This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cant delete file (tried unlocker and fileassassin)

#11Davel23Posted 8/11/2014 5:03:12 AM
/r is unnecessary, /f would be sufficient. /r does a full surface test of the disk, which is what takes so long. If disk corruption is what is causing the files to still appear it would be logical corruption, not physical. /f repairs logical problems, /r physical.

(Technically, /r also fixes logical problems but a full, lengthy surface check is not needed in this case.)
---
Your mom's box.
#12SinisterSlayPosted 8/11/2014 6:13:22 AM(edited)
Davel23 posted...
/r is unnecessary, /f would be sufficient. /r does a full surface test of the disk, which is what takes so long. If disk corruption is what is causing the files to still appear it would be logical corruption, not physical. /f repairs logical problems, /r physical.

(Technically, /r also fixes logical problems but a full, lengthy surface check is not needed in this case.)

Sort of, F won't fix file system issues. It just tells you you have them. It focuses mostly problems in space calculations, security descriptors, etc. (in fact if you have file system issues, windows may reboot and run the R version instead once the F version completes)
R tries to fix filesystem problems by using the NTFS backup filesystem (not really a backup but close enough concept wise).
And it's possible it could be physical damage, so might as well check that too.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13Davel23Posted 8/11/2014 6:38:28 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Davel23 posted...

Sort of, F won't fix file system issues. It just tells you you have them. It focuses mostly problems in space calculations, security descriptors, etc. (in fact if you have file system issues, windows may reboot and run the R version instead once the F version completes)
R tries to fix filesystem problems by using the NTFS backup filesystem (not really a backup but close enough concept wise).
And it's possible it could be physical damage, so might as well check that too.

Chkdsk /f needs exclusive access to the file system to able to fix any problems, it will alert you at runtime if it cannot lock the volume, then give you the option to either run in read-only mode (which will notify you if there are problems but not fix them) or to run at next system reboot at which time it will indeed find and fix filesystem problems. /r simply scans for bad sectors and recovers the data on them if possible.
---
Your mom's box.
#14Kerr AvonPosted 8/11/2014 7:26:09 AM
It is possible, but not likely, that the hard disk is beginning to fail, and that the area of the hard drive that stores the FAT entry for those files has become unwritable. More likely is that the FAT entry is corrupted but for some other, non-physical-failure related reason.

First of all, back up all the data/items that you don't want to lose. You should always do this anyway, but we never do until we first suffer a (to us) catastrophic loss of data, after which we realise that it's always a good idea to create backups.

When you've backed up the data that you want to keep, then format the drive. Do a low level (slow) format, which will tell you if there are any problems with the disc. Of course, if this is your C: drive then you'll need to reinstall Windows, drivers, utilities, etc, unless it's a certain make of laptop or desktop, in which case you can use the 'Factory reset/factory Install/Default Install/(whatever it's called on your machine) feature to save your manually having to install Windows (but do a low level format of C: yourself first, to see if there are any physical errors on the disc).
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#15SinisterSlayPosted 8/11/2014 7:33:52 AM
Kerr Avon posted...
It is possible, but not likely, that the hard disk is beginning to fail, and that the area of the hard drive that stores the FAT entry for those files has become unwritable. More likely is that the FAT entry is corrupted but for some other, non-physical-failure related reason.

First of all, back up all the data/items that you don't want to lose. You should always do this anyway, but we never do until we first suffer a (to us) catastrophic loss of data, after which we realise that it's always a good idea to create backups.

When you've backed up the data that you want to keep, then format the drive. Do a low level (slow) format, which will tell you if there are any problems with the disc. Of course, if this is your C: drive then you'll need to reinstall Windows, drivers, utilities, etc, unless it's a certain make of laptop or desktop, in which case you can use the 'Factory reset/factory Install/Default Install/(whatever it's called on your machine) feature to save your manually having to install Windows (but do a low level format of C: yourself first, to see if there are any physical errors on the disc).

That is horrible advice. You solved the common cold by taking the sick person outside, planting a nuclear bomb on their chest and detonating.

A chkdsk C: /R will do the same thing without losing all your data in the process.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#16Killah PriestPosted 8/11/2014 7:45:49 AM
TC: You spelled lynch wrong.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#17deadlyforcemanPosted 8/11/2014 7:56:36 AM
Have you tried saving another file with that same name in the same path?

Then delete that file?
---
Member of the WWEGSB Mafia
DSM for life...'95 GSX - 9.381 at 153mph
#18BrothaLynshHung(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2014 4:22:40 PM
hey guys thanks a lot for the replies! wow this board might be the only one on gamefaqs that doesnt troll.

i ended up running a "chkdsk /x /f / r" as suggested on a site last night before i fell asleep (it said it needed a reboot to work so i did), got stuck on 10% when i fell asleep woke up to it done

still same thing with files, cant verify location.

now for the other suggestion, very weird! i made a new file of every type but the two rars and it didnt seem to do anything, didnt ask me to delete the original. But!! then i deleted it manually and it went away! problem is now the folder gives me the cant verify location error, so all i did was replace the "file"s with "documents/folders"

also ya man lynch was taken on one game so i just use lynsh on everything now plus its kinda a morbid name for people who dont know the rapper haha.

any more suggestions?:) am i stuck with these booty shaking folders?
---
I kno it sounds stupid but if I get a fresh copy for rent tommarow will it have good graphics - Da Blazian
#19Killah PriestPosted 8/11/2014 4:24:53 PM
also ya man lynch was taken on one game so i just use lynsh on everything now plus its kinda a morbid name for people who dont know the rapper haha.

season of da siccness is legendary.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#20BrothaLynshHung(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2014 4:43:46 PM(edited)
ya man!!!!! thats old school i love everything lynch made. ebk!

i ended up refreshing the download folder and all the filed i changed to folders changed themselves back to 0byte files lol>.<

edit: i tried again because i never used an actual "file" extension to copy and paste the name, trying to replace the original glitchy one. i found a "file" file in itunes and copied pasted it, deleted the original glitchy, it did same thing and refreshed it back from 1 byte file to 0 byte glitchy undeletable one>.>
---
I kno it sounds stupid but if I get a fresh copy for rent tommarow will it have good graphics - Da Blazian