This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you Upgrade Pre built Pcs?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you Upgrade Pre built Pcs?
10 months ago#1
I found a Refurbish Hp Pavilion that comes with a i3,8gb ram,1tbhdd and a Intel Graphics card for $300 its cheaper if i bought this and replaced the Gpu can I do that?
---
Official Plot writer for a indie game
10 months ago#2
whats the power supply? if it's 600W and up with a bronze or higher certified, then yeah. easy upgrade. and i3 isn't terrible by any means.
---
Intel i5-4750 3.2Ghz / MSI Z87-G41 / 2X 4GB DDR3 / 2 TB HDD / Geforce GTX 580 / 500W 80+ bronze
10 months ago#3
It depends on how good the PSU is and if the case is big enough to fit your graphics card.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
10 months ago#4
depends on the mobo, size of the case and most importantly the psu.

mobo is probably safe since it's an i3 processor.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
(edited 0 seconds ago)
10 months ago#5
Short answer: It's not worth it.

Long answer: depends on the other specs; the power supply has to be capable of handling the new card, the case and motherboard have to be capable of fitting the card, etc.

Even longer answer: It's nooooooooooooooot wooooooooorth itttttttt
---
MSI Z87-G45 ATX LGA1150 | i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair XMS 1x8 GB DDR3-1600 | Win7 Ultimate
Using a bow sure has its drawbacks. :V
10 months ago#6
is it a laptop of a tower?

If a laptop then no.

If a tower then I still say probably no cause I know that HP computers are known to be pos that can't be upgraded. If you want a gaming rig you should probably look elsewhere

also inb4youshouldbuildyourown
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
10 months ago#7
the main concerns with upgrading prebuilts are space, the power supply, and proprietary form factors

a lot of prebuilt cases are extremely compact, so putting a new GPU in it can be an issue. if you have the case you can take measurements and compare them to the measurements of the card (available on the spec sheet of the website you are buying from).

for the power supply, a lot of times they use a very low wattage power supply, so to be able to power a new GPU, you would need to replace the PSU as well.

As for the proprietary form factor, I havent bought a prebuilt in awhile, but i know some of the older prebuilts had some proprietary parts. This can make it difficult/impossible to replace certain parts (like a PSU for example).
---
They say he's got a lot of chutzpah, he's really quite hhhhhip
The parents pay the moyl and he gets to keep the tip
10 months ago#8
Well I gotta small build budget and this seems this would be cheaper then build one with the same specs or better. PLus its come with windows 8 so that saves me $100
---
10 months ago#9
elsmitty posted...
is it a laptop of a tower?

If a laptop then no.

If a tower then I still say probably no cause I know that HP computers are known to be pos that can't be upgraded. If you want a gaming rig you should probably look elsewhere

also inb4youshouldbuildyourown

I was gonna build one but I saw this and it comes with a i3 and windows 8.
---
10 months ago#10
HP Pavilion 500-023w Desktop PC
heres the name of the pc!
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you Upgrade Pre built Pcs?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived