This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people that own a gaming PC refer to themselves as the "master race"?

#31juscallmeehxPosted 8/11/2014 3:55:08 PM
ssringo posted...
I have a better question:

Are the people that are calling themselves the "master race" being serious or is it that the people being called "peasants" are taking it serious?

Look up Poe's Law.
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.7GHz OC | 2x8GB RAM | Evga GTX 560 ti | 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD
#32noimnoturdaddyPosted 8/11/2014 4:11:56 PM(edited)
pothocket posted...
It is, and I didn't get it at first either. Then I got a PC and it kind of made sense after a few months. It's not about resolutions or how many polygons you can push. It's about ownership. It's about being the master of your domain vs being owned by microsoft/sony/nintendo.

When you buy a console that's their hardware, their software in the operating system, and their library of games that you're allowed to play. Gaming on a PC though gives you complete control over all that.

But yeah, a lot of kids use it as a stupid meme when they have nothing to contribute to the topic, and they think it does have to do with graphics.

Well most of it does have to do with graphics. I don't know about the ownership thing, if you PC game you can pirate I guess, but if you go legit then you're at the mercy of Steam/Origin/whatever online activation your game is probably using (except for companies like CD Project, but tbh I'm not really a fan of their work).

Overall PC has more than consoles, the only things that makes consoles better is the games either work or they don't (no worrying about whether or not the game will be compatible with your hardware out of the gate, fiddling with config files, etc.) and exclusive software... though the only titles that immediately come to mind as "worth it" are Mario Kart 8 and Dragon's Crown. The big problem for me with consoles is they charge you for online multiplayer, but provide no service, it's just garbage P2P with a bunch of lag and connection issues.

There really isn't a lot going for consoles, and library of the current gen (PS4/XB1) is mostly composed of remasters of games that would've looked that good (or better) when they first came out if they were released on PC as well (ie. Last of Us), or have looked that good on PC already and console gamers paid $60 for it last gen and whatever price to get it again ($40 - $60) to play it on their current-gen still-lesser-than-PC hardware... so again, if Last of Us was released on PC in 2013, it'd look better on my rig than it does right now on the PS4, and still run at 60fps... except I'd only be paying $60, whereas it being a console exclusive means $60 for it on PS3 and then $55 a year later to play it again on PS4, and still being dated visually. Lol. **** like this is exactly why saving up for a high-end PC and then buying games on sale is far better than getting a cheap console *now* and being *** ****ed non-stop by trash like this.

That trend isn't going to stop anytime soon, either. It looks like consoles have a long future of being resold things they've already paid for. It's pretty much robbery at this point imo, except people are too dumb to realize it.

So yes, PC master race, but with the overall quality of most games these days it doesn't mean as much as it used to. I use my PC for ... let's say "backwards compatibility" more than anything.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYS8QTjnfg
#33iemerg_Posted 8/11/2014 4:06:21 PM
Jedi454 posted...
It's kind of silly to name yourself such a stupid title.

Says the elitist that gets upset over me using a screensaver stop trolling, you're bad.
---
"Only real men can cook bacon shirtless" me
#34Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2014 4:08:01 PM
iemerg_ posted...
Jedi454 posted...
It's kind of silly to name yourself such a stupid title.

Says the elitist that gets upset over me using a screensaver stop trolling, you're bad.

What?
---
'User Name Solnot -1: Suspended' Well that's one "XBRO" down for the count.
#35KaijuuPosted 8/11/2014 4:11:04 PM
They like to feel superior for spending far more than they need to.
---
Nothing's non-fat. That's why the world is going to explode one day.
#36noimnoturdaddyPosted 8/11/2014 4:13:37 PM
Kaijuu posted...
They like to feel superior for spending far more than they need to.

It's like any intelligent investment - costs a lot in the short-term, but pays off significantly in the long run. Consoles are the opposite.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYS8QTjnfg
#37Dieinafire1Posted 8/11/2014 4:18:06 PM
Jedi454 the peasant force is strong with this one
#38ThePaleRiderpPosted 8/11/2014 4:22:40 PM
I always thought Yahtzee was being sarcastic in that video. Meh oh well.
---
Valar morghulis
#39KillerTrufflePosted 8/11/2014 4:24:52 PM
ThePaleRiderp posted...

He was.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#40ThePaleRiderpPosted 8/11/2014 4:29:08 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...

He was.

Oh. So what's the big deal then? Honestly when I first heard it I chuckled a bit but other than that I saw it as nothing more than a simple joke Yahtzee made. He tends to make alot of them. I really don't see how it got blown out of proportion like it is now.
---
Valar morghulis