This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Time to upgrade...wouldn't mind some opinions

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Time to upgrade...wouldn't mind some opinions
1 year ago#1
So here it goes. I bought a prebuilt from ecollegepc 3 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago (found the receipt lol). I have never actually built one from scratch myself so the upgrade process makes me nervous but I have done basics like plugging in harddrives, changing graphics cards (tried out crossfire also), and installing RAM. Messing around with the power supply, motherboard, and cpu + cooler puts me on edge a bit.

I will post my build below

- i5 2500k @ stock

- Thermaltake Frio

- Asus P8P67-M PRO REV 3.0

- 4GB Corsair XMS3 12800 DDR3 1600Mhz (2x2GB)

- 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300

- ITB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Serial ATA300

- 22x LG SATA Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD-RW

- MSI Lightning Extreme GTX580 (3GB)

- Cooler Master Black HAF 922

- 750w Antec TruePower TP-750 Modular

- 2x120mm Case fans

- NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Control & Temperature Display

- BenQ XL2420Z 1080p

I know some of that will be useless information but just wanted to give the best idea of what I am working with. Now on to the questions I feel are necessary.

Is the i5 2500k becoming outdated? I had it overclocked before and it worked alright but this motherboard is so hard to get a stable overclock going. So many different general settings to overclock with. I hate it. When I did have it stable enough it was around 4.5- 4.6 IIRC. It would occasionally hangup and require a restart but very seldom. Like I said, stable 'enough'.

The motherboard is what really gets me. I had crossfire 6950s for maybe 2-3 months and never felt comfortable with how they basically touched. I would like more room for dual GPUs IF I decide to go that route. Another thing is the overclocking ability to be straight to the point.

The thermaltake frio seemed to keep my CPU temperatures well within where I read it should be when it was overclocked and running Prime 95, but I wouldn't mind the best possible CPU fan for overclocking.

Definitely want to move to 8GB of RAM. I never have many programs open at all when gaming. Maybe the blur busters strobe utility for the monitor. All that is in the taskbar is Steam, MSE, and Nvidia control panel. I try to keep it as light as possible. Maybe 5-6 chrome tabs also. Would 8 GB be enough? Brand?

Fine with the SSD. Sure its small but all my Steam games sit on either the secondary HDD or my Passport Ultra

The graphics card is still rocking pretty well but eventually I want to upgrade it. That might be when the 800 series hits or maybe the next set. Who knows, I don't have tons of money to throw at the PC so I have to make what I can last. I do like the simplicity of a single GPU setup, but the fact remains that even at 1080p, its hard to keep certain games @ 60fps. I really want to play Metro series but refuse to at 40 fps dips on High.

I am fairly happy with the tower despite it being enormous. The fans inside however need to be adjusted or replaced. The top fan works fine but the side panel is completely open and has a single small fan mounted where I can fit a much larger fan. I don't know what fans to look at and how to take them out and put the new ones back in.

I guess that is it for now. I didn't know where to post this exactly since its going to be a big upgrade covering several pieces, but the motherboard and the case fans
1 year ago#2
CPU is good still. Might want to upgrade the GPU to a 770 though.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
1 year ago#3
I would upgrade your 4 GB of RAM to 8 GB first.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
1 year ago#4
Overall you still have a pretty solid rig. The i5 2500k still holds up well. I would see if you can overclock it as well and if you had it up to 4.5- 4.6 GHz then why not overclock up there again? I think that's a good overclock as is. I wouldn't bother buying another cooler just to squeeze a few hundred more megahurtz out of it. It doesn't sound like it would be worth the money.

Upgrading the RAM to 8 GB is not a bad idea. This is about as cheap as you're going to get at the moment:

If you only have 2 RAM slots total:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324

If you have 4 RAM slots total with two empty slots:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

If you want to try out SLI and want to roll the dice on a used GeForce GTX 580 3 GB this guy on ebay is selling one for $155 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580-03G-P3-1591-AR-3-GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-PCI-Express-x16-/141373370394?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item20ea82701a

Other than that then the only worthy upgrade I would suggest would be the Geforce 780 for a single card solution:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=88434&vpn=GTX780%2DDC2OC%2D3GD5&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1248

But you may want to wait for the 800 series to release in a few months; it's up to you.

For case fans you'll need to know what size fans you need in order for us to help you better. As far as brand names go I hear a lot of people loving Noctua fans but I've never personally used them.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
1 year ago#5
the motherboard is also to have space in between the 2 GPUS
1 year ago#6
fatali posted...
I would upgrade your 4 GB of RAM to 8 GB first.

---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
1 year ago#7
Wait for the 800 series cards in October.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
1 year ago#8
I will more than likely order 2 4gb sticks. 8 gb should be plenty right?

The motherboard is the main thing I want to swap out though. If I went SLI, I don't like how the cards almost touch. And the overclocking process is painful to say the least.
1 year ago#9
bump
1 year ago#10
Most everything has been said.

More RAM
New GPU
Wait for 800 series

LtMessiahDM504 posted...
I will more than likely order 2 4gb sticks. 8 gb should be plenty right?

...Not 8GB, 12GB. 2x2GB+2x4GB
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Time to upgrade...wouldn't mind some opinions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived