This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why do you think most early access games get slow to no updates?

#21pothocketPosted 8/11/2014 7:59:47 AM
KaiserWarrior posted...
wdfoster posted...
pothocket posted...
If you really feel that strongly about EA games, do yourself a favor and commit to your stance by never buying any game that has been a part of the EA program - even after final release. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

I agree. Why should they reap the reward of others' early adoption.

For the same reason that anybody ever reaps any "rewards" of picking up any product post-1.0?

Like... srsly? Are you really making this argument right now?

Yes, I am making that argument.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#22arleasPosted 8/11/2014 8:04:45 AM
Early Access is like Kickstarter in a way... both allow games that wouldn't have been funded to be made (or allow them greater funding than possible otherwise). Early Access and Kickstarter have the potential to be abused and you should be careful with what you decide to buy/fund, but in no way does that mean that every kickstarter or early access is a scam. If you don't want to help with that funding, that is your prerogative. If you are on some kind of crusade to make sure NOBODY helps with that funding... well, that's none of your business.

Wasteland 2 was BOTH Early Access and Kickstarted, and the devs have said that if it was just Kickstarter or just Early Access, the game wouldn't be half as big as it is today. I'm sure there are numerous other success stories. I'm also sure there's some devs that burned out and didn't finish the job. That's why you should keep an eye on the games and see how many updates they get and what people are saying about the game in question.

I don't believe in preordering digital content (It makes no sense, and unlike early access you don't even get to play the damn game) but I'm not going to jump into every topic on gamefaqs that mentions it and tell everyone that they're being scammed and/or how stupid they are for falling for it...yet we have a group of butt-frustrated people that do exactly that when it comes to Kickstarter and Early Access.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#23wdfosterPosted 8/11/2014 8:45:51 AM
KaiserWarrior posted...
wdfoster posted...
pothocket posted...
If you really feel that strongly about EA games, do yourself a favor and commit to your stance by never buying any game that has been a part of the EA program - even after final release. Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

I agree. Why should they reap the reward of others' early adoption.

For the same reason that anybody ever reaps any "rewards" of picking up any product post-1.0?

Like... srsly? Are you really making this argument right now?

Since when has 1.0 been considered early access?

And yes. If someone is so vehemently against early access, and goes out of their way to bash it at every turn, then I think its a good idea that they not turn-coat and buy a post-early access game. Stick to your guns.
---
Steam ID - BarneyRound
#24tiger8191Posted 8/11/2014 8:46:24 AM
fallenswords posted...
SleepComa posted...
Lol Dayz gets updated every freaking week and the progress is going quite well IMO.

No it doesnt.

It's been out for almost a year and none of the promised features have been implemented. Zombies still walk through walls for Christ's sake.

7 months =\= a year. And it does get updated regularly. It just might not be upgraded in the way you want it to be. They also stated day 1 that beta was early 2015.
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#25wdfosterPosted 8/11/2014 9:11:07 AM
If I had to guess, I would say the TC is just butt-hurt about Rust, and came here to make a broad generalization about all early access games.
---
Steam ID - BarneyRound
#26chronotrig100Posted 8/11/2014 10:07:14 AM
Well to actually answer the question, its most likely too much work and would further delay a final build of the game. Early access is usually by small dev teams done little by little. To make frequent updates, they would have to do extra testing every time they made a small change just to make sure the game is still somewhat stable (that's how I see it at least, but yes early access is becoming a sham)
---
The fastest pinball in space.
#27Delta_F14Posted 8/11/2014 10:12:12 AM
Mostly due to inexperienced developers.
---
Vault Dweller > All other Video game characters
#28BogePosted 8/11/2014 10:47:43 AM
I agree that they take the money and then do very little afterward. That's why I'll never pay for early access or Kickstarter.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#29KURRUPTORPosted 8/11/2014 10:57:18 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
Because people are idiots who throw money at unfinished games.

I had more fun playing rust with two friends over the course of a month than I've had with the last five AAA games I've played combine. And it was only twenty dollars. I guess I'm an idiot for spending money on entertainment that I and two friends all enjoyed thoroughly.

I was happier with my purchase of rust than any game I've bought since dragon age origins. Even if it never makes it to 1.0 I'm still fine with it as I've already gotten well over 100 hours of enjoyment from my purchase which is way more than most sixty dollar AAA games offer.

Bottom line is I bought an early access game for relatively cheap and enjoyed it thoroughly. So who are you to say I'm an idiot that threw money at an unfinished game. I would say you are the idiot for missing out on some fun times by blindly boycotting early access games even though many of them are hugely fun despite not being finished.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#30Blueandwhite87(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 11:13:22 PM
No rust is being updated a lot and I own that game but ok I'll share some games that seemed to do it wrong, starbound, stomping lands, castle story, nether that's just some big ones. Starbound made me scared to belive early access now.