This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Balanced, competitive, but still varied FPS?

#1dunkisPosted 8/11/2014 4:18:07 PM
To put this short, I'm an ex-CoD player with some standards but needing a fix.

To be more descriptive, my friends and I would like a shooter we can play together strategically when desired, but I'd also like it to be something I can pick up and play myself and make progress in. CoD was perfect in that regard, and I accepted it for what it was, but Ghost finally just made me done with it, and it wasn't the greatest team game. I've looked at BF4 and heard good and bad, but mostly I just don't feel like supporting EA. So basically I'm asking for an FPS that is mostly balanced and competitive, but is still fun as far as options and progress go. While the shooter fix is what matters most, I also enjoy earning things, like the gold weapons from CoD as it made me try out each weapon. Suggestions my fellows?
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#2MortalDangerPosted 8/11/2014 4:20:16 PM
Tom Clancys ghost recon phantoms. Free.
---
God Bless America.
#3iscareu13Posted 8/11/2014 4:25:35 PM(edited)
CS:GO
- Decent Matchmaking (Decent Servers, Pretty Good at Even Teams, etc.)
- Drop System (Can easily make money and find awesome skins)
- A ranking system
- Tons of players
- Extremely competitive
- Extremely teamwork oriented (Once you get decent)
- Stat tracking
- Constantly getting updates
- Not too slow (Battlefield), but also not too fast (Quake)
- Actually a decent spectator game
#4Nineteen99Posted 8/11/2014 4:25:12 PM
iscareu13 posted...
- A ranking system
- Tons of players
- Extremely competitive
- Stat tracking

All with the community of a Moba.
---
"There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief."
#5Orestes417Posted 8/11/2014 4:25:56 PM
When I think competitive I think CS and to a lesser extent TF2. CoD doesn't even enter the discussion in the post killstreak era and BF has never really been "competitive" so much as it is a Michael Bay sandbox full of toys.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#6EasylePosted 8/11/2014 4:31:18 PM
Nineteen99 posted...
iscareu13 posted...
- A ranking system
- Tons of players
- Extremely competitive
- Stat tracking

All with the community of a Moba.

rekt
#7rainedownPosted 8/11/2014 4:38:43 PM
...Gotham city impostors!!!

*crickets chirp*
#8dunkis(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2014 5:17:37 PM
I guess when I say competitive, I mean more in the balanced sense rather than what would be played at league. I'd want a decent amount of casual play for quick pick-up matches, assuming skill still makes the biggest difference. I don't mind winning or losing so much as not dying through absurd means and not having to stay still for too long.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#9MahoganyTooth92Posted 8/11/2014 5:48:22 PM(edited)
Team Fortress 2. Great casual play, active competitive scene, mostly balanced stuff, very few things that are blatantly overpowered (Gunslinger, Wrangler, Pomson)

Teamwork is the heart of the game, and Team is even in the name, so that's your teamwork fix.

Weapons drop, and you can craft them into other weapons, or hats, so there's a feeling of progression, and there's even gold weapons, if you're good/rich/lucky enough to get one.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#10nightshadeAPosted 8/11/2014 6:18:57 PM
is cs for someone whos not even good in a halo type of game (10 kills a game for me is fantastic...)
thats why i like free for all shooters than team based stuff .........
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid