals already.
I doubt you're going to find a good 5ghz router for that price.
You'll likely need to double your budget, possibly even more than that.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#4MCC1701(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 6:52:09 PM
Snadados posted...
If you're in an apartment you're going to want to look into a 5ghz router as it is likely all the 2.4ghz channels are flooded with several signals already.
I doubt you're going to find a good 5ghz router for that price.
You'll likely need to double your budget, possibly even more than that.

Hmm, I didn't think about that, you may be right. Keeping in mind I'm trying to save money, what would you advise then?
---
#5wizardmonPosted 8/10/2014 7:38:16 PM(edited)
MCC1701 posted...
Hmm, I didn't think about that, you may be right. Keeping in mind I'm trying to save money, what would you advise then?

Your are not going to be getting a good router for use in an apartment for around 30$ unless you find a used one on craigs/ebay or something.

I'd sooner suggest running wires around which you can purchase in the cheap to all the locations you normally sit with a laptop or whatnot. assuming you are doing this for a laptop/console or something?

If it's a small apartment in a not so congested area you might be able to get away with a cheaper router. If there are a lot of people and channels overlap then everyone is going to be taking turns in the WiFi musical chairs game which exists on the lower spectrum.

5GHz range is short as it is, so if you get a really weak router without any reliable & directional antenna don't expect the range to go past 10~20 feet on a offbrand-as-hell direct from China 30$ wireless router.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6MCC1701(Topic Creator)Posted 8/10/2014 7:50:43 PM
wizardmon posted...
MCC1701 posted...

Your are not going to be getting a good router for use in an apartment for around 30$ unless you find a used one on craigs/ebay or something.

I'd sooner suggest running wires around which you can purchase in the cheap to all the locations you normally sit with a laptop or whatnot. assuming you are doing this for a laptop/console or something?

If it's a small apartment in a not so congested area you might be able to get away with a cheaper router. If there are a lot of people and channels overlap then everyone is going to be taking turns in the WiFi musical chairs game which exists on the lower spectrum.

5GHz range is short as it is, so if you get a really weak router without any reliable & directional antenna don't expect the range to go past 10~20 feet on a offbrand-as-hell direct from China 30$ wireless router.

Now you see that's the thing, my computer and console are going to be right next to the router and wired. I still will want wifi though, for my laptop and a couple other wireless devices, but chances are I will not be doing anything intensive such as gaming on them.Now down the road I may get a better one, but for now I'm looking to save a little bit and just get a "cheap" one.
---